Patina, not sure how to feel.

for the patina purists - I have a serious question... is it still okay in your book to maybe semi-force the beginning of a patina with deliberate fruit/veg cutting? (leaving it on a while on purpose etc)

(imho, I think I might be okay with it, just to start a somewhat uniform patina, to help prevent the dreaded rust spots that might otherwise take hold first)

for the patina purists - I have a serious question... is it still okay in your book to maybe semi-force the beginning of a patina with deliberate fruit/veg cutting? (leaving it on a while on purpose etc)

(imho, I think I might be okay with it, just to start a somewhat uniform patina, to help prevent the dreaded rust spots that might otherwise take hold first)
:p LOL ! "Patina purist " is for me oxymoronic . My whole love of patina is to escape from obsessive perfectionism and constant fussing . Freedom to use and not worry .

So it's definitively OK in my book to help along a natural patina . Just don't let the patina become another PITA thing to maintain and protect !

The best thing about patina? It makes your steak taste like it came from a U.S. Navy galley. I love an old piece of carbon steel with patina....

I'm really happy to hear everyone's (more or less) philosophical points on the subject. Nothing in my collection really calls out for patina. To my eye fighters should be shiny fresh, folders should be stainless, working fixed blades do the patina aesthetic but mine is coated so I guess the scuffed black will have to do. I'm glad I'm not the only weirdo who caresses and thinks about their knives till they have mystical powers haha.

I like this philosophical-patina-thread. :D
QOrmPB2.jpg

Aesthetics only. Plain and simple. However if you let it “patina” over a very long period of time you may run into a more serious problem; full blown rust that can’t just be polished away.

I love that idea. That's how I start every patina. I will purpose use a knife on things like fruits, or hot chicken/steak, etc... it's a patina that is earned through use, rather than by setting it in a glass with some vinegar.

When will people stop reading "character" and "soul" into inanimate objects based purely on their appearance? It might be commonplace but it's intellectually vacant.
I think it is intellectually dishonest and the denial of a cross-cultural phenomenon to refute sentimentality of objects, which is inherently based on experience and appearance. You might as well argue that a perfect replica of the Parthenon or Mona Lisa using the same materials and authentic methods are the same as the real deal. Or that the same model of a knife bought at Wal-Mart today has the same qualities as the same model that bears wear and stories from your great-grandfather.

A patina and other signs of wear denote usage and therefore experiences, stories, and personal attachment.

I love the look of old, well used knives and the patina is simply one part of that aesthetic. Pocket worn with aged bone completes the look for me.
It has to be "authentic" though, "forced" patina looks shoddy to me, like a pair of jeans that come faded from the factory. I used the quotations because terms like natural and artificial are really just semantics when it comes to patina. Its really just corrosion at the end of the day.

So it's definitively OK in my book to help along a natural patina . Just don't let the patina become another PITA thing to maintain and protect !
Agreed! I like "natural" patina because it changes with every use, making the knife feel almost organic and alive.

I used to be OCD about having pristine knives until I started usingvthem more. Now I love the look of a patina on my knives.
And it does inhibit rust quite significantly

for the patina purists - I have a serious question... is it still okay in your book to maybe semi-force the beginning of a patina ...

I am a victim of semi-forced patina. My folks made me go to school, get a college degree, get a job. Then a wife and two kids! Look at these patina pics. I swear I wasn't over 60! My knives still look good ...

40022324_508515306277474_8326093015839932416_n.jpg
40077649_508515569610781_4933694310907379712_n.jpg

This is intended to be mostly in the realm of opinion but for folks who enjoy patina on their blades. I have a few knives in tool steels (ie: a2, d2, 1095) and I’ve always kept them as unstained as I could, but recently I wonder why. I know resale value probably is hurt but functionally is there any reason to continue the oiling and rubbing? Such as maybe a stained/patina blade would have more friction going through stuff.

Tl;dr help me decide whether to keep blades shiny lol

It is the eternal question of any collectible: Experience the item or just own the item.

I prefer the experience.

best

mqqn

Take it or leave it. Of no consequence to me. I don't believe in safe queens or dust collectors. I use what I buy, always and in every aspect of my life. Can't take things with me when I die so why waste the time, energy or money? That's my take.

However I also don't go looking to put patina on anything. I like things to be completely organic and natural in life.

We recently came back from a few weeks in the mountains. My younger son had a CS Grohmann Boat Knife. He was bothered by the rather nice patina it had picked up. I made a deal with him. I sandpapered it - <5mins - then he sharpened and stropped it. He got it shaving sharp, just turned 13. I showed him some of my CS knives with natural patina, but it is his current preference for shininess. He oiled it before putting it away. ;)

Here's the results of the only patina that I forced. I was very pleased with it but it of course lost the dramatic look over time. I just bought a GEC knife and will let it develop a patina naturally.

2n69ob5.jpg

xcn6vs.jpg

Back