Pictures of fake Large Regular Sebenza.

Dang that knock off look pretty good. Coulda fooled me.
I have a friend who went blind at the age of 30. He was a machinist by trade. He is into knives and and he can tell a lot about a knife just by feel. It would be cool to see him handle both of those. His favority knife to fondle is the Sage 1.

The pics should all be up now, there are 15 in total......sorry I went for a quick cup of tea in the middle there.

I'll post a picture of the box later on, it's nothing like the original CRK box and it came with no literature........ I've seen many CRKs sold with no box or papers though.

I can see them thanks

no papers should be an alert or a warranty for everyone I think
..Ok many are sold without as they may be used, old or you may have thrown the box away but at this point if there are papers it's better

scary, really really scary, fakes of a 21 and regular, good fakes....

really many many thanks, I learned a lot :thumbup: and I've seen I have a lot more to learn!
Maxx

Wow, Haze.
Thank you for the detailed comparison.
No wonder CRK is concerned about knock-offs, it appears they are being seriously "screw"tinized by some very crafty crooks and counterfeiters.
pete

..Ok many are sold without as they may be used, old or you may have thrown the box away but at this point if there are papers it's better

I can't spend several hundred dollars for a knife without some sort of provenance to show where it came from.
Both for me, and to pass along whenever it gets handed down...

5245201461_d159ae3e50_z.jpg

pete

That's going to be a problem on the secondary market because as it stands now some people don't give an accurate description of what they're selling, can you imagine all these fakes.

this is why id never buy a CRK from anyone other than people on this forum or a recognized dealer....end of story.

Holy, that is too close...

If im not mistaken it looks like the fake is missing the heattreat on the lockbar face.

Thank you so much for the masterclass! Being very new to the hobby (lifestyle?) I've been looking at Sebenza's for a few months trying to inform myself and figure out which to start with. I'm not very confident that I'd be able to tell these two apart, even while handling them. I think the advice given previously to stick with recognized forum members and reputable dealers is more than sound. Thanks again for taking the time to post this. It truly is appreciated!

They are getting better and better. The 21 looked like crap but this is 10 times better then that one. Have also seen that they are doing a wood inlay one now.

They are getting better and better. The 21 looked like crap but this is 10 times better then that one. Have also seen that they are doing a wood inlay one now.

What?

As for the lock: it can be heat treated, but bead blasted over, that's why I say use the suckker and see how she wears, where the lock face wears and how the lock engages, those are key aspects of a real seb that is focused on in the production process.

When selling on the exchange request pictures of the date stamp on the inside scales. The fakes do not have them as well as the CRK logo, those are the first give aways when there are no papers.

Wow that is kinda of scary to be honest. It may not be good to test the knife and release the results, do you really want to perhaps promote a counterfeit product (even bashing it, can lead to sales this is the internet after all).

This is the box it came in along with the lanyard pin. As you can see the box is not even close and isn't even trying to fool any one I don't think. The difference in the finish of the lanyard pin is again the telling thing. You can see the out side edges on the CRK pin are much better finished and chamfered. It is also made of a different alloy as the colour is different. Not sure of the weight difference as my scales are out of action just now.

People are asking if the knife is more obviously fake in hand, well, it is and it isn't. It's funny, while the shape and proportions of the handle are the same one of the most noticable things to me is it makes a different sound when handled. It seems odd I know but I'm not joking. The most obvious thing anyone can pick out though is machining marks, CRK folders do not have machining marks. This is one of the main things people should be looking out for at this time, along with less than great finishing.

attachment.php

The CRK pin is on the left.
attachment.php

The CRK pin is on the left.
attachment.php

The CRK pin is the bottom right.
attachment.php

Attachments

• DSC08953.jpg
    DSC08953.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 564
  • DSC08956.jpg
    DSC08956.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 561
  • DSC08960.jpg
    DSC08960.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 560
  • DSC08962.jpg
    DSC08962.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 562
Thanks for posting. Obviously these imitators are getting better at what they do. I wonder how the fake knife performs? Does it have the same tight tolerance, F&F, and weight as the original Sebenza?

F&F is not as good as the Sebenza.
Tight tolerances are not going to be seen through normal use, at least I can't notice any difference. I predict the high tolerances will be shown with age and use, because of the tighter tolerances the wear can be planned and accounted for which is what I am seeing with Sebenzas.

Weight I am not sure, probably a bit heavier because of the thicket blade?

Here's the same knife, being tested (not in English) but you can see it seems to be OK as far as holding an edge. These were selling for about 75 dollars, from a Chinese website. Now they have more than doubled in price! (suddenly) There's been at least one complaint that I've heard about, where a buyer bought one from a private individual and found out later he was ripped off.

[video=youtube;61Whdgt1vHQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61Whdgt1vHQ[/video]

Even if it's a fake sebbie, I cringed whenever he wedged the blade sideways when he was digging into the branch, and also that he batoned it with the lockbar engaged. Ew.

This one even came with a fake pouch.
[video=youtube;dVzi8OkaUOA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVzi8OkaUOA[/video]

Last edited:
Back