1. The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

PayPal friends and family

Discussion in 'FEEDBACK: The Good, The Bad, The Ugly!' started by Salo, Aug 11, 2019.

1. Salo

Salo

Jun 8, 2013
    ive been chatting with someone about a knife I’m interested in and we’ve agreed upon a price but he is insisting I send the money through friends and family using the argument that I could scam him if I send it with goods and services. I even agreed to pay the PayPal fees and it’s perplexing.
    I don’t feel like there’s ever a good reason to send a large sum of money with no buyer protection. The seller is a member on here and he has positive feedback but it still worries me. Thoughts anyone?

2. Danke42

Danke42

Feb 10, 2015
    Walk away.

3. Steven65

Steven65 Traditional Hog Platinum Member

Mar 11, 2008
    ^^^This^^^

Bigfattyt, Liberty43, bonky and 3 others like this.
  4. Kiteman72

Kiteman72 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 22, 2015
    Don't do it.

Bigfattyt, Liberty43, bonky and 2 others like this.
  5. Dadpool

Dadpool Gold Member Gold Member

May 18, 2015
    Yuuuuup. Hard pass, you can find this knife again down the road.

Bigfattyt, Liberty43, bonky and 2 others like this.
  6. WValtakis

WValtakis Hand Engraving, Anodizing and Embellishment Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

May 29, 2004
    Hard pass, not worth giving up the buyer protection...you could send money and he could just say "Thanks, have a nice day". Is it a user on this site?

7. Salo

Salo

Jun 8, 2013
    I’ve been searching for this particular knife for over 5 years and the maker isn’t really active anymore. That’s the only reason I’m torn at all. As a matter of fact it is a member on here and he’s got good feedback. But still....

Dadpool likes this.
  8. WValtakis

WValtakis Hand Engraving, Anodizing and Embellishment Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

May 29, 2004
    If he's a member here, he should know that F&F is highly frowned upon here. Aside from the previous issues raised, it is theft of services from PayPal and strictly against the ToS agreement.

9. Boru13

Boru13 Super Moderator Staff Member Super Mod Moderator

Apr 25, 2000
    @Salo
    Going to move this thread to GBU for more exposure.

10. PeteyTwoPointOne

PeteyTwoPointOne Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jun 10, 2014
    No...don't walk away from the deal...

RUN AWAY from it!!! :eek:

Bigfattyt, Triton, RICKSTER and 6 others like this.
  11. Boru13

Boru13 Super Moderator Staff Member Super Mod Moderator

Apr 25, 2000
    There's never a good reason, especially if it's just to buy a knife.
    Once the seller requests F&F, their feedback score would mean nothing to me.

Bigfattyt, Triton, TheEdge01 and 16 others like this.
  12. Coreman

Coreman Platinum Member Platinum Member

Apr 3, 2016
    Don't think twice... you don't want to pay F&F.

13. mycough

mycough

May 20, 2007
    No. The fact that they would bring it up would send a huge red flag up.
    You will find another knife. Do not risk it.

Russ

Bigfattyt, TOMBSTONE, bonky and 2 others like this.
  14. Barman1

Barman1 Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 21, 2013
    Inactive maker, I'm assuming it's custom?
    Folder or fixed?
    If it's a folder it could have issues that can no longer be addressed.
    I've been in that spot and still have the folder that needs a serious spa treatment.
    I had no recourse, should have listened to my inner skeptic.

onekerf and Vaporstang like this.
  15. blades&wrenches

blades&wrenches Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 11, 2014
    Funny, because he could just as easily scam you if you sent F&F. If you can’t agree on G&S, walk away.

Triton, onekerf and WValtakis like this.
  16. Insipid Moniker

Insipid Moniker Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 28, 2011
    Put the seller straight onto your ignore list.

Bigfattyt, Triton, TOMBSTONE and 7 others like this.
  17. Sergeua

Sergeua Gold Member Gold Member

May 1, 2016
    Sounds like Canadian exchange with their EMT only bull.

18. jacksterp

jacksterp Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 3, 2011
    The hell with that.

Tell him to sell it on Ebay.

Triton, onekerf and WValtakis like this.
  19. Vaporstang

Vaporstang Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 8, 2014
    I'll pile on: WALK!

Also this:

Bigfattyt and onekerf like this.
  20. dsutton24

dsutton24 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 9, 2018
    My colleague b&w has it exactly right. Goods and Services protects you, the buyer, but puts the seller at a disadvantage if he's going to try to pull something shady. If you agree to Friends and Family you've stuck your own neck out if something goes wrong.

An inactive account could mean any number of things. The feedback score of an active member has some relevance. An inactive account might be perfectly safe in terms of the transaction. It might be in the hands of somebody's shifty brother in law. Who knows?

At this point the seller knows you're anxious. That could make you ripe for picking... You're at a further disadvantage.

As in most things in life, you're better off being patient, and using your tools (PayPal, etc.) correctly. I've got knives that I've been looking for for decades. I'm not going to get all het up and let somebody I don't know scam me.

Remember, if something goes wrong, you're going to have to jump through a bunch of hoops to get your money back, and even then it's not a sure thing. You're probably going to lose whatever shipping costs and insurance both ways. There's no good reason to take on additional risk, especially since you know the score.

onekerf, Dadpool and Salo like this.