PM2 vs Griptillian

PM2 all day long. In addition to the PM2 props above, also keep in mind that the PM2 is sooo much easier to disassemble and reassemble - and that's an important consideration for some folks, myself included.

Easy choice: Griptilian.

It has a better/stronger lock, is more fun to use, has a better blade to handle ratio, and a better warranty that allows for blade replacement and free lifetime maintenance.

Easy choice: Griptilian.

It has a better/stronger lock, is more fun to use, has a better blade to handle ratio, and a better warranty that allows for blade replacement and free lifetime maintenance.

I disagree on the lock. The axis is great in concept, but those thin little omega springs are prone to breakage, as has been shown many times on the forums. The compression lock is stronger and/or less likely to fail. If you want even stronger, check the CBBL in the Manix 2, Yo2, P'kal, etc.

I disagree on the lock...

Cool, agree to disagree. I never liked the compression lock and watching its weak performance in the Demko video only confirmed my suspicions. With regard to the cbbl "Axis-type" lock with a single thin little spring that pushes a ball in a plastic cage, I am not interested. Nothing is even remotely as smooth as the Axis, in my opinion (granted, button locks are up there). I have cycled Axis locks innumerable thousands of times and never had the slightest issue, ever.

To each his own. :thumbup::thumbup:

PM 2 for the blade, Grip for the, well, the grip and the ambidextrous axis lock.

PM2 offers better materials and quality than the Gip at a better value. But if you don't mind paying $100 for a knife with plastic handles then I can see where there could be some debate.

I own both. I love both. Overall, I'll pick the PM2 over the Griptilian, though it's a close race.

I don't think the PM2 is as slim as everyone seems to think it is; the Endura is significantly slimmer.

That said, it's definitely slimmer than the Griptilian.

I prefer the ergonomics of the Griptilian, as even though the PM2's handle is expertly designed to give you a great purchase on it and a high degree of control, the Griptilian's handle just feels awesome. The Griptilian's handle could only feel better if it were made of boobs.

I prefer the compression lock to the Axis lock; it's stronger and doesn't rely on omega springs, although the Axis lock is still quite strong and reliable. The Griptilian is a lot more fun to flip open and closed all day.

There's no beating the PM2's blade as far as I'm concerned. I love Spyderco's blade shapes, they're superb. I also think Spyderco does a significantly better job on sharpening (should be no surprise, it's what their company was originally built upon), and I prefer the spyder hole to thumb studs any day of the week. S30V also kicks 154CM's butt, although you can get a custom Griptilian with S30V, too. That's what I did, and while the blade on the whole is quite nice, the finish is dark, ugly and looks rough.

Benchmade will laser etch pretty much whatever you want on the Griptilian if you want to go custom. If you do go custom, the two knives are around the same price.

I like both BUT - to go slightly OT - a knife that sort of combines the best aspects of each of them is the sorely under-appreciated BM HK 14715
http://www.bladehq.com/item--HK-AXIS-Knife-Folder-3-Black-Plain--21492
good ergos, full liners, axis lock, g10 scales, high flat grind D2 blade = sweetness
I modified the handle and blade on mine a bit to suit me when I got it early in 2015, and haven't bought another knife that size since.
It does however > really < benefit from adding a low-ride pocket clip, which costs extra.

Last edited:
The BM probably has the stronger lock, as has been shown many times. But the Spyderco has a better handle to hand ratio. It has more to hold and thus is better at many tasks. They are both great knives, however.

Both are great. Pm2 feels more quality on account of lack of plastic handles. Grip is a better performer for my suburban task.

I like both BUT - to go slightly OT - a knife that sort of combines the best aspects of each of them is the sorely under-appreciated BM HK 14715
http://www.bladehq.com/item--HK-AXIS-Knife-Folder-3-Black-Plain--21492
good ergos, full liners, axis lock, g10 scales, high flat grind D2 blade = sweetness
I modified the handle and blade on mine a bit to suit me when I got it early in 2015, and haven't bought another knife that size since.
It does however > really < benefit from adding a low-ride pocket clip, which costs extra.

I believe the HK has the same screw setup as regular benchmades. So you don't need to pay for a low-ride/deep carry clip. Just call up Benchmade and ask for a Contego clip. They will send one out to you 100% free. BM IMO has the best customer service of the higher end production co's.

I love both for different reasons. The para is very cool and a heck of a slicer and poker. But the BM is a work horse and I actually love the feel and action of those cheap Noryl GTX handles.
You really need to own both.
Best of luck.

I have both and honest I think the Spyderco Manix 2 is a more similar to the Benchmade Grip, but if your dead set on the Para 2 or Grip, I would choose the Para 2. Call me a fan boy if you want but the Para 2 fits my hand better than the Grip ever has. Maybe I got a bad one but my Grip always had a bit of side to side play, while my Para 2 was rock solid. I own and love all three (Para 2, Grip, Manix 2) but the Para is my fav. My recommendation is try all of them and pick which one works for you.

Tough decision. I like both for different reasons.

I say try both and see which one you get attached to.

You and I may disagree, but I don't like boobs to feel like plastic, either.

Okay, point taken. I acknowledge that valox or FRN or Noryl GTX or whatever Benchmade is calling it isn't for everyone.

Never own the PM2 but the grip is an excellent knife, had it over 10 years, still going. GC

Back