Progress Thread - The Redmeadow Bowies

The Redmeadow Knives shipping department really came through, with my parcel arriving in perfect condition, a day early. Well done.

Now, I have a box. A nice box, it feels great and fits me perfectly. I'm happy! :thumbsup:

Box.jpg

Did you get your box too, Mack? I hope so, and that you like your box as much as I like mine! ;)

The Redmeadow Knives shipping department really came through, with my parcel arriving in perfect condition, a day early. Well done.

Now, I have a box. A nice box, it feels great and fits me perfectly. I'm happy! :thumbsup:

View attachment 799392

Did you get your box too, Mack? I hope so, and that you like your box as much as I like mine! ;)
I hope so. If I get home tonight I will find out.
My box is uglier than yours of course.

Keep your eyes crossed, and remember, the beauty of a box is in the eye of the beholder, or the holder of the box, or sumpin' o_O

Nice Box ya got there Shel.

Forgot to mention, Paperstone saw the Ivory Bowie on Instagram and after a brief conversation, asked for my address. No idea what they are sending, it could be an assassin. In the case I disappear, tell my kids where to avenge me.

I have a box. It is much like many other boxes but this one is mine. It even has my name on it.

This is weird, I had two boxes the other day, with other people's names on them.
IMG_20171115_171708-1024x731.jpg

8vwXK5t.jpg

I am absolutely blown away. This knife is insane. It's thin, light, fast and fits my hand like it was made from a model of it.
By the way, it's also the sharpest knife I have ever handled.

That is a beauty. I loved the feel of that leather. (I see John was able to get my drool marks off of it. )

The grain in that Blackwood is pretty nice in person isn't it? It was tough to photograph it. Glad your happy with it so far Mack. It really had you written all over it I thought.

I am absolutely blown away. This knife is insane. It's thin, light, fast and fits my hand like it was made from a model of it. By the way, it's also the sharpest knife I have ever handled.
You opened your box? Bastage! (I felt exactly the same way; Christmas came early this year!)

Great, better'n fantastic job, John. Pics to follow...

You opened your box? Bastage! (I felt exactly the same way; Christmas came early this year!)

Great, better'n fantastic job, John. Pics to follow...
Excellent, another happy Boo Wee home so far. That Alternative Ivory is really nice in person I thought. Like the blackwood, it's tough to photograph.

I bought a 3'x3' white nylon pop-up light box on Amazon ten years ago for ~$15 delivered, that has more than paid for itself over the years. Set up on my kitchen island, I get about two hours of natural light in the morning; never used any other lighting. The tiles came as free samples from a local tile store; 2'x2' is the minimum working size.

I8 8.jpg

8vwXK5t.jpg

I am absolutely blown away. This knife is insane. It's thin, light, fast and fits my hand like it was made from a model of it.
By the way, it's also the sharpest knife I have ever handled.

As Always Mack - Superb Taste. You have, at least one, very refined knife eye :cool:.

Ray

I'll be moving on to the Model #1 progress thread from here.

At the end of these progress threads I always ask for feedback and opinions on what you guys want to see different, what you liked, what sucked, more this, less that. I take everything into consideration, hell, that's how this Bowie project got started.

I was glad to see new faces post in this thread, if anyone followed along and has any questions about anything, just ask. I'm easy like Sunday morning, otherwise we'll see you in the next project.

The Model #1's

Last edited:
One last question for this thread. What do you think of the choice of steel for these? I my opinion it is perfect. These blades are ground nice and thin and take an insanely fine edge.
As the maker, what did you see?
Oh yeah, is there anything you want to change for the next ones?
Last but not least, THANK YOU!

The thickness I think was spot on (.177" ), the blade length and height worked out well with the full flat grind at that thickness. I think it gave the right amount of heft without feeling clunky. I like this 52100 and think the thin grind will work out great. I wanted these to be functional instead of feeling like you had a battle axe on your hip. Seven inches seems short for a Bowie, but I don't know that I would ever make one any longer, the way these feel in hand and sit on your hip is pretty nice I thought.

I couldn't agree more.
Now I need to come up with a new challenge...

Back