1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 29 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Ron Flaherty Folder

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ron Flaherty folder , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, July 20 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Patina, not sure how to feel.

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Ashevillain, Jul 30, 2018.

1. SeppukuSamurai

SeppukuSamurai Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 19, 2014
    Thanks JD,

More often than not, cheering up is exactly what I need to do. Said and done simply.

I believe you're right, despite those denials. My wedding band reads "From Dot to Pete." Circa 1953. Was my grandfather's.

Patina is good, it adds character.

DocJD likes this.
  2. Murphjd25

Murphjd25 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 27, 2016
    I love Patinas, shows character and that you actually use your tools!

DocJD likes this.
  3. 19-3ben

19-3ben Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 27, 2015
    To paraphrase Will Rogers, “If there are no knives in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went."

As for patinas... bring it on!!! I like mine natural, and I like mine deep, natural, and totally non-uniform.
    IMG_5404.jpg

Seesteel likes this.
  4. AntDog

AntDog Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 3, 2001
    Patina does protect against rust. I've seen it too many times to deny it. My son has accidentally left a few knives and tools in the back yard... I found them with the mower a couple of times. The darkly patina'd carbon steel stuff was fine, just darker and maybe needing a sharpening. "Stainless" stuff was a speckled up, rusty mess.

That said, I absolutely hate forced patinas. I've said it many times: patinas should be "earned", not "forced". Just my opinion.

DRLyman, Yonose and jbmonkey like this.
  5. Lapedog

Lapedog Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 7, 2016
    Natural looks so much better imho.

DRLyman and jbmonkey like this.
  6. jbmonkey

jbmonkey Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jun 9, 2011
    one can use a carbon steel knife and not get a patina on its. waxing or even oiling has that effect. I have hard used carbon knives that are still clean steel.

many of the patinas I see on here are forced and look poor to me. the natural ones look far better to my eye but as usual, too each their own.

7. 91bravo

91bravo Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 29, 2008
    Exactly, to each their own. I like both forced and natural patinas. Sorry you don't like my forced patinas. That's what's nice about this knife hobby, there's something for everyone out there!

Pilsner, ATJ999, Lapedog and 3 others like this.
  8. bolabeenz

bolabeenz

Jun 23, 2012
    No, knives go to heaven.

Lapedog likes this.
  9. 22-rimfire

22-rimfire Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2005
    If I had my druthers, all of my blades would look brand new after years of use. I am not a fan of patinas on a knife. I don't need knife character.

I always view a patina on a blade as a negative (in terms of value) if looking at a "used" knife.

Added: I might add, I compare it to a new car. I want it to always look absolutely brand new.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2018
  10. 91bravo

91bravo Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 29, 2008
    A patina is a positive thing in my book!

MarriedTheMedic likes this.
  11. danbot

danbot Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Natural patina. This knife is over 100 years old I believe. Obviously I have no idea how it was used or stored in the past, but I use it at work from time to time and it just lives in it's leather sheath in my toolbox. Also, there is no a/c in this shop.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 31, 2018
    MolokaiRider, microbe, AntDog and 2 others like this.
  12. jbmonkey

Jun 9, 2011
    no need to be sorry. you like 'em that's all the matters. who cares what I like or dont.:)

91bravo likes this.
  13. jbmonkey

Jun 9, 2011
    do ya know its 100 years old from searching on the internet.:)

91bravo likes this.
  14. danbot

Oct 31, 2009
    I read on this forum and elsewhere that the William Rogers company manufactured from 1830-1855.

jbmonkey likes this.
  15. 22-rimfire

22-rimfire Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2005
    That would make the knife at least 150 years old..... might not merit the tool box storage. We need to treat our elders with respect. ;)

16. danbot

Oct 31, 2009
    Well, it seems to be holding up just fine. Had it in there for about 10 years now. And its got some really nice company too! 12 inch vernier calipers and a Carbone Opinel !:):thumbsup:

17. BladeScout

BladeScout Basic Member Basic Member

May 16, 2010
    (dont make remarks about members oiling and rubbing anything … ):D

On a more serious note; maintain your knives to keep them rust free. Patina will occur on some knives - use the knives and embrace the patina.
    As for whether it looks good or not; personally, I kind of like the natural patina as seen on some knives both in this thread and for example on a Spyderco Super Blue.

18. BladeScout

BladeScout Basic Member Basic Member

May 16, 2010
    This.
    I use my WWII Cattaraugus 225Q and its still going strong.
    A while ago, I gave a vintage Western (I want to say in the vein of the L66) along with a leather sheath I made to an elderly family member so he could use it to replace a similar knife, which was in his toolbox for a lifetime until it was worn down and eventually lost.
    These old knives were made to be used and they work.

danbot likes this.
  19. Wanimator

Wanimator

Mar 7, 2014
    After a while I have gotten into living instead of caring. Now a scratch and patina on a knife or watch tends to tell a story rather than make me cringe. A multi layered story of cuisine and tobacco, people and places, laughter and crying.

DRLyman and DocJD like this.
  20. microbe

microbe

Apr 6, 2016
    I have an old pocketknife with a brass bolsters that I cleaned a little too well, resulting in polished brass look. It looked way to new after that. Now I am waiting another 20 years till the brass discolors again... I will not polish those bolsters ever again.

DocJD likes this.