Prepping for Blade

Work work work. I'm still alive. Just havnt posted much. Hope to update the thread soon with some progress pics. Stay tuned.

Great stuff in this thread. Can't wait to see more progress shots. Keep up the good work. I bet you'll sell out at blade. I really like all your designs so far. Those cleavers are really badass

Got out to the shop at 8a.m. this morning. Pretty much ran out of gas about 3:30. That's about when Murph came by to kick me in the ass and remotivate me. Among other things, got 10 Yumas heat threated today. Murph is slowly but surely learning the art of heat threat. I let him do it today under my watchful eye of coarse.
2013-03-30193852_zps1cb97d2f.jpg
2013-03-30193900_zps8f6f22a2.jpg
2013-03-30193904_zpsc0d5d249.jpg
my favorite
2013-03-30194100_zpsca787e8a.jpg

Got some good shop time in today. It all felt pretty glorious and manly, despite the "mead". Heat treated some yumas, drilled a lot and added some jimping.

2013-03-30_18-44-59_36_zps2d866628.jpg

2013-03-30_18-45-28_381_zps7baefaea.jpg

Oven's about ready.

2013-03-30_18-46-11_959_zps12a6c409.jpg

2013-03-30_19-31-16_576_zps3f26dc6d.jpg

Outta the oven, ready for handles and finishing.

2013-03-30_20-29-15_717_zps0879595d.jpg

Well, we gotta draw em first, then they'll be ready for all of that! ;)

Today something happened that hasn't happened since I decided to go to Blade. I smiled when I walked into the shop.........I know it sounds stupid. But I've been stressin a lot over this. As you all know I take my knifemaking seriously and I feel that Blade with either make or break me as a kifemaker. I have a goal of at least 70 knives to take and today I counted zero as finished. Why did I smile you ask? Because I have 32 knives that need very minimal work to be finished, another 17 heat threated ready to go together, and everything else cut out and profiled witch is 1/3 of the work. I've got a jump on my sheaths and to put it in persective, I'm exactly at the half way point from the day I decided to go to blade. Not to mention I've still been delivering customer orders AND thrown a couple of pieces up for sale here on my sub forums. Its been difficult, but I think I've lived up to what I've wanted to do thus far.

Having said that, I have no idea if I will accomplish what I want out of all of this. But, I intend on continuing to give it my all, and thats why I'm smiling. As always, I still got good people that have my back. Murph has pretty much been over every weekend to help do whatever I ask him to do. My dad swings by every Tuesday and some saturdays to help and to offer advice. (Which I do value being the craftsmen that he is) Jeff, even though he isn't a pretty one, is the best secretary a man could have. All of these poeple let me concentrate on my goal and they really let me keep focused in the shop.

Blade is going to be a lot of things for me. Its going to be a business trip, a vacation, a time to work but yet a time to relax, a time to visit old friends and a time to make new ones. If you guys have read most of this thread you'll know that I'm staying with my cousin that lives in Alanta. Its going to be good to see him. Its going to be good to be there with my wife, and my friends Jeff (Diesel D) and Murph (Murphnuge) its also going to be be fun to rid the city of Atlanta of all beer they may have...............and if I can sell a knife or two, its just gonna be a added bonus............yeah..........I'm smilin!

Last edited:
I just ordered two more full sides of leather to finish making all the sheaths i need to make. Thats one whole cows worth of leather for those of you that care.........Damn man. those cows are worth a lot more dead than they are alive. I didnt even get a decent steak out of the deal. :grumpy:

I just ordered two more full sides of leather to finish making all the sheaths i need to make. Thats one whole cows worth of leather for those of you that care.........Damn man. those cows are worth a lot more dead than they are alive. I didnt even get a decent steak out of the deal. :grumpy:

Just make sure you use it all to make sheaths this time.
1974-Leatherface.jpg

Just make sure you use it all to make sheaths this time.
1974-Leatherface.jpg

Well then quit asking me to make you a pair of assless chaps! and while were at it, NO, i dont have any pink dye! you got to go to Psyop for that kind of stuff!:D

Yeah, I was pricing sides of leather at Tandy the other day just out of curiosity. I know I'm not all that young anymore but damn, I have bought whole cows for less than they wanted for some of those sides...

Tandy has good some good stuff but they seem to know that. I have bought tools off of them but I do my dealings as far as leather with a couple in Kentucky. there website is kentuckyleatherandhides.com check em out. good stuff and reasonably priced. plus you got to dig a dude that ALWAYS wears a coon skin hat AND has a cigar stickin out of his mouth.

Sorry all. I know I havnt been the best at keepin this thread updated. Truth is, ovbiously I've been busy. My intention was for this to get easier as Blade got closer, but in fact, its gotten harder. I knew it would, but I was hopefull it would be easier. I believe anything worth while you have to work hard for. I've found myself in a couple of mental slumps due to work, exaustion, rotten luck, and admitingly my sh!tty attitude at times. But, like things usually do, I think its all gonna work out. The knives are coming along well, and I will be showing them here on my subforum before I leave for Atlanta. Whatever I come back with will go up for sale here on my subforum for all of you that has be paitent. So stay tuned. I'm still workin hard, and I've got every one at my disposal working hard too. Its gonna be fun. Thanks for all of your support!

Ugg! Blade right around the corner. Working on large batch of M-18's now. 10 to be exact. Hoping to take 5 to blade. The rest are customers. Time is a crunchin.

Still pluggin along. Missed the mothers day celebrations today. My mom is out of town. My wife went to her moms house for a dinner. I had knives in the heat threat oven so I missed it. Just fixed myself some supper and it accured to me that I had noodles on the stove while I had knives drawing in the oven. I think I'm losin it! Going crazy as some would say!
2013-05-12174015_zps99ff7389.jpg

Still pluggin along. Missed the mothers day celebrations today. My mom is out of town. My wife went to her moms house for a dinner. I had knives in the heat threat oven so I missed it. Just fixed myself some supper and it accured to me that I had noodles on the stove while I had knives drawing in the oven. I think I'm losin it! Going crazy as some would say!
2013-05-12174015_zps99ff7389.jpg
This starting a small business stuff is hard work, ain't it buddy?

I think you all ready cashed in that ticket, made that trip and bought the t shirt!!!!

Last edited:
Back