Persian - broken tip.

I own more than a few knives, and I cannot think of a one that would not survive a drop from even head-height onto a hardwood floor.

nozh2002 wrote:

"Just a little correction - correct quote will be
'...Spyderco knives can not be accidentaly droped on hardwood flour, because they are so brittle. I don't think so!...'"

Sorry.
I didn't mean to change nozh2002's meaning. :)

Additionally, I didn't mean to question anyone's honesty; rather, I meant to express my puzzlement.

As I have mentioned in past years, has everyone noticed how nozh2002's avatar opens its eyes?
Very nice.

interesting. I will be even more interested to know waht Spyderco's warranties & repair guys say, after they look at the knife. Of course, this may not be possible, as the impression that I have is that this all occurred in Russia.

I just want to say that I have a couple of Persians. One of them was, (as Sal said, used to dig out splinters. I might also add that this was AFTER it was used to punch through 0.84 mm aluminium sheeting and slice it (yes, I am sure of the dimensions because I just remeasured it). I do not see the Persian as anything like delicate. Of course, anything could happen-dropped at a weird angle or something. It could even be a defect-I am sure that not every knife that comes out of Spyderco or anywhere else is perfect.

If it doesn't get back to the factory, I guess we won't know.

I have made knives for some military personel. I repaired a spear piont 7inch blade .150 3/4 of an inch thick measuring back from the tip. This knife was thrown(wrong) and imbedded in a pine plank and was removed perpendicular to the plane of the blade rather than up and down in line with the blade. I/4 inch broke of the end of this 1080 handforged, triple edgequenched, Soft back drawn, double tempered blade. I pulled out all the tricks for toughness, but this knife was abused and broke. In the case of the Persian breaking the tip in a hardwood floor, it was an accident. But it could have taken the shock of dropping on concrete, it probably would have dulled or flatten the tip. Hardwood is penetrated by the tip, and if the knife is not straight the weight of the knife can fall sideways with the tip trapped, it will break. Please for your own safety inspect the floor where the knife was dropped and find the tip embedded in the floor, it could be very dangerous if someone steps on the chard. If the tip penetrated with the grain it is probably still embedded in the floor. It it penetrated cross grain the vibration of the snap might have dislodged the tip, for safteys sake please find the chard. I'm sorry at your misfortune. It can be reground. Mikey and Del in the factory are very good at this type of repair, send it back to the factory and I'm sure that you will be pleased at the results...Take Care...Find that chard...Ed Schempp

dima_911 from www.knife.ru has Persian and he was not afraid to did same experiment with his knife. He found hardwood flour stub Persian tip (about 8mm) into hardwood flour (oak) and bend it side down. He broke wood and tip was OK. So dal1 has just bad Persian I assume.

However I don't appretiate all this talk about valuable time etc. Like somebody here is kind of king or local communist party boss and we like peasants or just regular comrades, who shoud beg for attention and be greatfull if this attention was granted. I will not bother anybody here any more with my little man bussines.

Thanks, Vassili.

I will not bother anybody here any more with my little man bussines.

I don't really see how it IS your business when a third party breaks a knife and doesnt bother to deal with the manufacturer.

I am sure they have thing in Russia called "proper channels" perhaps you should try going through them and then decide if your friend has been treated fairly.

Nohz

You really have no idea if another dal1 has a "bad Persian" or if dima_911 accurately recreated the incident - you just won't give up on bad mouthing Spyderco or Sal. I'm sure that Ed Schempp's comments, as a master knifemaker and designer of the Persian, are accurate. It's almost Christmas, smile, enjoy life and move on.

David

Hi Vassili.

We have spoken many times on the forum, and I appreciate your input. I don't consider myself to be above anyone on this forum, and I apologize if I hurt your feelings.

I would prefer to have Warrantee & repair issues handled through warrantee & repair rather than convert this forum to warrantee & repair. Or at least not expect that it is my responsibility to respond to every complaint.

Your participation is valued, and I would hope you reconsider your participation.

I also do not feel that if one has a problem that they should quickly assume the problem is in the knife.

sal

Thanks for your respond Sal. I appretiate it. Everybody have good days and bad days. I did not mean to ask you directly to repair this broken tip. Some suggested that this it is OK if tip brakes in this situation and your expertize needed just to clearify that knives do not suppose to do this, especially your knives do not suppose to do this. On my opinion they don't, as well as on yours and this is good. And this is important to note.

And I am not personally after Spyderco or something - as soon as "dima 911" clearify this with his experiment - I posted it here, I think it is right things to do. Thanks to "dima 991" (I have his Persian review on my site)

http://playground.sun.com/~nozh2002/Spyderco-Persian.html

Usually, people don't like your knives, but love them - all revies are very emotional. Check just this one.

OK, I am glad that it was resolved finally this way.

Thanks, Vassili.

I have several knives. I've never dropped one and had anything break. If I did break a knife in some way I would not post it on the forums. I'd get in contact with the company that made the knife before I did anything else. I think Sal has been very patient and gracious about this matter. Much more so than I would be.

I just have to say that I think its incredible that Sal can find the time to even frequent these forums. Spyderco makes kick Ass Knives for the workin Joe and hey sh!t happens. knives break and it sucks. I sent my millie back because I was in an attic and was too lazy to climb down to get a screwdriver. Busted a nice piece off the tip. Anyway sent it in and for a menial charge game back good as new (a little shorter). Spyder cust service kicks ass.

I sure got a lot out of Ed Schempp's post.
Thanks.

I have encountered Vassili on other forums and I have always found the experience pleasant and informative.

I think things went a little sideways here because of the language problems.
I appreciate the time and energy it takes for Vassili to participate here in his second (or third) language.

As I said before: cool avatar.

Thanks Ken,
I appreciate your positive point of view. Being positive and respectful is always more productive. At the worst you make new friends. It is expected that we are sensitive about the fine tools to which we bond. I can assure all that buy Spyderco's that NO ONE works harder to assure knife quality than Sal Glesser. That leadership inspires his family and crew to give us the best product they can. I just got back from my second engineering trip and got to witness this quality control in action. I'm honored to have the Persian made by Spyderco...Take Care...Ed

A few years ago I dropped my Spyderco serrated "police" model knife on cement and broke the tip. It had an extremely fine point. I got in touch with warranties and repairs and sent the knife back to them. They reground the tip and it now has a slightly studier tip than when new. The only charge was shipping and handling. As you can guess, I was very happy with their service and am a fan of their products. I now have numerous Spyderco knives including the Persion and ATR. What they did was more than I had expected considering I had dropped it. MyThanks to a great company.

Hi Book'em. Welcome to the Spyderco forum and thanx for the kind words.

Thanx Ed.

sal

dal1 just got replay from Spyderco Warranty - they sad they do not cover such accidents. For me this mean that it is expected from Spyderco Persian tip to break if it accidentally droped on the hardwood flour from your hands. Correct me if I am wrong.

Also they may repair this for free if they will find after investigation that this is some sort of steel failure but all transport expenses anyway will be on dal1 (from Russia to US) - so this offer is meaningless for dal1.

Thanks, Vassili.

Vassili: Perhaps your friend can fix his Persian's tip by himself, instead of sending in to Spyderco all the way from Russia.

I've reworked the tips on some of my knives, not because the tips were broken but because I wanted to change their shape into something more to my liking. I'll also change the grind on some of my knives, typically going from a saber/hollow grind to a smoother contour sort-of approaching a flat grind. I do the work by hand, not machine, and on various steels: ATS-34 (Buck Odyssey - the tip & the grind), 440V (Native, Starmate - the grind), and some others as well.

As to your friend's Persian, from the look of it I'd say that he should be able to regrind that tip by himself without too much trouble. If it were my knife I would grind down the spine of the tip so that the tip meets the edge, forming either a clip-point or a drop-point, depending on preference. For this hand grinding I would use one of my cheap Aluminum Oxide sharpening stones, and not a good waterstone or ceramic rod, as this type of work will gouge grooves into the stone. Or, for the small amount of grinding needed for this repair, you could easily use some other abrasive surface such as concrete.
Just rub the spine of the tip against whatever abrasive material you have available and the tip can be reformed into a usefull shape.

So tell your friend that he can fairly easily fix his Persian's tip and the knife made quite servicable.
Good luck.

This thread makes my head spin in wonder.

Any sharp pointy knife will have a fragile tip, fragile tips break easily.

I don't understand why anyone would think otherwise.

nozh2002 said:
dal1 just got replay from Spyderco Warranty - they sad they do not cover such accidents. For me this mean that it is expected from Spyderco Persian tip to break if it accidentally droped on the hardwood flour from your hands. Correct me if I am wrong.[UNQUOTE]

OK Vassili- you're wrong! It does not mean that you can expect the tip to break, but if it should happen it is an accident!!! and Spyderco's warranty does not cover accidents. That's all it means! It's completely faulty logic to keep interpreting the exclusion of accidents from Spyderco's warranty policy as proof that broken tips are to be expected.

How many times are you going to drag us back around this bumpy road :confused:

Back