1. Week 43of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco C243PBK Edela + Misc Prize Pack

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco Endela + Misc Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Oct 26 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Patina, not sure how to feel.

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Ashevillain, Jul 30, 2018.

1. dirc

dirc

Jan 31, 2018
    for the patina purists - I have a serious question... is it still okay in your book to maybe semi-force the beginning of a patina with deliberate fruit/veg cutting? (leaving it on a while on purpose etc)

(imho, I think I might be okay with it, just to start a somewhat uniform patina, to help prevent the dreaded rust spots that might otherwise take hold first)

2. DocJD

DocJD

Jan 29, 2016
    :p LOL ! "Patina purist " is for me oxymoronic . My whole love of patina is to escape from obsessive perfectionism and constant fussing . Freedom to use and not worry .

So it's definitively OK in my book to help along a natural patina . Just don't let the patina become another PITA thing to maintain and protect !

Yonose likes this.
  3. drail

drail

Feb 23, 2008
    The best thing about patina? It makes your steak taste like it came from a U.S. Navy galley. I love an old piece of carbon steel with patina....

DocJD likes this.
  4. Ashevillain

Ashevillain

Jun 13, 2018
    I'm really happy to hear everyone's (more or less) philosophical points on the subject. Nothing in my collection really calls out for patina. To my eye fighters should be shiny fresh, folders should be stainless, working fixed blades do the patina aesthetic but mine is coated so I guess the scuffed black will have to do. I'm glad I'm not the only weirdo who caresses and thinks about their knives till they have mystical powers haha.

5. Seesteel

Seesteel Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 7, 2018
    I like this philosophical-patina-thread. :D
    [​IMG]

DocJD likes this.
  6. OfficerCamp

OfficerCamp Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 11, 2014
    Aesthetics only. Plain and simple. However if you let it “patina” over a very long period of time you may run into a more serious problem; full blown rust that can’t just be polished away.

7. DJC72

DJC72 Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 1, 2014
    467C1CCB-EE87-449F-AB94-8FF6B5542A42.jpeg To bad it’s really overcast here today in Western Pennsylvania. There are blue/purple hues on this blade. A good patina adds character to a blade. No two are quite the same.

8. 19-3ben

19-3ben Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 27, 2015

I love that idea. That's how I start every patina. I will purpose use a knife on things like fruits, or hot chicken/steak, etc... it's a patina that is earned through use, rather than by setting it in a glass with some vinegar.

DocJD likes this.
  9. SuburbanBarbarian

SuburbanBarbarian

Aug 12, 2018
  10. Darkera

Darkera

Oct 22, 2016
    I think it is intellectually dishonest and the denial of a cross-cultural phenomenon to refute sentimentality of objects, which is inherently based on experience and appearance. You might as well argue that a perfect replica of the Parthenon or Mona Lisa using the same materials and authentic methods are the same as the real deal. Or that the same model of a knife bought at Wal-Mart today has the same qualities as the same model that bears wear and stories from your great-grandfather.

A patina and other signs of wear denote usage and therefore experiences, stories, and personal attachment.

solphilos and DJC72 like this.
  11. solphilos

solphilos Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Oct 17, 2009
    I love the look of old, well used knives and the patina is simply one part of that aesthetic. Pocket worn with aged bone completes the look for me.
    It has to be "authentic" though, "forced" patina looks shoddy to me, like a pair of jeans that come faded from the factory. I used the quotations because terms like natural and artificial are really just semantics when it comes to patina. Its really just corrosion at the end of the day.

12. solphilos

solphilos Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Oct 17, 2009
    Agreed! I like "natural" patina because it changes with every use, making the knife feel almost organic and alive.

Cryptyc and DocJD like this.
  13. Revolverrodger

Revolverrodger

Jul 23, 2007
    I used to be OCD about having pristine knives until I started usingvthem more. Now I love the look of a patina on my knives.
    And it does inhibit rust quite significantly

DocJD likes this.
  14. USMCPOP

USMCPOP

Jan 6, 2016
    I am a victim of semi-forced patina. My folks made me go to school, get a college degree, get a job. Then a wife and two kids! Look at these patina pics. I swear I wasn't over 60! My knives still look good ...

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Darkera and Pilsner like this.
  15. mqqn

mqqn Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 12, 2009

It is the eternal question of any collectible: Experience the item or just own the item.

I prefer the experience.

best

mqqn

Darkera likes this.
  16. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox

Apr 13, 2016
    Take it or leave it. Of no consequence to me. I don't believe in safe queens or dust collectors. I use what I buy, always and in every aspect of my life. Can't take things with me when I die so why waste the time, energy or money? That's my take.

However I also don't go looking to put patina on anything. I like things to be completely organic and natural in life.

Darkera likes this.
  17. Pilsner

Pilsner Platinum Member Platinum Member

Oct 28, 2017
    We recently came back from a few weeks in the mountains. My younger son had a CS Grohmann Boat Knife. He was bothered by the rather nice patina it had picked up. I made a deal with him. I sandpapered it - <5mins - then he sharpened and stropped it. He got it shaving sharp, just turned 13. I showed him some of my CS knives with natural patina, but it is his current preference for shininess. He oiled it before putting it away. ;)

BeyondTheBox and Darkera like this.
  18. Darkera

Darkera

Oct 22, 2016
    Here's the results of the only patina that I forced. I was very pleased with it but it of course lost the dramatic look over time. I just bought a GEC knife and will let it develop a patina naturally.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

SteelJunkee, DocJD and DJC72 like this.