1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ka-Bar Becker BK5 Magnum Camp , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday July 27!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Pistol for first time owner?

Discussion in 'Gadgets & Gear' started by SuzukiGS750EZ, Mar 27, 2017.

1. JJHollowman

JJHollowman

Jul 16, 2016
    Charter pitbull, there's a few others

2. RedFury

RedFury

Jun 17, 2015
    I did this with my daughter when she turned 21. It was eye-opening that she actually found something that she DID NOT like with six of the 7 she tried. So back to the beginning ...... It's a very personal choice and no way to figure it out except to actually try them out.

You (like most people) would laugh at my choice of carry gun but if I have my pants on, I have my gun on. If it's not on you it isn't going to do you any good when you need it. The real bottom line is "will you carry it?"

Polynikes01 likes this.
  3. glockman99

glockman99 Super Moderator Super Mod

Jun 12, 2000
    Normally, I'd suggest a Glock 21...But as a first pistol, the Glock 19 in 9mm is a great choice...Very little recoil, cheap ammo, and a simple "manual of arms" 15780721_653862111405429_2670737320512282192_n.jpg ...

4. Pilot1

Pilot1 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 24, 2005
    Are you going to carry it concealed? If so, weight. and size matter. If for range, and home defense, not so much, and for a first time pistol shooter, I'd recommend a full size or semi compact 9MM. I prefer the CZ-75 variants either all steel (75B, SP-01) , or with lightweight alloy frames like the PCR, or P-01. Nothing wrong with polymer either, the P-07, P-09, or the other offerings mentioned by S&W, Springfield, Sig, Beretta, Glock etc.

Polynikes01 likes this.
  5. Polynikes01

Polynikes01 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 31, 2016
    Get something that feels good in hand and learn to shoot it, then start thinking about carrying one... and I mean think about what it means to carry a lethal weapon for self defense and the consequences of pulling your blaster and using it.
    If you do carry, I always recommend CCWsafe they help you legally in the aftermath of a shooting.
    Freaks me out thinking about someone shooting under stress near one of my kids who can't shoot in normal conditions. Not saying that's going to be you, but they're out there...

6. Polynikes01

Polynikes01 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 31, 2016
    Well said, sir
    Same here, pants on gun on. All day, everyday.

Boxer .45 likes this.
  7. K.O.D.

K.O.D. Banned Platinum Member

Aug 21, 2013
    Steyr S9-A1
    H&K USP Compact 9mm
    FN FNS 9 compact
    Walther PPS 9

8. SuzukiGS750EZ

SuzukiGS750EZ

Dec 30, 2008
    I got a Walther CCP and an S&W M&P 9mm with Factory night sights. Carried the Walther until I got the S&W, the Walther is a nice shooting gun at the range, but the S&W is my favorite of the two. It carries so well i sometimes forget it's even there!

EricV and Boxer .45 like this.