1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Progress report on BF 2012 knife!

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by waynorth, Sep 4, 2012.

1. waynorth

waynorth Dealer / Materials Provider Dealer / Materials Provider

Nov 19, 2005
    This set of pics will either give you sweet dreams or nightmares, depending on your technical leanings!:D
    Either way, it shows you a small part of the work that goes into your Forum knife, and all GEC knives for that matter.
    It's a wonder these guys can make a buck! (Pun intended):D:D
    The pics start from tool steel blocks, fresh from heat treating, and ends with machined dies that punch out the scales for our new pattern!
    I will leave technical questions to those smarter than me, so, please contribute if you are qualified. I do know the machining is by EDM! And that water flows downhill!:rolleyes:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. confucius37

confucius37

May 18, 2008
    Awesome!! I just got back from vacation and I couldn't think of something better to come back to!

I have one question though, why do they do heat treating before they cut the die, wouldn't it be easier to heat treat it after it has been cut so that it is easier to cut out?

3. chevy_racin

chevy_racin Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 9, 2010
    That is awesome. I always thought it was really interesting how a chunk of steel like those can be turned into something so nice. :thumbup:

4. on_the_edge

on_the_edge Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 31, 2006
    My understanding is that heat treating causes some distortion in the steel. Insofar as the distortion has already occurred prior to being cut with a laser, the end product is much more "consistent" throughout. In other words, the laser eliminates most shape distortion caused by the HT. Also, cutting with a laser creates more stresses on steel than cutting say... by waterjet. Generally speaking, the thinner the steel, the more impacted it will be by laser cutting. I ***think*** that because the steel has been hardened, it is less susceptible to laser processing distortion than its softer "un-heat-treated" counterpart.

BTW, I am NOT an engineer, but I do play one on TV! :D

5. 2Dead

2Dead Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 30, 2009
    Really cool!!

6. brets-ftw

brets-ftw

Sep 11, 2010
    This would be my assumption as well, whenever I cut steel 1/16' or smaller with a plasma cutter it seems to warp a tad if not heat treated prior.

7. protourist

protourist Have you ever caught me lying to you before? Platinum Member

Aug 19, 2007
    Thank you so much for posting this. It is a thread that I have dreamed of.

8. jujigatame

jujigatame

Mar 21, 2005
    Thanks for the pics. Very cool to see the steps.

9. supratentorial

supratentorial

Dec 19, 2006
    Ahhhhh yahhhh! Gettin' close!

Cool photos! :thumbup:

10. Lycosa

Lycosa

Aug 24, 2007
    This is gonna be good.

11. waynorth

Nov 19, 2005
    Well, at least it doesn't sound like you had nightmares!!:)

It also sounds like a few of you understand the process! Let's hear some more info please!!

I am assuming they mount the male piece over the female piece, and "punch through" the scale material.

12. bakerg2g

bakerg2g

Apr 22, 2010
    EDM machine uses a wire with elect. current running through it to make more
    precise cuts. It does better than a laser.. My best friend owns a machine shop and those things are
    expensive.... Makes it easier to make dies and punches. I guess...:confused:

Jason

13. IVANKERLEY

IVANKERLEY

May 30, 2007
    Awesome picts, and not to hijack charlies thread but final art went to sue @GEC sounds like the 2012 is firing on all cylinders :D
    Regards
    Gene

14. Knife Crazied

Knife Crazied

Apr 17, 2009
    Sweet to see pics Charlie. It was a long road this time but it appears to have been worth it. :thumbup:

15. RevDevil

RevDevil Super Evil Supermod Staff Member Super Mod

Nov 9, 2009
    This is full of win in every way.

16. cnas122

cnas122 Platinum Member Platinum Member

Mar 23, 2008
    Deleted because apparently this was taken the wrong way......

Last edited: Sep 5, 2012
  17. waynorth

Nov 19, 2005
    My choice to post this, Campbell for interest in the process - not to bump up orders!

18. Rick

Rick Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 27, 1998
    Thanks for the update, Charlie!

That handle profile looks very nicely proportioned. I'll bet they eventually flip it over and make a killer Swayback Jack out of it.

19. Robert.B

Robert.B

Apr 17, 2003
    Getting really excited about this one! as a machinist seeing this sort of thing makes me grin...making a die that will eventually be used to create some beautiful knives we can all enjoy.

20. Bigfattyt

Bigfattyt Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 23, 2007
    What is so cool about this, is even if you don't get in on the run, GEC will now have the dies to release regular runs in the future.

I was not in a position to order one (much to my sorrow), and hope in the future to get this pattern (perhaps in burnt stag etc).