Probing Chickens

So, I was gutting a chicken last weekend and noticed that the knife I was using was just not the right tool for the job. Great for slicing but when it came to helping clean out the insides it was too fat and short to really reach in there and give em a good probing.
I familiar with EDC and tactical type knives but never gave a glance to food prep type knives. I could just drive on down to Walmart and pick up a kitchen type knife, but I see this as an opportunity to expand knife collecting into a different arena.
What would be a good quality knife that would work well for the job?
Average to large size chickens.

I've never probed a chicken before. So this is all just a thought experiment for me. Would a fish knife work? What I mean is, long slender blade with a little flexibility to it.

If you need more rigid, how about a six inch utility from a good maker, like this Shun:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000Y7KFY

So, I was gutting a chicken last weekend and noticed that the knife I was using was just not the right tool for the job. Great for slicing but when it came to helping clean out the insides it was too fat and short to really reach in there and give em a good probing.
I familiar with EDC and tactical type knives but never gave a glance to food prep type knives. I could just drive on down to Walmart and pick up a kitchen type knife, but I see this as an opportunity to expand knife collecting into a different arena.
What would be a good quality knife that would work well for the job?
Average to large size chickens.
Bark River Canadian Sportsman would be an excellent choice for this:

http://www.knivesshipfree.com/Bark-....html?osCsid=d12f6482c3b5991a1db452d02a5c91b6

Canadian_Sptsman_Ant_Ivory_S.jpg

Jos

My parents never needed anything more than this for killing/gutting/cleaning a chicken:

molenmesje.jpg

Of course now I'm talking practical and not like a knife nut! But I'm sure there's dozens of similar, but more fancy knives out there! Bark River has wharncliff bladed small fixed blades don't they?

Kind regards,

Jos

Hell, I can clean a whole Whitetail Deer with a buck 110, how big is this chicken???

Hell, I can clean a whole Whitetail Deer with a buck 110, how big is this chicken???

Try cleaning that deer out through his asshole and see if your buck is the right tool...
Some good suggestions though. There's also a 6" Mora that looks like it could fit the bill. I've never gotten a Mora before, but I don't hear anything but good things about them.

Yeah... but you're just cleaning it.

He's probing the chickens. I think there's a big difference there. I think. :eek:

;-)

Stay sharp,
desmobob

Chef's Knife. Paring Knife. Cleaver. Boning Knife. What else could you possibly need to prep a chicken? :confused:

Guyon

Biscuit Whisperer
Super Mod
Try cleaning that deer out through his asshole and see if your buck is the right tool...

I've never seen a deer cleaned through his asshole. Could you please elaborate on this technique?

I've never seen a deer cleaned through his asshole. Could you please elaborate on this technique?

That's the point ;) I'm not splitting the chicken, just going in from the back.
The knife I was using was too short to reach to the front of the chicken to clean off the roof, and by the time I stuck my hand in there to reach it was too unwieldy. I'm sure it's my technique at fault as it's the first time I've cleaned out a chicken but why waste the opportunity to buy more knives?

I always used a Schrade Trapper or an Opinel when bird hunting and never had an issue cleaning ducks or pheasant.

Guyon

Biscuit Whisperer
Super Mod
Great for slicing but when it came to helping clean out the insides it was too fat and short to really reach in there and give em a good probing.

So, if you killed a deer, would you?

a) go in through the asshole
b) "probe" the abdomen with a long sharp knife
c) need a knife at least three feet long to "really reach in there"
d) die from salmonella because you mixed the digestive fluids into the meat
e) all of the above

So, if you killed a deer, would you?

a) go in through the asshole
b) "probe" the abdomen with a long sharp knife
c) need a knife at least three feet long to "really reach in there"
d) die from salmonella because you mixed the digestive fluids into the meat
e) all of the above

So I'm guessing you've never gutted a chicken before?