• Spring cleaning sale: I've reduced prices on the BladeForums.com Logo Tshirts and PVC patches to move these out of here! We're down to sizes Large & XL on the shirts, but have plenty of every colorway left on the patches. Get them before they are gone! https://www.bladeforums.com/help/bfcmerch/
  • The search engine is not working correctly. We are aware of the problem and are working on a solution. Thank you for your patience.
  • I've implemented new password tools to try and cut down on the number of people getting their profiles compromised by reusing the same passwords that they have used elsewhere. If you are using a password that has been exposed in a data breach and is listed on haveibeenpwned.com you will get a notification to change it the next time you log in. When you choose a new password it will show you the strength; you will need a "Medium" strength or higher password for here, 8 characters or more in length.

Thanks for your support!

Photos! Post your CPK photos here!

Benson X

Gold Member
I was cleaning/organizing the shop this weekend and came across a serendipitous surprise!

:thumbsup:Your Sapphire Shadetree are looking nice. I finished out a set of Electric Plum and Evergreen. The Shadetree were one of my favorite scale materials when I use to hang out at the Fiddleback forum.

2mARGog.jpg

jX2ZWg2.jpg
HOT DAMN - those look amazing!!!

Any tips/trick to get to a nice even polish like yours? I dig that Evergeen Burlap bead to match! :D

I may have a soft-spot for some Fiddleback Burlap in the Oreo variety as well, hahaha! These are the 3 in my collection...
AM-JKLU0aEtESr1eLlcHtj5MdvgwdcHmJ3g9-P4lsx8XoYG0bwFdCRb8dPTK7YC-K1TUYacXK-YliDhS9LKMfyqSBs4-Xf3foNiRvfL_zVtRZU4MaLcAmeLO7nl2aYC_81meBi6hWniJeYxS2lfwk69e1nudMA=w1636-h937-no

Fiddleback_Forge_-_Bushcrafter_-_Oreo_Burlap_-_4_2048x.jpg

AM-JKLUo11Z1f_A45Kp8n79WlNULflTfBF14LpyGh_A9-xtYSt_xZc-a86bgXSSjoWkdwvfM6T3H0mG72ZM8ASdJrZhXVyAgx_exRU_LELF0UZaBjovW4Ih5JHhe5MtLPp1u5MvoSG9lK1P8CvcNBmHt13iJ6A=w1174-h937-no

jus_gus

Gold Member

Any tips/trick to get to a nice even polish like yours? I dig that Evergeen Burlap bead to match! :D

I may have a soft-spot for some Fiddleback Burlap in the Oreo variety as well, hahaha! These are the 3 in my collection...
AM-JKLU0aEtESr1eLlcHtj5MdvgwdcHmJ3g9-P4lsx8XoYG0bwFdCRb8dPTK7YC-K1TUYacXK-YliDhS9LKMfyqSBs4-Xf3foNiRvfL_zVtRZU4MaLcAmeLO7nl2aYC_81meBi6hWniJeYxS2lfwk69e1nudMA=w1636-h937-no

AM-JKLUo11Z1f_A45Kp8n79WlNULflTfBF14LpyGh_A9-xtYSt_xZc-a86bgXSSjoWkdwvfM6T3H0mG72ZM8ASdJrZhXVyAgx_exRU_LELF0UZaBjovW4Ih5JHhe5MtLPp1u5MvoSG9lK1P8CvcNBmHt13iJ6A=w1174-h937-no
:thumbsup:Nice Oreo Shadetree. I think I took them up to 800 or 1000 grit, I don’t remember. I wiped them down with mineral oil, and used some Ren wax at the end to get a little more color. I got the Evergreen beads from Keith at Combatbeads, but he told me he didn’t like working with the Shadetree either, so I don’t think he’ll be making any more. Looking forward to seeing your Sapphire Shadetree on your EDC.:thumbsup::)

Comprehensivist

Platinum Member

Nice group of burlap Fiddlebacks. I had a couple of black bolstered Oreo handled ones myself before I sold off all but one of my Shadetree handled knives. I had too much trouble with shrink in the handle thickness that caused the bullseye and/or pins to stand proud of the burlap. That and pock mark holes from trapped air in the resin. Very annoying.

The tip I have to make your burlap look shiny and new (like the Bushcrafter in the 2nd photo) is wiping it down with Howard's Feed-N-Wax wood preserver. That is what Andy Roy at Fiddleback uses as a final step to give the handle that waxed luster. It works on wood, burlap, micarta, etc. if that is the look you want.

Phil

Last edited:

Benson X

Gold Member
:thumbsup:Nice Oreo Shadetree. I think I took them up to 800 or 1000 grit, I don’t remember. I wiped them down with mineral oil, and used some Ren wax at the end to get a little more color. I got the Evergreen beads from Keith at Combatbeads, but he told me he didn’t like working with the Shadetree either, so I don’t think he’ll be making any more. Looking forward to seeing your Sapphire Shadetree on your EDC.:thumbsup::)

Nice group of burlap Fiddlebacks. I had a couple of black bolstered Oreo handled ones myself before I sold off all but one of my Shadetree handled knives. I had too much trouble with shrink in the handle thickness that caused the bullseye and/or pins to stand proud of the burlap. That and pock mark holes from trapped air in the resin. Very annoying.

The tip I have to make your burlap look shiny and new (like the Bushcrafter in the 2nd photo) is wiping it down with Howard's Feed-N-Wax wood preserver. That is what Andy Roy at Fiddleback uses as a final step to give the handle that waxed luster. It works on wood, burlap, micarta, etc. if that is the look you want.

Phil
Excellent tips and feedback - thank you both! I'll spend some more time buffing them out - there are quite a few small holes/imperfections where the resin is lower than the fibers but that's just the nature of this material (and I don't want to take them down too far) and lose some of the contours. I'll be sure to post some finished pics once I'm happy with the finish and get them on an EDC! 🍻

Murphjd25

Gold Member
You find any gold in dem der hills?
Not today. I really need to invest in a suction dredge..
My buddy just got a Blue Bowl for Christmas and we're itching to test it out. I've never been successful panning, but just like fishing, it's more about the experience. I just like rockhounding and hanging outdoors.
Same here man, me and the boy just enjoy being outdoors!

ferider

Platinum Member