• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Postal Packages

It's normal protocol to remove drop boxes for special events - such as an inaugurations, conventions, etc. It's a security basic - been done for 20 years. That goes for USPS, Fedex and UPS boxes too.
And yes they have been removing some drop boxes - because no one uses a lot them anymore. I can't remember the last time I used a USPS drop box. Same reason they have removed some sorting machines - that sort letters - NOT pkgs ………… they don't all get used, cost $ to maintain (they are old) and need they space for pkgs. Letter volume at USPS has been dropping substantially for years....hence they do not need as many now. If you had five cars because you had a wife and three kids that needed them and you had to maintain, pay taxes and pay insurance for them all - but then your kids moved away (got their own cars) and your wife died > would you keep the 5 cars and pay to maintain them all when you only need one or two now?? I doubt it.
Defend it anyway you want. Removing sorting machines and then having utility bills showing up past the due date is more than bad optics, it's running an organization poorly, at best, deliberate sabotage at worst.

upload_2021-1-20_11-56-35.png

By the way - they have been reducing old sorting machines across the US for something like 15+ years now as a result.

upload_2021-1-20_11-59-41.png

I am not defending anything - just putting facts out there. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that you do not need more sorting machines to sort half the letters you once had. And that gee, it might be a better use of space to help sort pkgs - which are growing.

And there is the proof that all this started well before the current PMG was put in place. You can blame every PMG since 2000 till now. I guess they have all been purposely sabotaging the USPS for the last 20 years...… they knew we would have the pandemic combined with record level ecommerce back then and they all wanted to delay your letter in December. :rolleyes:

View attachment 1494528

By the way - they have been reducing old sorting machines across the US for something like 15+ years now as a result.

View attachment 1494530

I am not defending anything - just putting facts out there. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that you do not need more sorting machines to sort half the letters you once had. And that gee, it might be a better use of space to help sort pkgs - which are growing.

And there is the proof that all this started well before the current PMG was put in place. You can blame every PMG since 2000 till now. I guess they have all been purposely sabotaging the USPS for the last 20 years...… they knew we would have the pandemic combined with record level ecommerce back then and they all wanted to delay your letter in December. :rolleyes:
I wish you luck living in your fantasy world on this issue. I'll not waste my time responding to you further. :thumbsup:

The USPS has breen in decline for decades. They had about 200% of the staff they needed when I was Christmas temp years ago; I could finish my route, on foot, in three and a half hours of the eight scheduled. The myth is that it is a self-supporting independent agency: "We don't take Tax-Payer money." Can you say "bald-faced lie"? The reality is that Congress directs them to th level of small details - like the cost of a First Class Stamp down to the Penny, and gives them $billions each year to cover their losses due to not running like a business - about $40,000,000,000 for 2020, up from $3,900,000,000 last year. The often-cited sorting machines eliminated by the new, bald PMG were used to sort First Class letters - flat envelopes. They were used less and less as First Class Mail disappears into the maw of the Internet and cell phone. The problem now is packages due to a combination of greatly increased volume (The COVID Effect) and USPS employeees not working (The "COVID" Effect). We are near the epicenter of the crisis. Cleveland is the second-worst strangle point. Like the looming collapse of the IRS, the problem gets kicked down the road every year for the "next" guy to solve. Anything that would introduce efficiency is denounced by one and all. Let's keep doing the same thing and expect different results.

Last edited:
If this keeps up, Amazon will open up prime to the general public and the USPS will be reduced to a few remote rural outposts.

n2s

For the record, my "world" that I live in is small package logistics. I am not going to say with whom, because it doesn't matter that much and it's probably not who some may think. Been in it 25 years. It's not been a fantasy ha ha. I've been a driver, loaded vans/trailers, worked and managed sorts, managed locations, worked in engineering. Planned and opened new facilities, setup routes and sort plans. Worked with material handling and sorting systems. Helped manage engineering and operation plans for entire district/states. I've worked on cross functional teams to handle special events - such as inaugurations and political conventions. And yes, you remove Drop boxes - because they are a security risk - someone could easily put something in them that is not so nice. So, they didn't do that to slow your mail service. And I have lived through the difficulty of trying to make sure everyone's packages get serviced as best as possible during this pandemic. I find it insulting that anyone claims it's impact is a bunch of BS. You are sooooooooo wrong. There are thousands of people working hard on the front lines so a lot of others can sit on their butts and order stuff without risk or effort.
I am happy to do it - because it's my job. At some point people who have no idea what they are talking about and spread nonsense and non-truths need to be told the facts.
That's all I will say as well.

And yes USPS service was lousy this year... now that is not a fantasy. A lot of intelligent people in this thread have tried to explain why - with facts. I finally got a package yesterday that went through St Louis and sat there for 9 days. But, I still survived and my life goes on. I just had to wait a couple of extra weeks for my flashlight - oh the travesty.

If this keeps up, Amazon will open up prime to the general public and the USPS will be reduced to a few remote rural outposts.

n2s
I hate to say it but I deliver more Amazon packages than most of the Amazon drivers. People keep saying “Amazon can do it....” it’s only because of the USPS.

craytab craytab I love you man but you, sir, should stop listening to the BS media.

I placed an order with New Graham Knives (@Michael Dye) late Tuesday morning, qualified for free shipping and had the order in my mailbox Thursday afternoon.

Maybe I got lucky but so far no complaints with USPS.

I hate to say it but I deliver more Amazon packages than most of the Amazon drivers. People keep saying “Amazon can do it....” it’s only because of the USPS.

craytab craytab I love you man but you, sir, should stop listening to the BS media.
Not listening to any BS media. Going from personal experience and listening to our local workers. Maybe you should consider that things in your area aren't the same as other areas where people are having major issues because of a deliberate lack of favorable leadership at the top of the USPS. Things were never run great at the top of the USPS, but they were made much worse the last couple years. What we have seen with this epic failure the last couple months are the results of poor policy choices at the top. Once any type of adversity is introduce, the system completely fell apart.

I hope for the USPS's workers sake, there is no permanent damage done to the organization.

I've been sending more stuff UPS, stuff that needs to get places by a certain date will go UPS from now on. I'm not the only one too. I go to the UPS store right when it opens, every time there has been more and more people in line shipping things. The other day the line was out the door at 8am.

And my deliveries are only marginally better. My USPS distro center is still playing the game where it can take a week for a package to go from there to my local PO, less than 5 miles away. Amazon, UPS, and Fedex have not missed a single delivery date.

Not listening to any BS media. Going from personal experience and listening to our local workers. Maybe you should consider that things in your area aren't the same as other areas where people are having major issues because of a deliberate lack of favorable leadership at the top of the USPS. Things were never run great at the top of the USPS, but they were made much worse the last couple years. What we have seen with this epic failure the last couple months are the results of poor policy choices at the top. Once any type of adversity is introduce, the system completely fell apart.

I hope for the USPS's workers sake, there is no permanent damage done to the organization.

I've been sending more stuff UPS, stuff that needs to get places by a certain date will go UPS from now on. I'm not the only one too. I go to the UPS store right when it opens, every time there has been more and more people in line shipping things. The other day the line was out the door at 8am.

And my deliveries are only marginally better. My USPS distro center is still playing the game where it can take a week for a package to go from there to my local PO, less than 5 miles away. Amazon, UPS, and Fedex have not missed a single delivery date.
Well said. I can respect that.
The main problem for the USPS is we are the ONLY government entity that is require by law to pay BILLIONS of dollars every year to “pre fund” retirement cost.

Well said. I can respect that.
The main problem for the USPS is we are the ONLY government entity that is require by law to pay BILLIONS of dollars every year to “pre fund” retirement cost.
No doubt another issue.

All employers have obligations to set aside funds for pensions under ERISA. The Union made sure the USPS plan is especially generous. They are, after all, eployees of the state.

USPS shipping is definitely improved, I mailed out 6 lights Monday First Class, a few got there yesterday & the rest are being delivered today, I received a Priority today from the east coast & it took the same time to get to me as my First Class packages took, I think there's light at the end of the tunnel__:D:):thumbsup:

USPS shipping is definitely improved, I mailed out 6 lights Monday First Class, a few got there yesterday & the rest are being delivered today, I received a Priority today from the east coast & it took the same time to get to me as my First Class packages took, I think there's light at the end of the tunnel__:D:):thumbsup:
I don't know. It seems extremely regional. I mailed priority to VA (about 400 miles away). It got there in 2 days but has been sitting in a distro center in Norfolk for 5 days. Hopefully it gets delivered Monday, which will make it 10 day trip that is about a 7 hour drive. Meanwhile, a package from MN has made it to my local distro center in 2 days, hopefully it doesn't sit there or on a truck at the local PO, and is delivered on schedule Monday.

My other incoming and out going packages have taken about double the priority quote of 2-3 days, which I'm okay with. It is when the wait gets into double digit days with no movement that I get nervous.

It's normal protocol to remove drop boxes for special events - such as an inaugurations, conventions, etc. It's a security basic - been done for 20 years. That goes for USPS, Fedex and UPS boxes too.
And yes they have been removing some drop boxes - because no one uses a lot them anymore. I can't remember the last time I used a USPS drop box. Same reason they have removed some sorting machines - that sort letters - NOT pkgs ………… they don't all get used, cost $ to maintain (they are old) and need they space for pkgs. Letter volume at USPS has been dropping substantially for years....hence they do not need as many now. If you had five cars because you had a wife and three kids that needed them and you had to maintain, pay taxes and pay insurance for them all - but then your kids moved away (got their own cars) and your wife died > would you keep the 5 cars and pay to maintain them all when you only need one or two now?? I doubt it.

This is what really happened.
https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/16/politics/dejoy-post-office-hot-seat-election-2020/index.html

I've had the same credit card for years. Always get my statement on the last day of the month, or the first day of the month. It came in January on the 20th! Twenty days late and never late before.

Ahhh. CNN.......there is a reliable source. A political article written by two reporters who have zero experience in logistics.
Oh and the ballots all made it fine for elections across the country, so they are debunked even if you bought their hack job.

But sure that's what really happened:D

Covid and record ecommerce is what impacted the usps and other carriers come the holiday peak season. And just like monofletch; I lived it. Stop listening to media know nothings with bs political agendas.

Back