Post your pet photos here!

Standard issue tabby are my favorite.

4F810E1C-B957-42C7-A8FB-CD782BFECB12-6080-0000037516FE9627.jpg

E3214C3D-7F27-4D92-B318-EFBD70D80C4B-6080-000003750F14D6C0.jpg

3DB176E9-3390-4F9B-BB1C-7BE976509909-6080-0000037513734ACA.jpg

Hey NY,

Is your dog a border collie mixed with Springer?
Looks like a great pooch!

I'm not sure. She sure looks it and likes to run. My favorite living being! Love her. Her name is Charlie. She is 3&1/2. When we got her she was 3 mos. they said lab mix from Puerto Rico.

I'm not sure. She sure looks it and likes to run. My favorite living being! Love her. Her name is Charlie. She is 3&1/2. When we got her she was 3 mos. they said lab mix from Puerto Rico.

Good deal, thanks. Going to be looking for another dog in a month or so, after I finish fencing in the yard, so been checking out all the rescue agencies as I get closer to being ready

I should post pics of all the animals at my store, I call them my work pets anyways. It sure is fun to work for a pet store!

Hey trk, where are you located and what are you looking for? I have dealt with lots of rescue groups, breeders, and such from San diego to Seattle. I can help you find what you're lookin for if you need, also I can give you some insight about things to watch out for and why. Not just the dogs, but the people/place/organization.

-X

I should post pics of all the animals at my store, I call them my work pets anyways. It sure is fun to work for a pet store!

Hey trk, where are you located and what are you looking for? I have dealt with lots of rescue groups, breeders, and such from San diego to Seattle. I can help you find what you're lookin for if you need, also I can give you some insight about things to watch out for and why. Not just the dogs, but the people/place/organization.

-X

X,
Thanks for the offer. I'm in San Diego county, north east of downtown. I'm most likely looking for a medium sized dog, short hair, and doesn't matter on M or F. Cattle dog, aussie shepard, border collie, GSD, Lab, Mutt or some combination. Don't need pure breed, and as we all know there's way to many dogs in shelters and needing adoption. Only restriction is I can't have a Pit or pit or bull terrier mix, chows, Jindos, Rotties, as Homeowners insurance will get cancelled.

Now I know the dogs aren't the issue, but it's just a hassle I don't need to have with stupid insurance co.
Want a dog I can hike with and take lots of places as my buddy. The rescue organizations, well, there's a story there but will be curious about whatever insights you have.

-Paul

First thing with "rescue" groups to as is what does the money go towards. Also, ask for a tax write off if you donate to them, this will let you know if they are really a 503 (c) and not just makin money in their pocket. Places like county pound and such offer cheap adoption fees mostly because vets volunteer to sterilize th dogs, and usually only give one shot. Good groups will fix, microchip, give all shots and make sure the dog is healthy on all fronts.

Groups that use foster homes normally have better insight and working knowledge of the dogs. How they are with other pets, kids, potty trained, etc.

I talk to people all the time who had a dog growing up, but that was years ago, and now they want a Border Collie or other herder. I don't know if you fall into this category or not. But Border collies are not for the novice owner. Even BC or "cattle dog" mixes will be a handfull. They need constant stimulation or they get bored and destructive. Aussies and ACD's not as bad, but can be. Be prepared fo lots of training, lots of working wth the dog.

The better companion dogs usually are the guarding or sporting breeds. Boxer Dog, GSD, goldens, labs, springers, sandard poodle, dobermans, grey hound (very lazy dogs), catahoula, etc. Again, this is based off of breed standards and my own experiances over the years. Mixed breeds often can be anything you want them to be, but will show traits of the dominate genes from pure breeds in the past.

This is just general overview, don't have much time to give all my thoughts on the many sketchy groups out there. Just watch out for pet hoarders trying to make a buck, they really don't do any good for the animals or future animal rescue groups.

-Xander

thanks, Xander, for the heads up on asking for the tax write off, hadn't thought about that but good call.

Agree with you on Rescue agencies prepping the animals better as far as medical, spay, etc. along with having a better handle on dog's personality and traits.

I've been around canines all my life, from growing up with them to handling all my friends dogs so have come in contact with all the breeds you mentioned and then some. Have had prior experience with the cattle dogs, aussie shepherds and BC's and their intelligence and drive are kinda what I'm after. Also, been seeing a lot of mixes so like you said, some of those dominant traits/genes might be not as present. Ready for it either way.

Want a full time buddy and was planning on lots of training, attention, including agility training, frisbee, or or some variation involving their brain. Also volunteer at a wildlife facility housing North American and Mexican grey wolves so have lots of experience with canines and while there are major differences between wolves and dogs the work I've done there has vastly improved my dog handling abilities.

Would love to see pix of dogs at your store. Thanks for your comments. Will post back as I move forward in this process.

Paul

Great pics!
I know I have already posted my share.....but just wanted to put up a couple more!
Just love this guy
A week or two ago in the canoe....thankfully we didn't tip this time!
1004057_10153019576275103_2079226763_n.jpg

1005288_10153019576530103_1465190926_n.jpg

And this one ice fishing at the end of March
24454_10152677728965302_2101213613_n.jpg

Well sounds as you know what comes with a herding dog, good! I just hate when people get a BC and expect it to be a back yard ornament, not saying that is you. Asking for a tax write off is a personal matter, but be sure to ask for any paperwork to prove they are a registered non profit, its better for everyone involved.

Dog mentality/society isn't far off from wild wolf behavior. All dogs are pack animals and the dynamic is still there, even in chihuahuas! Be sure to try different training methods, every dog is different. But sounds as the dog isn't going to be the problem. Finding the right organization will be the hard part. Working bio's of the dogs is the biggest factor. How long has the dog been in thier care, behavior issues, how the dog is kept, crate trained (not likely with a herder), house broken, psychological issues, if the diet has been steady.

The dogs at my store are smaller breeds, mini daschund mix, chi-mix, terrier mix etc. Local chapters of SPCA are always a good place to start, also most pure breed specific rescue groups are great to deal with.

Best of luck!

-X

We have dogs only on the weekends, but rabbits, hamsters, g-pigs, finches, parakeets, teils, and bettas are all the time.

-X

Those all sound like pets to me!
Appreciate the advice you are giving out here and I hope anyone considering a dog does plenty of research and reflecting.
Not a decision to be taken lightly and more work than people think...but well worth it. Wouldn't trade Blue(Border Collie) for the world

Thanks, Xander, really looking forward to hanging with a canine I can actually pet, lol. True, as you said, all dog breeds carry the wolf genes, and behavior is very similar in some ways. Looking forward to working with a dog and figuring out what training methods work and just learn what the "give & take" is between us so I can strengthen the communication and bond between us.

Think you're right about the working bio's. Have already seen some examples that didn't actually reflect true temperment of the dog. In general though the right rescue agency will have done things right.

Hey Sullie, your dog looks fantastic, congrats to you too!

Thanks TkrJr! I am definitely fortunate to have a dog like Blue
I'll be keeping a watch on this thread to see your new best friend!

Guess I should introduce my big girl Roxie!

Argentine Boa, female, 5-6 years old

wDOlf.jpg

This was right after I got her 3 years ago. She's a bit bigger now!

GmqCHlv.jpg

Close up of her pretty head :)

1GMCn.jpg

She lives at my dad's photography studio; a star in the making!

c9yPP07.jpg

And my all time favorite pic of Roxie

D7sBL78.jpg

We lost our little buddy Monday after a pretty stressful and frustrating weekend.

RIP Damien ;_;

Back