1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer Sheepdog & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday August 10!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Pistol for first time owner?

Discussion in 'Gadgets & Gear' started by SuzukiGS750EZ, Mar 27, 2017.

1. Reswob

Reswob

Aug 27, 2006
  2. jaseman

jaseman

Jul 28, 2016
    Do you plan to carry IWB or OWB?

IWB - Inside Waist Band
    OWB - Outside Waist Band

Both have their pros and cons, and each will require a different style of holster.

OWB is arguably more comfortable, and is quicker/easier to draw from, as it's not tucked inside your belt and pants, but it requires either wearing your shirt untucked, or having another cover garment (like a sweatshirt, jacket, or other).

IWB is easier to conceal, and will print less (generally speaking), and with all the 'tukable' options in holsters these days, you can actually tuck your shirt in around the holster, and see nothing but the belt clips. But, it may not be quite as comfortable, since the gun/holster is against your body, and inside the belt line. It also require a bit more though to draw from, since there is another layer of clothing to work around.

Neither is right or wrong, or better. It's all just personal preference, and what works best for you.

3. Charlie_K

Charlie_K

Jul 16, 2012
    What's your setup as far as clothing goes? Weather affects clothing, and clothing affects concealment. My setup is suited for cargo pants pocket carry, but that might not work for everyone.

4. SuzukiGS750EZ

SuzukiGS750EZ

Dec 30, 2008
    I normally wear cargo pants/shorts, leather belt and loose t shirts and or a hoodie

5. SuzukiGS750EZ

SuzukiGS750EZ

Dec 30, 2008
    And I'm not sure, owb or iwb. I'm thinking out, but how high do they ride? Iwb would be nice but it sound uncomfortable

6. jaseman

jaseman

Jul 28, 2016
    I wear IWB 90% of the time. With the right holster, it's not uncomfortable at all, but may take some getting used too - but carrying in general will at first. How high it rides depends on the holster - some ride high, some lower, and some are adjustable.

I prefer a hybrid-type holster. Leather (sometimes lined with a felt) against the body, and Kydex formed to the gun riding against the waistband. If you look in the Gun picture thread, you see one of my posts showing my FNS in one.

One of the most popular hybrids is Crossbreed, which wraps around your waist a little, using two belt clips, and spreads the weight across a wider section of your belt. But there are many people making very a similar holster. Expect to pay about $100 for Crossbreed, and have about an 8 week lead time. I've bought nicer (or at least comparable) one's for half that, with a much shorter lead time. Look up Alien Gear for a well made alternative, or FirearmHolser (just add a .com) for a guy who does nice custom work (Gavin is a great guy to work with BTW)

You can also look into a single-clip style, which may be a bit easier to take on and off, but adds a little more bulge. The one in my pic is a LittleFoxx by Foxx holsters. I've got two of them, for different guns, and were one almost every day.

I'd post links, but want to make sure it's OK with the Mods first....

7. SuzukiGS750EZ

SuzukiGS750EZ

Dec 30, 2008
    I do have experience with alien gear, bought one for a buddy of mine. I did have a look

8. mikeinct

mikeinct

Jan 27, 2007
    SuzukiGS750EZ..Lots of good thoughts here..You know about the ten shot restrictions here in CT..So I'd get something [like I have] I have my wife carry..3" barrel 5 shot S&W 38 special..Hers has the round butt black rubber target grip, enhanced sights, upgrade trigger & hammer..looks just fine, & is a shooter..I think they called it the Chiefs kit gun model..Please forget that cross draw method for concealed carry..Get the right size pants, good belt & holster..IWB..To protect your skin & the gun you always have to wear a tee-shirt..you will be wearing a vest or light jacket or other shirt to cover..The idea being,turn strong side away, sweep & draw from concealed..You have a lot of decisions to make..Two most important things..You must have this thing secure on your person safety first..It must be deploy-able in an instant when needed..Good luck be safe...uncle Mike in Ct...40 years of EDC...

9. jaseman

jaseman

Jul 28, 2016
    Alien Gear builds a decent rig, especially for the price point. I don't have one personally, but have a few friends who use them. Nice thing about them is that they are modular to some degree - buy a new pistol, just replace the Kydex (as long as it's a similar size pistol). The leather isn't as nice, or finished as well, as some of the higher priced rigs, but at ~$35 for the original model, it's tough to beat. I have no problem recommending them to someone, especially for a first IWB holster.

You'll find, once you start actually carrying, you will most likely end up with a drawer full of holsters over time. You'll order one, wear it for a while, then find out it doesn't work for you. You'll have one for a specific style of dress. Or one for certain activities. I've probably gone through ten different holsters for just 1911's over the years, only three of which I still use!

10. SuzukiGS750EZ

SuzukiGS750EZ

Dec 30, 2008
    If all works out and I like the gun, I've got my eye on a desert tan s&w m&p m2.0 in 9mm.

11. cchu518

cchu518 Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 6, 2013
    If you are ever interested in a non polymer, check out a Cz75b their hard not to fall in love with if it fits your hand well.

A shop called Cajun Gun Works sells an awesome trigger kit for it.

12. NCHunter78

NCHunter78 Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 14, 2016
    Yes, for their size, I agree completely. I usually carry the 43 or the 238. Both are nice shooters. Have not had a chance to play with a 938 yet.

Another one that I really could shoot well was the Glock 26 but it was just too big for me to pocket carry and if I am going to carry on my hip, I'd rather just have my 19.

13. NCHunter78

NCHunter78 Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 14, 2016
    the reviews and articles I have read about that one have me interested..might check that one out one day

14. SuzukiGS750EZ

SuzukiGS750EZ

Dec 30, 2008
    Going to the permit class tomorrow!

15. Steven65

Steven65 Traditional Hog Platinum Member

Mar 11, 2008
    That would be a great choice!

Check out a Crossbreed Supertuck in Horsehide. They look weird but they are super comfortable.:)

16. SuzukiGS750EZ

SuzukiGS750EZ

Dec 30, 2008
    I Will! I have everything together for tomorrow, just fingerprints and background check and then the waiting game begins...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

17. cchu518

cchu518 Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 6, 2013
    Have fun!

18. OOK

OOK

Oct 13, 2015
    Sorry I have come late to this party.. I had the same question about 8 months ago.... After researching, watching video reviews the good and bad, then hitting multiple gun shops I settled on what I think is the best first pistol.. I chose the Springfield armory xd mod2 subcompact in 9 mm. Here is the why..
    1. Saftey.. it has a backstrap saftey much like a 1911 in addition to a saftey trigger.. the gun will not fire unless both safteis are engaged..
    2. Grip \ feeling in hand..Man it is comfortable, it just fits my medium to large hands perfectly. The grip zone is awesome..
    3. It has great sights out of the box.. that front fiber optic just pops... Although I wanted nights sights and got tfo' s right away..
    4. Accurate... It shoots accurate... More to do with the shooter I know..
    5. It comes with one 13 round mag and one 16 mag all in a nice pelican style case.. Also between now and June 30 Springfield will send you 4 mags, mag carrier and I think a owb holster to get you started when you register your gun..
    6. Concealability... I have my ccw and being a sub compact this fit the bill..

I looked at many of the guns above and for one reason or another just didn't do it for me.. hope this helps... Happy hunting.. peace out ook;)

19. Charlie_K

Charlie_K

Jul 16, 2012
    I considered getting an XD pistol myself. But then I looked up the prices on magazines, and the Glock won out as a result.

20. SuzukiGS750EZ

SuzukiGS750EZ

Dec 30, 2008
    Did you have an interview at the town police station

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk