Persian - broken tip.

a few years ago i got my father a calypso jr ss and he dropped it and the tip broke..i agree w. dave h about the issue..that does suck bad that it broke..it's happened to me sharpening them too hard on the stones..

Here dal1 explanation:
----------------------------------------------------------------------
When I played with my Persian, I accidentally dropped it down on a
hardwood flour. Tip down. Please note I didn't through it, it just slid out
from my hand and fell going into the hardwood with the tip. The height
was: from my stomach till the flour, not very high.

The result is here:

http://www.comtv.ru/~av4805/pers_broken.jpg
----------------------------------------------------------------------
2 4 s ter
Well, I should not expect tip to be broken when it slides down from my hands on hardwood flour, but if it is unexpectedly broken in such case it is an accident and it is not under warranty. Is this correct?

Thanks, Vassili.

Ok let me tale a stab at this. The following statement is true regardless of knife or manufactuere of knife:

If a knife falls your should expect it to be damaged.

The next statement it also true but not connected in any way to the previous statement:

Warranty does not cover intentionaly or accidently broken tips.

Since the knife was damaged by an accident, it's not covered.

Nozh

Accidental damage is not covered by warranty. This has been repeated numerous times. It can't be much clearer.

Sal offered to look at the knife to see if any fault in the knife might have contributed to the damage.

quote I will have to see the knife, rockwell the blade, look at the tip under a glass. Then I can offer my opinion. I cannot evaluate the steel or heat treat with second hand information. If the mfg quality is at fault, we will cover it. It is our policy. If the quality is up to our standards, we will still try to take care of the customer, it is our philosophy.

Sal

dal1 (or DeMoN on the Spyderco.com Forum) posted once on the Spyderco.com Forum reporting the breakage. Since then he has not posted on either that forum or this one in response to Sal's offer. You say the offer to look at the knife "is meaningless for dal1" How about leaving this all up to dal1/DeMoN to follow up on and decide what he is willing or not willing to do in response to Sal's and Spyderco's response.

David

2 4 s ter

Following Sal offer dal1 already contacted Warranty and let me quote myself:

"dal1 just got replay from Spyderco Warranty" (you actually quote this already)

In his mail to warranty he refered to this discussion and Sal. After he had replay saying - accident is not covered and he have to send knife to Colorada is on his own expense, he post this on Russian forum (I already put link before). As you see dal1 (he is not DeMoN BTW) already respond to Sal's offer, got Spyderco's answer and make his mind. And I posted it here to clearify my understanding - this is good example as warranty works. It was not clear for me before and, thanks for you, I have it clear now.

Why should I leave it to dal1? I had my own question, I am not representing him here, I like to know that it is not covered by warranty, so I'll be more carefull with my Manix, which I like a lot, as well as Delica and Native and Dragonfly... You may check my posts before - I was wrong, I had different understanding - now I learn a lot.

Thanks, Vassili.

Nozh

Sorry, reviewing the posts I see that dal1 is not DeMoN. It seems that dal1 has actually not posted anywhere except on a Russian Forum.

While being careful with your Manix, Delica, Native and Dragonfly you might as well be equally careful with any production knives by other manufacturers. Spyderco's knives are as strong or stronger than any other production knife with similar steel and geometry, and Spyderco has a warranty that is as good or better than most production manufacturers.

At least you don't share dal1's problem with shipping a knife back to Colorado from Russia. Shipping costs and turnaround time would be much less should you have to return a knife to Golden from California.

David

Back