Poll: When did you get your first GEC?

What year did you get your first GEC?

• Total voters
Crazy - any recollection of how much you paid for a 77 barlow?
Talking knives is good. Discussing price is not. It's detailed in the guidelines:
Thanks!

My first GEC made knife was the Northwoods big bay in green burlap micarta. That's actually how I found out what GEC was. I saw a Northwoods knife and then went on a hunt for one. I have a few Northwoods, but regular GEC production knives took over my focus from there on!

Beautiful knives, thanks for posting a pic. I never managed to snag a Northwoods, but I have a 93 and love it. I also don’t believe in not using my knives, so every GEC I own and like is a user, and several are waiting to be passed on to someone else who will like them more.
The 93 is a fantastic user sir. My pleasure to share. When the 83 Tascosa Lockback was announced I knew I had to grab as many as I could. In actuality my first traditional knives were actually bucks. I don’t know why I didn’t consider them Before making this post. I have a buck 110 and before that I had a small Lockback buck that I lost. But I loved that little Lockback so when they announced the 83 I was thrilled.

I managed to pick up 5 Tascosa lockbacks from the drop. 2 Bocote, 2 jigged bone, and 1 stag.

The bocote’s will become a father/son set for god willing one day I have a son. One of the others will likely be given to my nephew when he’s old enough, and the remaining to any other children God blesses me with.

I think the best part about these timeless knives is gifting them to others so that was the mentality I had in mind when I decided to get as many lockbacks as I could. It’s the perfect pattern for a little boy/girl’s first knife.

UnEPMGB.jpg

Talking knives is good. Discussing price is not. It's detailed in the guidelines:
Thanks!
Thanks Peregrin for calling out the no talking about price policy, had forgotten about that.

But truly, what kind of weirdo would buy dozens and dozens of old man slip joints.........? Makes no sense.
An old man? Old women? Some young folk who realizes a single blade profile isn't ideal for everything, and a 2 or more blade slipjoint is easier to carry than 3 or more single blade knives?
(Tho it is not uncommon for someone to carry 2 and more multipul blade slipjoints at once for an even greater selection of blades for whatever task comes up. I've had at least 2 or 3 in my RFP, every day for at least 60 years. :D)

I'm old ... I'm a man ... well ... a male, anyway ... I've never denied being at least somewaht "weird". ("life" would be mighty boring if you not at least a little bit weird.) I've never once claimed to make sense (and I'm rarely accused of doing so. :) ) ... counting all the various brands in my accumulation, I only have around six dozen/a half a gross of slipjoints ...

Last edited:
Thinking back to 2010 when I got my first GEC #66 Grizzly Cut Bone then there was a gap to '13 when I got the #73 Autumn gold bone, and '14 for the #92 Burnt Stag they have all seen some action earned patina but the Drought or Feeding frenzy has cooled my acquisitions. There will be another one day :cool:

The first GEC pocketknife I bought was maybe 11 years ago, didn’t even know it was made by GEC at the time. I was on a duck hunting trip to Arkansas and came home on I-40, stopped for a lunch break near Pigeon Forge TN and went into SMKW. They had several Schrade Fire & Ice heavy duty trappers in various handle colors and I bought a black pick bone version. The next year I bought a GEC off the internet (not sure who from) but it was this stag handled #66. The first that I had to “chase” was the 2013 SFO TC Real Sheepfoot Barlow (thanks to ”P“, a very active Porch member back then, for showing me the ropes of how to get one). I also ordered a GEC original Boy Scout Knife reproduction at the same time. I bought some other SFO’s, a couple of the Krack-A-Jack by GEC, but that was directly from the guy who had them made. I only buy GEC forum knives now, its too much trouble to get them on the “drops” and I don’t need another anyway. OH
GEC-661210-Burnt-Stag.jpg

GEC_153213_Barlow.jpg

GEC_153213EO_Scout.jpg

GEC_Krack-A-Jack_201001.jpg

I started collecting traditional folders back around 2000 and I mostly had knives from Queen, Schrade, Schatt Morgan, Case, Buck, and Northwoods. Then I took a hiatus around 2010 while I had kids and they were small. When I came back to the hobby, the GEC wars were in going full blazing glory, so I mostly missed out on the days when the GEC knives sat in inventory. I bought my first GEC (I think it was a 62) in 2020, so I don't own too many.

The 93 is a fantastic user sir. My pleasure to share. When the 83 Tascosa Lockback was announced I knew I had to grab as many as I could. In actuality my first traditional knives were actually bucks. I don’t know why I didn’t consider them Before making this post. I have a buck 110 and before that I had a small Lockback buck that I lost. But I loved that little Lockback so when they announced the 83 I was thrilled.

I managed to pick up 5 Tascosa lockbacks from the drop. 2 Bocote, 2 jigged bone, and 1 stag.

The bocote’s will become a father/son set for god willing one day I have a son. One of the others will likely be given to my nephew when he’s old enough, and the remaining to any other children God blesses me with.

I think the best part about these timeless knives is gifting them to others so that was the mentality I had in mind when I decided to get as many lockbacks as I could. It’s the perfect pattern for a little boy/girl’s first knife.

UnEPMGB.jpg
That’s a good looking group. I was surprised how small the 83 was when I first got my hands on one, and I agree they are the perfect first knife for kids

Back