• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Paypal Fees

And what exactly is easy about trying to divine just what the seller expects the buyer to pay for so the seller gets his/her "net" amount?
You say "$xxx net to me, shipped". Does that mean $xxx includes the shipping or not?
Am I paying for insurance "if I want it"? Because I don't care if you insure it or not, if it never arrives or it gets damaged in shipping, that's on you.
My PayPal fees run 2.228%, I have no clue what yours are. Should I assume you pay what I pay?
I have an even easier idea, see below.

Same here.

Net to me, shipped means just that. Once I have the net amount I'm asking in my account, I ship you the knife. As for the insurance, tracking, etc, it's my responsibility to get your knife safely into your hands. That means I'm going to protect myself my insuring it and having you sign for it at your end. I'm not going to send out a knife worth between $300-900 and just hope you get it. I didn't get the feedback rating I have by taking foolish chances with knives that rightfully belong to the buyer/trader.

Each time this subject comes up, people argue both sides of their case of how to do it. I continue to do it the way I think is best, and respect that some of you won't buy a knife I list because of that. I'm OK with that, I respect your right to disagree.

Net to me, shipped means just that. Once I have the net amount I'm asking in my account, I ship you the knife. As for the insurance, tracking, etc, it's my responsibility to get your knife safely into your hands. That means I'm going to protect myself my insuring it and having you sign for it at your end. I'm not going to send out a knife worth between $300-900 and just hope you get it. I didn't get the feedback rating I have by taking foolish chances with knives that rightfully belong to the buyer/trader.

Each time this subject comes up, people argue both sides of their case of how to do it. I continue to do it the way I think is best, and respect that some of you won't buy a knife I list because of that. I'm OK with that, I respect your right to disagree.

Wow, quite a response to this post. Thanks to all, it appears that it's a matter of interpretation. Thanx and I can't wait to purchase my first knife on this site.

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/1093262-Microtech-L-UDT-Classic-User-150 I have my eye on this, jleephoto, hope it does not sell until I have the funds. (one more week--LOL)

Peace everyone.

Last edited:
Fun size: I have had great experiences buying and selling on this site, I am sure you will to!

I know this thread is winding down......I just saw the following this morning in the exchange:

I only take PP and need to add 4%.

I simply moved on the next post

Don't get me wrong. I'm not one of the folks who think you are doing anything immoral. I think you are violating the spirit of the PayPal user agreement, but they don't seem to care much about people blatantly violating the letter of the same agreement, so why should I? If you were selling something hard to find that I really wanted I wouldn't let your style get in the way. I would just ask you for a bottom line you needed if I was to use standard PayPal. I just choose to offer a single price to keep it simple for everyone. To each their own.

But just out of curiosity, let's say you are selling a $300 knife. You are including the S&H costs in that, so you want $300 "net" before you ship.
Let's also assume your PayPal fees are the seemingly universal 3.5%.
How much should I send you?

More to the point, how many people on this forum do you think would come up with the correct number?

That is my main point. It is not something most people know how to do correctly and would be easier to just ask for price "x" and offer a discount for "cash equivalent" or something like that.

I look at it a little differently. In this day of instant gratification it seems most people want to use Paypal so they can get their knife shipped out as soon as possible. People don't want to wait the 2 to 4 days it takes for a money order to make it to the seller then that 2 to 4 day turn around with the knife back to the buyer. Me, I'm not in that much of a hurry. I offer PP or USPO money order. If you want to go the PP route your paying the 3%. If not just send a money order. As far as pricing goes if I'm selling a knife for $200.00 I'm not inclined to advertise it for $206.00. If someone can't figure out how to add 3% to a number shame on them. I have noticed younger peoples math skills aren't all that great but it is basic math.

What really grinds my gears is the people who ask for 4, 5 or even 6% for PayPal fees... That is just insulting to me and I refuse to buy from those types.

I agree...

Why do people do that? If you're going to ask for the buyers to pay the fees at least ask for only the correct amount which is actually 3%.

Who in God's name had the audacity to ask for 6%? That person should be banned.

I agree...

Why do people do that? If you're going to ask for the buyers to pay the fees at least ask for only the correct amount which is actually 3%.

Who in God's name had the audacity to ask for 6%? That person should be banned.

You know what? Now that I see it, I strongly believe there should be a new rule that doesn't allow sellers to ask more than 3% in paypal fees. Paypal fees are 3% PERIOD. There is no reason to ask for more than that.

You know what? Now that I see it, I strongly believe there should be a new rule that doesn't allow sellers to ask more than 3% in paypal fees. Paypal fees are 3% PERIOD. There is no reason to ask for more than that.

Actually I feel it's better to have a rule that prohibits PayPal GIFT requests totally to avoid all wars. CPFMP, the flashlight forum, has this in place.

Single item, single price, goods payment only - let the seller figure out if he wants to factor what all fees in that single price. Besides the prices here are lower than most retailers, so fights over % and other ethical issues are not warranted. That's the only fair way in my opinion.

Last edited:
I look at it a little differently. In this day of instant gratification it seems most people want to use Paypal so they can get their knife shipped out as soon as possible. People don't want to wait the 2 to 4 days it takes for a money order to make it to the seller then that 2 to 4 day turn around with the knife back to the buyer. Me, I'm not in that much of a hurry.

That is not why I use paypal at all. I find it much more convenient, efficient and reliable to use paypal rather than to purchase & mail a money order and then hope that the USPS delivers it. Plus you have the added protection afforded buyers by paypal. With a rare exceptions I could care less if a shipment takes a couple of additional days to get delivered.

I started just adding the 3% to the payment being sent and will no longer do the gift option. A few dollars is priceless for having a means of recourse if the deal were to go bad. If you don't like the seller's terms, you ALWAYS have the option of just not buying from them, which is kind of hard to do sometimes when they have something you feel you just can't live without. It just comes down to discipline I guess, and exercising your options.

BTW, whenever I post something for sale I will either pay the fees myself or just put the purchase price as "net to me". However way the buyer wants to pay is up to them. I wouldn't feel comfortable asking for a gift option.

;)

Last edited:
Using the paypal gift option is fraudulent. You accepted the terms of service, you should abide by them. BTW using that option makes honest people pay the price to keep paypal available. To put a finer point on it, if you are unethical enough to defraud paypal then how could I trust you not to reverse the payment when I'm not protected?

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Fun size: I have had great experiences buying and selling on this site, I am sure you will to!

I know this thread is winding down......I just saw the following this morning in the exchange:

:thumbup: I agree with Ernie1980. If you are a little sketchy on the proposed terms of the sale, just move on.

Last edited:
Paypal is proposing a policy change on the gift option of sending money. It was originally created for sending money between family and friends, where a means of recourse was not necessary.

According to the Paypal press release, the new policy states that if the sender chooses to send money using the gift option, they are now required to submit proof of relation or friendship directly to Paypal prior to the funds being released.

Acceptable forms of proof include but are not limited to:
- A family photo/portrait
- DNA sample (pending test results, fees paid by sender)
- A letter from your mother, father, or legal guardian (notarized letter required)
- A short story of an adventure you and your "friend" had (will be verified by a professional and courteous Paypal customer service representative)
- A photo of the sender and recipient which clearly shows similar physical features which can only be attributed through a shared genetic make-up
- Detailed description of a birth mark or uncommon physical characteristic in a "private" or otherwise less visible area on the recipient or vice-versa.
- Yes, I am kidding :-D

Last edited:

Considering that adding 3% to "X" to get "Y" will not net you "X" when you take 3% out of "Y", you do have to add more than 3% to the asking price to "net" the asking price.

$100 + $3 (or 3% of $100) = $103
$103 - $3.09 (or 3% of $103) = $99.91

Just sayin.

Considering that adding 3% to "X" to get "Y" will not net you "X" when you take 3% out of "Y", you do have to add more than 3% to the asking price to "net" the asking price.

$100 + $3 (or 3% of $100) = $103
$103 - $3.09 (or 3% of $103) = $99.91

Just sayin.

Are people really going to bitch over a few cents though?

So I'll send a picture of Brad Pitt, for genetic resemblance.

Paypal is proposing a policy change on the gift option of sending money. It was originally created for sending money between family and friends, where a means of recourse was not necessary.

According to the Paypal press release, the new policy states that if the sender chooses to send money using the gift option, they are now required to submit proof directly to Paypal prior to the funds being released.

Acceptable forms of proof include but are not limited to:
- A family photo/portrait
- DNA sample (pending test results, fees paid by sender)
- A letter from your mother, father, or legal guardian (notarized letter required)
- A short story of an adventure you and your "friend" had (will be verified by a professional and courteous Paypal customer service representative)
- A photo of the sender and recipient which clearly shows similar physical features which can only be attributed through a shared genetic make-up
- Yet to be determined

Haha!
I've been wanting an AFCK for a while now and almost jumped on it until I saw that disclaimer.....next.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not one of the folks who think you are doing anything immoral. I think you are violating the spirit of the PayPal user agreement, but they don't seem to care much about people blatantly violating the letter of the same agreement, so why should I? If you were selling something hard to find that I really wanted I wouldn't let your style get in the way. I would just ask you for a bottom line you needed if I was to use standard PayPal. I just choose to offer a single price to keep it simple for everyone. To each their own.

But just out of curiosity, let's say you are selling a $300 knife. You are including the S&H costs in that, so you want $300 "net" before you ship.
Let's also assume your PayPal fees are the seemingly universal 3.5%.
How much should I send you?

More to the point, how many people on this forum do you think would come up with the correct number?

That is my main point. It is not something most people know how to do correctly and would be easier to just ask for price "x" and offer a discount for "cash equivalent" or something like that.

The folks on this forum are smarter than you seem to expect. I've never had a buyer who couldn't either figure it out themselves or ask me what total they should send.

yes but paypal will reverse the money if you are buying/selling switchblades, guns or ammo and anything else that is on there list that they don't want there serves to be used for. that is why I see a lot of people want the gift so they can keep there money too.

Back