Podcast centered around slip joint making/traditional knife history - The Catch Bit Show

Oh so cool Charlie :cool:

Now that the Knife World know about that Knife- I am sure the interest in that piece will be big, I know the knives I have from your generosity mean so much to me- imagine your son or grandson one day actually owning THE knife you made - that's pretty neat. :)

Mike, Jason and Neal dropped another podcast!! An interesting discussion about "Easy Openers"!! Don't miss it!!!

When I was chatting with these interesting guys a few weeks ago, I bragged that I used to be a knifemaker!!! (tongue firmly in cheek here!! ;))
I finally located my one and only foray into the knife-making business!!
Most of the work was on the tailgate of my 1949 Fargo (Canadian Dodge) pickup truck!!
Cut from a broken two-man crosscut timber saw using an abrasive wheel on my electric hand drill, and handled in Vancouver Island blacktail stag, with welding rod pins, in 1971!!!
The sheath is made with brass shoe tacks I used to make sandals, and some copper rivets!!!!View attachment 2088801View attachment 2088802View attachment 2088803View attachment 2088804 Please excuse the misc. stuff used to prop the knife! It was 'roly poly' on the scanner!
A friend with shop sander did the final grind for me!!! It actually slices well!!
I shaved that piece of cork with it!!

Charlie, such a cool knife and story!!!
I dare say, that's a far better example than I could have made on my first attempt. And a great sheath also.
Did you put a few dents in that old truck tailgate? :).

Thanks, Sacto, JSutter, Padruig, Lithicus, nbp, Jack, and especially Duncan for your nice comments and support.
There is no money or financial support for this podcast, just passion for the hobby.
Hold up! Neal, Mike hasn't been sending you the royalty checks? :D

Always enjoy the weekends! Working around home with my wireless earphones on listening to podcasts- and as we have mentioned here many times - this Podcast is a favourite.

This latest episode 25 - Camp Knives, But before the discussion on Camp Knives Jason and Mike started it off by talking about their Shop work- which I find intriguing, the guys talking about their Workshop challenges lets us know that making a Knife isn't just cutting out some parts and slapping them together - we knew this- but man does it get technical- so very interesting for us to hear what's going on inside the walls of their Shops and the hurdles both Mike and Jason have to leap over.

Neal comes in with his chosen topic of the episode - this one being Camp Knives, so what Mike described as a primer to the discussion of the Camp Knives I am hoping there's more coming up, Neal took us through from the what seems like the Birth of the 4 bladed Camp / Utility knife. I enjoyed the conversation and when Neal talks about any particular subject there is learning involved for us too, and with a real soft spot for Camp/ Utility / Scout Knives I found this extremely interesting.

Thanks yet again Neal Mike and Jason! Please - keep this up!

Always enjoy the weekends! Working around home with my wireless earphones on listening to podcasts- and as we have mentioned here many times - this Podcast is a favourite.

This latest episode 25 - Camp Knives, But before the discussion on Camp Knives Jason and Mike started it off by talking about their Shop work- which I find intriguing, the guys talking about their Workshop challenges lets us know that making a Knife isn't just cutting out some parts and slapping them together - we knew this- but man does it get technical- so very interesting for us to hear what's going on inside the walls of their Shops and the hurdles both Mike and Jason have to leap over.

Neal comes in with his chosen topic of the episode - this one being Camp Knives, so what Mike described as a primer to the discussion of the Camp Knives I am hoping there's more coming up, Neal took us through from the what seems like the Birth of the 4 bladed Camp / Utility knife. I enjoyed the conversation and when Neal talks about any particular subject there is learning involved for us too, and with a real soft spot for Camp/ Utility / Scout Knives I found this extremely interesting.

Thanks yet again Neal Mike and Jason! Please - keep this up!
You got wireless earphones?! :eek: They're paying you too much! 🤣;):thumbsup:

As Herder mentioned above, the latest of the podcast series had Mark from Knife Magazine as a guest.
Oh boy to sit down for a few days and listen to Mark would be amazing.
I do remember reading about Phil Collins and his collection and the Knives in question.
When dealing with Knives at that level - it would be darned scary and talking to someone like Mark would be an investment for sure!

I was looking forward to this and I wasn’t let down - we all should be subscribed to the Knife Magazine as it’s a Classic and I love getting that Magazine and sitting down as Neal mentions on the Podcast.

Make sure you tune in as it is an easy listen and always an educational one that holds lots of interest.

Thanks to the “ Catch Bit Three “ once again, I’m going in my garage a bit later and have my second listen. 😊👍

First, great job on the podcast. I’ve listened to every episode, and I’ve enjoyed them all.

If I might be permitted one small criticism, I’ve started to roll my eyes a bit whenever the grumbling over the term “slipjoint” gets going.

I absolutely understand finding some terms annoying. For example, I grind my teeth whenever someone refers to a traditional folder as a “slippie.” And don’t even get me started on “fixie.” Nevertheless I recognize this is *my* problem, and so long as effective communication is taking place I just need to get over it.

I am of an age where I have more days behind me than ahead of me, and “pocket knife” was indeed the term we all used for the knives we carried when I was a boy, but to campaign for this to be the most common term today is to urinate up a rope. Times change, and the sorts of knives people carry in the past 60 years have changed as well.

When someone says “slipjoint” I know what they mean. “Traditional folder” is even more descriptive. “Pocket knife,” however is much too vague.

Just my two cents. Please keep up the good work!

Thanks Duncan, Ben, Charlie, and Frailer.
And Frailer, thanks for the observation regarding the term slipjoint on the show. Yes, we have probably been riding that horse a bit to hard even though it's (mostly) in jest. :)
I will certainly admit that I had no idea what that term meant not so long ago and had to ask an old pal what it referred to. After hearing the explanation, I jokingly asked "what's the new term for Bowie knife?"
Having grown up with the words "pocket knife" or "jack knife" I was a bit surprised to learn that a new term had been coined. I guess it's hard for an old dog to learn new tricks as they say.
Perhaps I'll just file "slipjoint" along with other new terms such as "freegan", "hangry", "glamping", "mansplaining", and "sober-curious". :)
But point well taken about over-playing a tired theme.
Thanks Frailer, and we really do want to hear any critiques or suggestions for the show from any of our porch friends.

Good points, and nice discussion, like you say Herder a lot of it is in jest, as is the turning away from the Sodbuster on there- there's a point to it - but a lot of it is thrown around in the banter the guys have which makes it a really nice easy listen.

To be able to hold onto Traditionalism - at times one needs to bring things back on the tracks- and when changes come about we all can accept them or turn a blind eye and let them run, so I understand the podcast in not wanting certain terminologies on there.

I think with Mike and Jason investing so much energy into the making and studying of Traditional methods passed down from the likes of Tony Bose - the amount of work and concentration and loss through mistakes made must be great to try and achieve true Traditional knives that come up to the standards of the Masters of yesteryear- and so with Herder and his huge investment in the learnings of all these Traditional knives and their Cutlers as well as the Factories, the need to hold onto traditional values are understandable.

There is a strong running Thread here in Traditionals that is moderated so well by it's op, and it has certain terms to post certain knives only- and that's fine- and its an amazing Thread.

Frailer Frailer - I too am in the same position as you- more years are left behind me than in front, and I feel lucky to be surrounded here in Traditionals by people like yourself and all who participate in this fine place we are in. :thumbsup: 🙂

Last edited:
Back