PM2 vs Griptillian

BM's axis lock seems quite a bit stronger than the compression lock, and it is more fun to use. The detent is better with the axis lock because it stays closed better but opens more smoothly than the detent ball on the PM2's compression lock. I only have a minigrip to compare to my Para2, but I am not afraid to say that I much prefer the axis lock personally. Of course, that is where your money is going when you buy a benchmade. The axis lock and the warranty. The minigrips handles feel great, but the full size grip may be different because it only has partial steel liners. Either blade shape is fine with me, but I do like S30V more than 154cm. The Paramilitary has more comfortable finger placement, but the minigrip is more rounded and smooth, so tie on that one. I prefer the Spydie-hole to a BM thumbstud --- thumbstuds always make my fingers feel cramped.

One thing I do like is that Benchmade seems to have a better written and more comprehensive warranty, as well as the free lifesharp service. Spyderco has a warranty? I think? Their warranty is very convoluted. I wish Benchmade's prices were a little more competitive though.

I like my Minigrip and my Paramilitary 2 as knives. I don't necessarily like either company. If you want a much better lock and no choil, get the Griptilian. If you want a bit better steel, nicer handle material, 4-way pocket clip, and a choil, get a PM2. They both cut.

Years back when BM came out with the axis lock I bought a few, then sold some which I regret. yes price has gone up but the way I figure if you have one knife, the warranty is for life, at least for me, never had an issue with it, also same with Spyderco I had great service with them also, have gotten a new knife when I had an issue with the lock. These are my two Favorite Co. Yes the price has gone up but like everything else also. All you need one from both company & you should set for a long time. I got my moneys worth from both. Gary

I was pretty disappointed with my PM2. I know this thread is comparing it to the full-size Grip, but if you look at the actual cutting edge, it is much more comparable to the MiniGrip- which is my favorite EDC. Compared to the MiniGrip, the PM2 takes up much more pocket space for the same amount of edge. That terrible edge to overall length ratio and how much room it took up bugged me enough to sell it. Honestly, I liked my Delica better. Just MHO

I go with the PM2. I have carried Spyderco knives for over 17 years, so anything but the Spyder hole feels weird to me. The G10 is amazing in hand and super grippy, I would never go back to FRN now. And the handle shape is perfect.

My brother and some friends are Benchmade all the way, and they love the Grip. It's a great knife and the blade is awesome, but I just can't get behind the Axis lock. I have trouble one-hand closing.

Back