Persian - broken tip.

nozh2002

BANNED
This is from Russian blade forum - knife.ru by dal1.

http://www.knife.ru/Forum/read.php?f=1&i=69709&t=69709
---------------------------------------------------------------
Игрался им, в руке вертел. Он выскользнул, ударился кончиком в пол (паркет) , чуть его поддел и упал. Кончик отломался.
Вот, что получилось:

http://www.comtv.ru/~av4805/pers_broken.jpg

Жалко
------------------------------------------------------------
When I play with my Persian, I accidentally drop it down on a hardwood flour. Tip down :( - result is here:

http://www.comtv.ru/~av4805/pers_broken.jpg

I am very sad :(
-------------------------------------------------------------
Sal can you help dal1? Is it under warranty? This is hard wood not an concrete.

Thanks, Vassili.

That really sucks... :( The tip of the Persian is pretty thin around that area.

nozh2002

BANNED
Let see what Spyderco answer.

I am relly surprized that Sal or somebody from Spyderco did not answer yet. Spyderco knives are (or were?) very respected on Russian forums and this delay make people there wondering what is going on? This post has a lot of attention, trust me.

Thanks, Vassili.

i've heard Sal is away and unavailable online for a while. however, i'd be impressed/surprised if Spyderco repairs or replaces the knife, as it was dropped. this isn't covered in their warranty, so i don't think they're under any obligation, at least not without a fee.

don't drop 'em! :)

abe m.

alyourblood is right I think, that it would be rare for Spyderco to replace anything like that.

nozh2002

BANNED
Well, let see. I like to hear this from him - that Spyderco knives can not be accidentaly droped on hardwood flour, because they are so brittle. I don't think so! Anyone may have opinion on what does mean quality knife, let see what Spyderco thinks.

Thanks, Vassili.

I have many quality knives, including Spydercos, that I'm sure would sustain damage if dropped on their tips as yours was. I would never consider holding a manufacturer liable for my carelessness, nor would I imply that a company is less than reputable for considering such an occurrance to be an abuse.

i'm with Raghorn. it seems a little naive to think you can drop a knife, have a portion of it break, and expect the manufacturer to step in and replace or repair it. but hey, you never know. best of luck to yer buddy!

abe m.

Ken Cox

Nozh2002 wrote:

"...Spyderco knives can not be accidentaly droped on hardwood flour, because they are so brittle..."

I would expect any quality knife to survive a fall onto a hardwood floor without breaking.
I also find it hard to believe that a Persian would break in this manner.
And, I certainly don't think of dropping a knife, from human being heights, as abuse.

It would make me sad to think someone used this knife improperly, in other words, abused it, and then tried to explain it away with something as innocent as dropping it on a hardwood floor.

I wonder if Spyderco could determine whether this knife has received proper heat treatment.
If it has, I don't see how dropping it could ever break it.

I look forward to seeing this story unfold.

nozh2002

BANNED
Hmmm...

Just a little correction - correct quote will be
"...Spyderco knives can not be accidentaly droped on hardwood flour, because they are so brittle. I don't think so!..."

Thansk, Vassili.

nozh2002

BANNED
And if you check original post dal1 did not ask for replacement or anything else - he just report it on the Russian forum and I decide to post it here thinking that Spyderco may help him etc.

Sal ignoring this - he made some posts today? I checked.
Other sad - it is OK for tip to be broken in this case or that dal1 is actually laying.

Fine. Well I am not intrested in this thread any more. You may follow link to Russian forum I provided, if you like to continue.

Thanks, Vassili.

Ken Cox said:
I would expect any quality knife to survive a fall onto a hardwood floor without breaking.

really? i'd expect quite the opposite. i might think a relatively thick-bladed knife, like a Strider or Extrema Ratio (or what have you) may come thru unscathed, but Spyderco makes many thin-bladed knives. i'd think my Endura's tip would snap clean off if it dinged off the ground, and i wouldn't be at all offended. they're stout knives to be sure, but not invincible.

and i agree, an accidental drop is not abuse. however, it's not under warranty either.

abe m.

Sal Glesser

I would guess that if someone has a problem with a Spyderco knife, they should contact Warrantee & Repair and see what Spyderco can do about it.

Has this been done?

sal

nozh2002 - Why are you so much more disturbed by this than the owner of the knife (dal1) is :confused: . He posted to the Spyderco Forum then you jumped in and and accused Sal there and here of ignoring the post. It's not even your knife - why so excited? I never seen Sal ignore something nor avoid any difficult questions. You can see by his response above that he gets to them - even if it's on Sunday morning.

David

Sal Glesser

Thanx 4 s ter.

I guess it's a bit deeper. This is a forum to share information about knives. I can provide information, which I'm willing to share, about knives in general and Spyderco knives in particular.

I do not feel that it is my responsibility on this forum to respond to everyone that broke their knife. That's why we have a Warrantee & repair department.

Our knives are not brittle. Knives with very fine tips are hard to build. You can take out a splinter with a Persian tip.

Your friend "crashed" his knife. Yes, it was probably an accident. He should contact his dealer, distributor or Spyderco Warrantee & Repair if he wants to get it repaired, assuming it can be reground. That is assuming he is interested in doing so.

With all due respect, to question me for not responding to a question about someone "crashing" their knife is not fair to me.

I would rather spend my somewhat valuable time sharing what I know about design, materials, philosophies, history and answering questions about same.

Your kind understanding and patience is appreciated.

sal

Mitchell Knives

Knifemaker
Dropping a knife is not abuse; it's an accident. However, this does not mean that the manufacturer is under any obligation to replace the damaged knife. Accidents happen. Thin knives that are designed to be superior cutters generally do not have the strongest of points. You could easily buy a knife that could probably withstand being dropped point first on concrete, but it most likely would not out cut the Persian.