1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ka-Bar Becker BK5 Magnum Camp , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday July 27!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Pistol for first time owner?

Discussion in 'Gadgets & Gear' started by SuzukiGS750EZ, Mar 27, 2017.

1. billf

billf

Oct 9, 2003
    suzuki

I live in Southbury, and did not need an interview with town police - but that may vary by town. I did have my fingerprints done (electronic scan) at the police station though and that took all of 10 minutes. Be prepared to wait longer than you thing once all the paperwork is in....it's my impression that the State is NOT exactly prioritizing permits, if you know what I mean...

Bill

2. SuzukiGS750EZ

SuzukiGS750EZ

Dec 30, 2008
    Great. I'm on the shoreline, thankfully not Madison but close. I'm hoping the process is smooth and quick but positivity doesn't always prevail.

3. SuzukiGS750EZ

SuzukiGS750EZ

Dec 30, 2008
    Got brought into a room. They copied my license, took all 10 fingerprints and went over paperwork. That was all

4. mikeinct

mikeinct

Jan 27, 2007
    My interview was a pistol live fire test in the basement of the old town hall..I was 18 back in the 70's Still took nearly an act of congress to get approval back then...20 years ago, my wife went thru a lot dealing w Newington PD..They never rush this stuff..But CT is a shall issue, not may issue state..Be patient but persistent..Don;t believe the old we lost your fingerprints dodge...Good Luck , Mike in Ct

5. jaseman

jaseman

Jul 28, 2016
    Wow, glad I live in PA.

- fill out one form
    - walk into courthouse
    - turn in paperwork
    - wait 5-10 min. For background check
    - pay $25
    - walk out with carry lisence
    - in 5 years, pay $25 and apply for renewal

6. Boston_Strong

Boston_Strong

Jul 7, 2016
    All of y'all should come to AZ. The only hoop you jump through is celebrating your 21st b-day, after which you can carry pretty much anything you want, almost anywhere you want. No paperwork, no fees, no serializing, no registration, nothing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

7. Sosa

Sosa

Feb 6, 2014
    Too bad AZ is landlocked. I need access to the ocean for my wellbeing.

8. mikeinct

mikeinct

Jan 27, 2007
    Wow, glad I live in PA.

- fill out one form
    - walk into courthouse
    - turn in paperwork
    - wait 5-10 min. For background check
    - pay $25
    - walk out with carry lisence
    - in 5 years, pay $25 and apply for renewal .........................................................................................................................................................................................Ah Yep, & that is why this guy is moving there..Better weather & gun laws..Mike in Ct. who hunts in Pa & NH

9. Charlie_K

Charlie_K

Jul 16, 2012
    Glad I live in KS
    -Turn 21
    -Don't get busted for a felony
    -Buy a gun
    -Buy a holster
    -Carry

10. jaseman

jaseman

Jul 28, 2016
    As much as I would love constitutional carry here, I'll gladly take PA over CA, NY, MD, or NJ any day! :thumbup:

11. Charlie_K

Charlie_K

Jul 16, 2012
    That's like saying you'd prefer to take something that exists over something that doesn't.

12. SuzukiGS750EZ

SuzukiGS750EZ

Dec 30, 2008
    I grew up in newington. Small world

13. fatboyclone

fatboyclone Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 15, 2003
    If it's not too late, take a look at the HK VP9...it's a few bucks more than a Glock 17/19 or S&W M&P but IMHO has the best trigger on the market right now and it's an HK so it'll be reliable. CDNN has them for around $600 pretty regularly. Magazines and holsters are also widely available.

For me, this immediately became my favorite pistol after an afternoon at the range.

14. EricV

EricV Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 19, 2008
    Seems like a lot of towns are running at about an 11-14 week wait, it definitely helps to call the PD and find out your status. If things take way too long or you are in a rush you can file an appeal with the state to get your paperwork pushed through after 8 weeks. Look into CCDL if you haven't already.

15. SuzukiGS750EZ

SuzukiGS750EZ

Dec 30, 2008
    I was unaware but am on the site now. Thank you

16. JJHollowman

JJHollowman

Jul 16, 2016
    Even if you are "in a rush", don't tell the cops that. They'll slow down on it just to make sure you aren't gonna kill somebody. A little "good faith" money thrown around town doesn't hurt, especially smaller ones. Sponsor a youth team, pound in some political signs, donate to the local PBA, that sort of thing. Let them see you as an upstanding guy, not just some local they don't know showing up and demanding a gun permit. If you have a Guns Save Lives chapter, show up to that- or find the closest thing, and show up to that. Not only is it a good place to get information, it's a good way to get out of the house one night a month and usually involves meeting at someplace to eat. Dress normally, don't go in there in a Confederate Flag T shirt or (God Forbid) a pot leaf shirt- and yes- this has been done. Exhibit reasonable competency and good humor, but DON'T play "know it all". Good Luck.

Oh. the gun. A revolver is fine, get it in at least .40. In fact, whatever you pick, get it in at least .40. Just my opinion. If you do pick a revolver, train with speedloaders, or better yet, carry two guns.

17. jaredrg

jaredrg

May 20, 2015
    I don't know if you've bought a belt and holster yet but if you haven't you may want to check out crossbreedseconds.com. It's Crossbreed's stuff but with minor cosmetic flaws for much cheaper. A seconds belt is the only Crossbreed item I own, so not a fan boy.

18. Charlie_K

Charlie_K

Jul 16, 2012
    I'm unaware of any revolvers chambered for the .40 S&W.

19. SuzukiGS750EZ

SuzukiGS750EZ

Dec 30, 2008
    I will, thanks for the heads up!

20. rbmcmjr

rbmcmjr

Apr 10, 2005
    Although it can be fired in a 610 (10mm), there was only one model made specifically for the .40 S&W: The rare, elusive, and discontinued Model 646

[​IMG]

...and it's Performance Center sibling:

[​IMG]