• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

PayPal warning

Hi Guys,

I ordered and paid for a really expensive custom knife direct from a maker on Sunday. This maker is very well known and has been doing business for 15+ years. Well I put in the description of the Paypal transfer "Damascus" custom knife, Paypal immediately suspended the transaction and put my account on hold.

After 2 days of talking to them, they finally told me that if you put the word "Damascus" in the subject, it triggers some kind of audit by the government on your account. Things should be cleared up by tomorrow and funds sent, but wtf. Just a word of caution to everyone paying for something, don't put "Damascus" in the description if you use PayPal.

Hi Guys,

I ordered and paid for a really expensive custom knife direct from a maker on Sunday. This maker is very well known and has been doing business for 15+ years. Well I put in the description of the Paypal transfer "Damascus" custom knife, Paypal immediately suspended the transaction and put my account on hold.

After 2 days of talking to them, they finally told me that if you put the word "Damascus" in the subject, it triggers some kind of audit by the government on your account. Things should be cleared up by tomorrow and funds sent, but wtf. Just a word of caution to everyone paying for something, don't put "Damascus" in the description if you use PayPal.

Interesting, it must be a flagged keyword based on the city of Damascus in Syria and not the steel.

...wow. Too bad the gubment's ever-expanding list of "terroristic" keywords was never created to account for context, or synonyms.

Last edited:
I believe there was a thread on this before. Not too surprising consider what is happening in the Damascus area right now.

For me, I don't put anything that could be considered weapon or knife related. Mostly just make and model number.

Yeah, here is one I found: http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/s...he-word-quot-Damascus-quot?highlight=damascus

Thanks for the link bro.

I'm really bummed out, I had to call the maker and explain it all. I told him I would send him a MO or check overnighted to make it right. He said its cool, this was my first time getting to buy a knife from him & the last thing I wanted was to delay paying him. No more Damascus in the description :(.

Great logic Paypal! Anyone who's actually funding terrorists will make sure they use a Paypal verified account and write exactly where the money's going on the transaction!

Great logic Paypal! Anyone who's actually funding terrorists will make sure they use a Paypal verified account and write exactly where the money's going on the transaction!

This was exactly what I was thinking, lol. If you are trying to support terrorism and are smart enough to get a verified account, finish 100's of transactions with 100% rating but some how dumb enough to write in the description who you are donating to? lmao. I don't think terrorist spend time writing in the description, just stupid

This is not a paranoid dream. Using standard word search software, the system searches virtually all telecommunications for key words, say "fertilizer" with thirty words of "kerosene."

Messages caught by the word search filters are reviewed by analysts for further action.

All the major telephone carriers in the U.S. cooperated. National Security and all that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ECHELON

I wonder if 'Anthrax' (thrash metal band) fans have had this same problem...:rolleyes:

Thanks for the link Craytab, this is the first time I've seen this though. I guess you'll just have to stick put 'dam tool, model ---' in the description from now on.

I always use the the following: "Thank you for the really cool piece" or something similar. If I want some specifics I might use the model name...as long as it's not one of those flagged words. Let's hope someone doesn't create a "Jihad Bomb Explosion" model. :D

Shouldn't this thread be renamed to a more appropriate title? As such we have endless debates on PayPal, this will add to the toxic mix. :D

With all the keywords in this thread it wouldn't surprise me if the NSA has everyone of you flagged.

Oh crap now I'm not gonna be able to get on a plane... lol

But can we cancel out the thought crime by typing Taliban Takedown Knife?
If that doesn't create bonus points with the NSA I don't know what would.

And what about this new cupboard which I didnt buy in my house and suddenly the electricity bill is much higher.
Oh wait that was the joke about KGB bugs.
Ours of course are more advanced.
Btw I thought they don't spy on citizens as long as communication and payments (I assume) don't connect to foreign targets. Looking for keywords and affecting things of our lives such as delaying of payments seems kind of weird to me. What is also strange that PayPal would reveal what they do and go in such detail as to name specific key words. Even indirect hints of such nature are usually not given as in not to aid the real terrorists.
Not calling BS but very surprised if true.

Back