Police Model?

David Nowlin

Gold Member
Still learning and hope it never ends.
Another thread peeked my interest in this model. Speaking of the stainless steel handled model that is as the original was and the one i am interested in, are the ones that are out now close to the original as far as blade shape and hallow grind?
Looking to own a stainless steel handled Spyderco and really the Endura is super close in size to the police model and has the hallow grind drop point as opposed to the hallow grind spear point but would do the job at a lower price. Decisions decisions?
I just worry they will sell out the Hallow ground police model and i will have to settle for the full flat grind?
DN

In spite of what spydiewiki says, the original PIG and first generation Police was flat saber grind. So was the first G-10 Police. Not all saber grinds are hollow grinds as well. It may be that the stainless handle Police has finally fallen out of the top ten sellers where it has been for 36 years, but that is the only way I can see it going by the wayside. Frankly, I don't expect it to go away any time soon, but I have been wrong before.

Edit to add: to maybe answer your questions, or confuse you further, here is a picture of a second generation Police between two first generation Police.

Last edited:
So the 2nd gen is the one the current one mimicks?
Haven’t looked but i will check on how much used ones are on the bay but i sure like the new one in stainless.

The current production SS Police model is the second generation. Aside from the steel, the addition of four way clip placement and minute changes in lock geometry (and possibly a change from hollow saber back to flat saber grind) it is the same as it has been for thirty years.

The current production SS Police model is the second generation. Aside from the steel, the addition of four way clip placement and minute changes in lock geometry (and possibly a change from hollow saber back to flat saber grind) it is the same as it has been for thirty years.

Not exactly the same.

I prefer the Gen 2's that I have because of the lack of a lanyard hole and the lack of holes for alternate clip positions. Makes for a much cleaner and elegant knife IMO.

This is a photo of my 3 knife Gen 1 Police S/S set. The PE doesn't exactly match the others; need to fix that.

OYhYnr8.jpg

Last edited:
Bad news. Those are all gen 2. The first generation had slab sides (edges not chamfered) and a shorter lockbar (release is farther forward on the handle). Zoom in on my picture and you can see the differences. The lanyard hole has come and gone at apparently random times throughout the production history, the four way clip is a relatively recent addition - maybe five or six years ago at most. The Boye dent is older, added at about the same time as the switch from ATS-55 to VG-10.

Edit to add: I need to hit Sal up for bigger SpyderPacs. My Police collection doesn't all fit anymore.

Last edited:
Just when i think my 20 total no duplicates spyderco knife collection is getting out of hand i see this......
Very nice YAB!!

I’ll bet the SGT posted that to see if anyone would notice??
Once again i learned something new today.

I suspect he really thinks his are first generation. Most people don't realize that what we think of as the Police Model is actually the Police 2, which is why the P3 is the three and not the two. There was a total redesign between the first and second generation, all the small changes since then have not added up to another generation.

Edit to add: I've been chasing variations of the C07 for a dozen years, ever since I won an auction for what turned out to be a first gen (slab side) and an uncoated aluminum handle that I wasn't sure was a real Spyderco until I started doing research on the model. As far as I can tell, I have less than half of the variation they've made.

Last edited:
That truly is amazing. Like i’ve said 20 total Spyderco knives and my wife says “ how many knives do you need”?
Of course i say “ how many have they made”?
I will probably get one of the new all stainless in a SE blade. I know i was a combo blade leaner but really it is meant to be fully serrated JMHO.
If i can get one later then the CE will find a new home in my house. Or maybe the plain edge who knows my choices are which ever way the wind blows these days.
As a side, i like the size of the Police. I always carry a large knife when i am unable to carry my firearm. The Resilience or my Manix 2 have been doing that duty so far.

Bad news. Those are all gen 2. The first generation had slab sides (edges not chamfered) and a shorter lockbar (release is farther forward on the handle).

Sorry, you are correct. Already knew that. Brain fart on my part.

Text corrected above.

I need to hit Sal up for bigger SpyderPacs. My Police collection doesn't all fit anymore.

BTW, that's quite an impressive collection of Police models.

I just try to collect what I like the best among and w/in models but, even so limited, my collection of Spydies has expanded far beyond that I ever expected.

Wouldn't try to create a representative collection of "every" knife even w/in a specific model line (like the Police) because (as your collection illustrates) the number of variations that you'd have to purchase would simply be overwhelming . . .

but kudos to you for the effort you've put into collecting yours.

Last edited:
It is both interesting and frustrating. It seems like every time I snag one, it shows me another variation. Unexpected lanyard hole or sterile blade, no liners where I expected one or one where I expected none, the list goes on and on. The only exact duplicates in that pack are two PE first Gens, one of which is a placeholder for a PE PIG should I ever find one, and two P4s. The rest are all different in some way.

Last edited:
Back