Poll: When did you get your first GEC?

What year did you get your first GEC?

• Total voters
E1E2600A-2257-45B6-96BE-6C223F7CC286.jpegMy first GEC was the 15 one arm boys knife.
I had a good bit of traditionals but nothing that rivaled the quality of this.

I think I got this in the summer of 2014 and I bought just about every 15 I could get except the Farm Boy and Electrician, both sat at one dealer for many months before some lucky soul got them.

I wish they would do the one arm blades again, they are great for cutting and using as a fork if needed.

At the time, I thought it might be my last knife ever! 😆

I though the same thing with my cocobolo 93 :) in 2019

I had been eyeing GEC's for quite a while and this particular knife had generated a lot enthusiasm.
My collection consisted of just a few knives. Opinels, Bucks, SAK etc.

I really wanted to find "my grail" lol and call it quits.

My wife and I were at the beach when by total chance I happened to see a micarta one available at a dealer
I talked it over with my wife, thought about it for a while and bought it.
The dealer contacted me a couple days later apologizing as they did not have any micarta left however they could send me a cocobolo for the same priceo_O

I was ecstatic 🤩 and still remember my knees getting sort of weak as I was opening the package at the USA UPS office over the border.

I have 8 GEC's now :) however there is nothing like the first "high" LOL

Coming back to Canada on the international bridge over the Saint Lawrence river

GpfcVWk.jpg

uIh0XKs.jpg

This was my first back in 2015. I was more into modern folders but I really liked the streamlined look of a traditional spearpoint so I picked this one up as my first and last traditional knife purchase of 2015 and maybe 2016. If only I'd known that 2015 was the golden year of GEC knives (imo). Hindsight is always 20/20

IMG_3689.JPG

I had been eyeing GEC's for quite a while and this particular knife had generated a lot enthusiasm.

My wife and I were at the beach when by total chance I happened to see a micarta one available at a dealer
The dealer contacted me a couple days later apologizing as they did not have any micarta left however they could send me a cocobolo for the same priceo_O

I was ecstatic 🤩 and still remember my knees getting sort of weak as I was opening the package at the USA UPS office over the border.

GpfcVWk.jpg

uIh0XKs.jpg
Outstanding grain on that one sir. A quality example. The 2019 93’s are one of my favorites in my collection

This 73 Stainless was a 2 blade when it arrived as my first GEC in late 2007. I was stunned when I opened the tube :cool: Later had one blade deleted. In 2008 I got 3or 4 more 73s and these were the days when you could mull over your buying, even here in far away Europe . Change is not always better. Then 2011 saw GEC make its first Forum Knife and usher in the 85 pattern. Despite the arcing in popularity of GEC; increased prices, shipping price rises, imposition of 25% import tax, and the general frenzy when a new release comes out; I've been very lucky to be able to own a GEC for every year from 2007 to this year. Helped by altruism here, on occasion .

My first GEC and GEC's first pattern the 73.

vdvfrre.jpg

And the latest a 38 English Whittler 2021- my thanks to Leslie Tomville Leslie Tomville for making it happen.

KN4oOyF.jpg

Last edited:

GpfcVWk.jpg

uIh0XKs.jpg
Beautiful - curious about something - do you wipe it off after every use? I noticed there’s no patina. All my knives quickly lose their shine because I end up cutting a lot of fruits and vegetables.

Beautiful - curious about something - do you wipe it off after every use? I noticed there’s no patina. All my knives quickly lose their shine because I end up cutting a lot of fruits and vegetables.

Those pics are from when it was brand new :)
I then went on to use it on all kinds of quick meal preps in picnics and outings and it soon got a nice patina.
After a while I decided to Flitz it off and now I don't use this knife on foods anymore.

WWfJ4xz.jpg

The first GEC pocketknife I bought was maybe 11 years ago, didn’t even know it was made by GEC at the time. I was on a duck hunting trip to Arkansas and came home on I-40, stopped for a lunch break near Pigeon Forge TN and went into SMKW. They had several Schrade Fire & Ice heavy duty trappers in various handle colors and I bought a black pick bone version. The next year I bought a GEC off the internet (not sure who from) but it was this stag handled #66. The first that I had to “chase” was the 2013 SFO TC Real Sheepfoot Barlow (thanks to ”P“, a very active Porch member back then, for showing me the ropes of how to get one). I also ordered a GEC original Boy Scout Knife reproduction at the same time. I bought some other SFO’s, a couple of the Krack-A-Jack by GEC, but that was directly from the guy who had them made. I only buy GEC forum knives now, its too much trouble to get them on the “drops” and I don’t need another anyway. OH
GEC-661210-Burnt-Stag.jpg

GEC_153213_Barlow.jpg

GEC_153213EO_Scout.jpg

GEC_Krack-A-Jack_201001.jpg
I guess I did not Know that there had to be a Need Bruce . I really Like the Krack A-Jack my friend . There is a Real Need right there .

Harry

GpfcVWk.jpg

uIh0XKs.jpg
My wife and I were just talking about some of you folks who do a Great Job with photos and then came yours . I can still remember that same feeling with my first one Dan . My first package had a 77 Clip and Two 77 Sheepfoot . Both in Old Red .

I think I got my first around 2017. At the time, I had just started working construction and that meant getting to use my knives- a lot. So I was carrying my case sodbuster for demo work which made me want a nicer slipjoint to use at lunch. I believe it was a 53 off the exchange, elk stag and north field trim? But after awhile I ended up with a few different patterns. My favorite was a green bone 53 muskrat, which like an idiot I sold. I then bought it back, and then like a bigger idiot sold again. I wish I had it now!

I think one of these 2...the red is 2010 the Ebony 2011...I could have sworn these were earlier than that...I started with pocket knives and BF late 06...at first mainly Schrades and cheap old Imperials etc...these two are from when I jumped in the deep end....early on I also had 2 25s ..goldenrod sawcut and an Elk...I swapped them with pmew pmew Policeman Paul from the Outer Hebrides..for a second tradforum 2017 TC Barlow...which I since gave away in the worlds first covid gaw
20210925-115527.jpg

Tempus fugit.
Interestingly this Carved Pumpkin Sunfish is 2008...I hovered over it on the dealers site for over a year...it must have been sitting for at least 4years probably more!!! those were the days.😄
20210925-115657.jpg

May 12, 2009, bought this #54 Big Jack in Burnt Grizzly Cut Bone from CollectorKnives for $79.76. It's a 2008 knife, so Mike had it on his website for at least 6 months when I bought it new.

4GbpmU5.jpg

I just sold some a few weeks ago to pay some medical bills, and am now down to 99 GECs. I won seven #53 Cuban Stockmen off eBay that I paid less than $75 each for. I have a "1 of 4" Cuban that I only paid $99 for. The last two #53 Cubans that I needed to complete my collection were both "1 of 2", and I paid $1500 for the pair. A lot has changed in 12 years.

Good & Plenty
noHo8Lv.jpg

Black Stag
AIzQqHh.jpg

I found myself back into the knife buying game after I’d resumed whittling in 2016/2017. I went back to Case, my old stand by, and after several bad experiences I found Great Eastern Cutlery in later 2017/early 2018.

Knowing nothing about the brand, I lurked through these forums, which began my love affair with GEC and Blade Forums.

By March 2018 I’d received my first GEC.

CUjTAgh.jpg

Back