perfect gentleman's folder...for office setting

Hi,

Can you guys list some suggestions for a quality gentleman's folder, that is more appropriate for an office setting? I have a budget to $100.00. I prefer a blade length of right around 3".

Thanks
Michael in NJ

Spyderco Chaparral is always at the top of my list. Small, lightweight, super slicer, great steel, non-threatening and very capable. Plus it just looks the part.

30874013273_c0865fa5d8_h.jpg

Dragonfly2 for something smaller and cheaper.

29397116723_6439af8dd8_h.jpg

Also check out the Sage1 for something larger. Or maybe a Sanrenmu 7010 or CRKT Squid for something cheaper.

There's plenty of traditionals that fall into that price range, case, GEC, etc. Very people friendly. Also, no one will look twice at a good old Swiss army knife.

I always throw the Al Mar Hawk or Falcon into the ring.

There are several different configurations for each of these, some more office friendly than others.

Very light, unobtrusive in the pocket, and easy carry.

I struggled for a while to find a good office EDC that would fit my criteria (under 3in, nothing scary looking, pocket clip, decent steel).

I ended up with the Boker Exskelimoor II. Its 2.75in of 440c, with a linerlock, oak scales, and a pocket clip. Its one hand openable, but doesn't look threatening at all. Its also the Boker version of a pretty nice custom. I think I paid ~$50 for it just about 6-7 years ago.

Not my photo, but this is what I'm talking about.
Boker%20Plus%20Exskeli%20Moor%20II_1.JPG

Maybe others will disagree, but IMO the $100 price point is kind of a tough one. I would personally look at the Spyderco Delica 4 in all Stainless Steel, currently on Amazon for $77. 3 inch blade, check. Fit for office carry, check. Pretty good steel for the price point, probably about as good as you're going to find for around $100. If you just want an everyday mail opener type deal I would look at something like the Kershaw Leek @$50 is a solid choice. Another knife to consider checking in at $119 is the Benchmade mini-barrage 585 drop point. Now this doesn't have the G10 handle, or the super high end steel, but the 154Cm used on the 585 is definitely one of the better mid range steels. Take a look at a few of the different designs on the different site and some people suggest and let us know what pops out at you and maybe we can help steer you a little bit better.

For me it's the Spyderco Chaparral and an Opinel no 8. They're both excellent slicers. The Opinel is probably more office friendly (certainly here in Australia) with its classic, non-tactical design. Opinel also have amazing geometry.

The Chaparral has the benefit of a truly excellent steel (CTS-XHP) although my apple can't tell the difference :D

There's plenty of traditionals that fall into that price range, case, GEC, etc. Very people friendly. Also, no one will look twice at a good old Swiss army knife.

Agreed. No matter how classy a modern folder might look, if you have it clipped to your pocket, there'll always be a visible pocket clip. But nobody will bat an eye at a SAK or an old-looking pocket knife (even if it is new). Bone/wood/antler handles especially. To a non-knife person, a modern knife clipped to your pocket that you open with one hand (or worse, flick open) could be a weapon. But old style traditional knife or SAK that you open with both hands, and you're merely being prepared and handy or carrying your father's or grandfather's old heirloom.

I wear a suit for work. Everyday my cold steel Lucky One rides in the lower interior pocket of my jacket.
Awesome slip joint knife for work.

Spyderco Air is such an awesome little gentleman type folder for gentleman type people. It is small, no one will notice it in your pocket. It is so light that you won't notice it in your pocket either. Now it has no pocket clip so be careful or you won't notice it falling out either. You might be able to get a little sheath made for it. Or just stick it in a pocket it won't fall out of, like a button down one.

It's got an awesome M4 blade and believe it or not you can actually flip it open. It is small and discreet. No onenis scared of it like a swiss army knife. All around an ideal package.

Last edited:
Benchmade 531. A little above your hundred bucks but not by very much. Good steel (154 CM) and super light weight at 2 oz. IIRC, I paid about $100 for mine about one year ago. I recently saw one for $119.97 NIB, S&H included.

REI also offers a nicer version with S30v steel and green G10 scales but it is more money.

Last edited:
Have you considered a SAK? Get one with the tools you need and the handle you prefer. Like many here I have grown to prefer the alox handles over the original ones.

Back