PLAIN, PART, OR FULL SERRATED

Some thoughts to share. For Spyderco's Most popular items (Endura, Delica), The serrated versions are more popular than the combo and plain edge combined, by a significant margin. Everyday work knives is my guess. serrations stay sharper longer (we use different standards in edge testing for plain or serrated).

In the Custom collaboration designs, plain edge version will equal or exceed the serrated version. Collectors, plain edges look better, knife is not used hard?

Also, not all serrations are created equal. Spyderco serrated knives are VERY sharp. We extend a great deal of effort to make it so. I believe this also makes a difference in choices.
sal

I have owned and continue to own all three, and while for individual jobs each has their own place I really like plain edges more. I think this is mainly because I have alot of trouble getting the serrations sharp enough once they have become dull. While I have no problem at all getting the plain edge knives as sharp as I want them. And I feel like that most of the time for what I use my knives the plain edge works better. Now if I spent all day cutting rope I might change my mind.
Ross
Oh yeah I think that the common observer is less scared by a plain edge, for some reason the serrations seem threatening to people.

Falcon,
For some reason? I've got to admit, when my wife pulls out her Spyderco Police, the thing looks like a Ripsaw in her hand! I'd be intimidated if she pulled that thing out on me! (Note; Abusive Husbands would be well advised to NOT teach their wives how to shoot and cut. You gotta sleep SOME time.)
biggrin.gif

I was surprised by the survey results. I figured that I was one of only a few who preferred plain edges. I guess if I carried one knife STRICTLY for defense, I'd want a serrated edge, but when you use it for utility work too, it's just too much of a pain in the a** to sharpen on a regular basis. If it's a paim you won't do it as often as you should.

------------------
I cut it, and I cut it, and it's STILL too short!

I have to agree with Falcon that most people find serrated edges threatening, they have a wicked look about them.
My only fully serrated knife is the Endura, which I am coming to enjoy more and more and I have found it sharpens up real well on my Sharpmaker. I sharpen both sides of the blade I don't know if this is right or not but it does get real sharp. I also have a Goddard Lightweight and find the 60/40 blade gives the best of both worlds. Having said all this I must admit to being mainly a plain edge freak and apart from the Civilian would probably not buy another serrated edge blade.

Sal Glesser's comments regarding the popularity of serrations on Spyerco knives are interesting. Why do you suppose serrations are so popular? I've given some thought to the matter, and here are some observations.

There are some cutting tasks where a serrated knife works better than a plain-edged knive. Cutting stiff plastics, for instance. There are also a number of tasks where serrations don't make much difference one way or the other, such as cutting tape. And of course, there are tasks that are virtually impossible to perform with a serrated edge, such as cutting a wide sheet of paper off of a roll, or scraping things, or chiseling thin materials against a hard surface.

If I am to carry only one knife, it will always be plain edged. If I'm to carry two knives, the second one might be fully serrated. But I hate combo-edges. I have only owned one combo-edged knife (a Benchmade Mini-AFCK), and it made me so mad I gave it away. In my opinion, a combo-edge is definitely NOT the best of both worlds, as more often than not the serrations actually get in the way.

So, why are serrations so popular? I think it's because the average plain edge, as owned and used by the average person, is pretty dull. So maybe the average serrated edge really IS more effective in the majority of instances. Perhaps this explains the relative popularity of serrations on Spyderco's cheaper knives: the more expensive knives are bought by people who know how to maintain them to the point where serrations cease to be a significant advantage.

Here is something else to consider: It often happens that people don't have the immediate option of buying the plain-edged version of a given model. Many times I have shopped for knives and found that the local dealer only has it in combo-edge or fully serrated. The explanation is that "combo-edges are far more popular". If people who don't care one way or the other see only serrated knives on display, and are told that "it's what most people buy these days", then they too will end up buying it, and the cycle perpetuates itself.

Now, there are some knowledgeable knife users on this forum who have tried all kinds and still prefer serrated or combo-edges over plain-edged knives. Be that as it may, I'll bet most serrated or partially serrated knives are bought by people who: (a) can't or won't sharpen a plain-edged knife to give it a fair chance; or (b) don't see a plain-edged version of the knife they are interested in.

Now I'll end this diatribe with an aphorism: People like combo-edges for the same reasons they like McDonald's "special sauce": somebody told them it's special, and it's the only way they can get a Big Mac.

David Rock

David,

It must be the name, I like you hypothesis.

I had been on something of a knee-jerk anti-serration kick, but my next purchase is going to be a serrated Endura 98. I reread the stuff by Sal and Rick Shultz of Mission K&T and I think serrated have purpose, but try to sharpen them with out a rig in the middle of nowhere.

MDP

Well it looks like the plain edge is in first place!! For sharpening serrated in the field my local dealer showed me a Gatco Tri-cep ceramic short stick..can carry with you! David I think your analogies are probably very good, that the majority of the buying public purchases serrated blades not by their own choice,(cause that dealer is holding a Cold Steel Ex Lg.Tanto)
biggrin.gif
But serrated edges for the average knife user just take less care. My local dealers still say that most people choose a serrated or combo, over plain even when both are side by side! Diamond Brands Outdoor Center..They like to sell Sharpemakers w/ every serrated!
biggrin.gif
I live a few blocks from Paragon Knives.They poll out selling more plain edges? I also found out that alot of the serious knife buying public ($50-$100)are police,fire,emt,mountain rescue,ect..and asking an emt friend, says they would not think of a plain blade..almost standard issue!ROCK CLIMBERS unite
biggrin.gif
..In one conversation a jon doe threw in "well if I was lost in the wilderness I sure would rather have a serrated or partial" Hmmm..Most multi tools have combo or both blades. Ideally we should carry both!! But as all the comments verify, knife nuts prefer plain BIG MACS,(special sauce adds 20 grams of fat)..YIKES..
redface.gif
but you know what David,fact.. in the world of hamburgers more millions of Big Macs are sold than any other hamburger in the world!!As long as people like them they WILL sell them. Guess people just like to feel special. Well I ordered a Microtech with pt. serrated,my first serious blade with serrations. Hey,why not? but if I don't like it I'm not giving it away!
biggrin.gif

---------------
Bart

One reason why Spyderco sells so many serrated edges is because they advertise their serrations as being special. In fact, most people I know who have heard of Spyderco acknowledge them because of that. Serrations are very handy on utility work, and are scary in defensive situations, (and with sharp serrations, it is very easy to slice through a large sheet of paper - or did you mean thick paper? - I've done it many at time, and they do as good a job even after you've used the knife heavily, than if you had a plain edge). I like my combo even though it's annoying to sharpen, but you don't have to do it as often. I've used the serrations on my combo plenty of times, sometimes even just to make a "nick" before i begin to cut material. Because my cutting duties vary a lot, it's a decent comprimise.

With that said, I'll admit that most of my knives (actually almost all of them) are plain edge, and and have few serrated or combo. I prefer them in general. But I do not dislike my combo, it's been too useful to me.
pk

David, For years I had plain edge knives, still do..Cut through a few pieces of cardboard, maybe some rope and its time to resharpen. Oh..the knife would still be useable, but I like my knives very sharp all the time. Then I tried a serrated edge. It still gets dull with a lot of use, but it lasts 10 times longer that a plain edge. They are just as easy to sharpen as a plain edge with the right tools. And I can sharpen a plain edge as well as anyone. Its as plain as the edge on your knife,if you use a knife to cut and not just to carry and flick, the serrated edge can't be beat..
Mick
ps. If I have to scrape or chisel, I use a scraper or a chisel, not my knife...

I always used a plain edge until I bought a Harpy serrated edge years ago. I liked it so much I bought 3 more for presents. Then I set off a metal detector (first time) at Kennedy airport during Desert Storm. While they didn't seem amused, I was not really hassled, just told that I could not bring it with me. I wound up checking it. I also had problems every time I used it and people saw it. So I switched to plain edge. Since I don't cut a lot of large diameter rope it doesn't seem to make much difference.

Danny

Don't get me wrong, Guys. I'm not opposed to serrations. In fact, I routinely carry a serrated Spyderco Delica on my person. But it's never my only knife: my usual knife load includes a plain Endura, a plain Calypso Jr., and a SwissTool (that's right, I usually have four knives on me). If I have to carry just one, though, it will always be plain edged.

I don't hate serrations. I do hate combo-edges though.

Nice thing is that we have so much freedom to choose whatever suits our fancy. McDonalds also makes the fabulous 1/4 Pounder. No Special Sauce. I love McDonalds. I love Spyderco. I love Spyderco serrations.

I just love plain-edges more, most of the time.

Love,
David Rock

LMAO Dave....That was a great comeback,..I love plain edges to..And your right about the freedom to choose, and the freedom to discuss our choices with each other on these forums...Thx for your reply...
Mick....A lover of any edge..as long as its sharp...

Hey folks, don't want anyone taking me wrong either, like I said all my knives have been plain edged,but rethinking my choices for daily carry (for me!) might be better to have two edges. Since I don't load myself down with more than one knife at a time as others might. In my opinion a blade with two different edges would work for more cutting, slicing tasks. I sure donot know how it could hurt. But that was the point of this thread. To hear how you knife nutts felt..I
personally have an open mind with all opinions,hey we all have our opinions. And with all due respect, I have learned in life that diatribes(they are just too cute) have no place with opinions. And as MICK said I like all knives as long as they are sharp, gotta be sharp!! So my apology if I seemed harsh! Not meant to be. Honestly Im lookin forward to getting my new combo edge..Who knows maybe Ill change my mind!
biggrin.gif

Has anyone seen a knife with serrations on one side and a plain edge on the other? I wonder how that would work out?

Bart, I for one didn't think you were harsh. I know sometimes its hard to tell with a written word. I thought it was a very informative thread. Its interesting to hear everyones ideas, especially if it concerns knives...
Mick

For the BF Native survey, I chose serrated over the plain blade because I believe this is one of the three essences of a Spyderco folder.

Generally, I'd choose 50/50 in a blade to cover all possible use.

On a tactical folder I like partial serrations, 40% serrations and 60% plain.
On a pure utility knife, such as my sebenza, I prefer no serrations at all, and I don't miss them.

Whoa, I just became a full member!
smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Mr Blonde (edited 01 March 1999).]

Has anyone bought or played with the Spyderco Dyad? Seems as if that one might solve the problem for some of us.
Dane

Back