Protech Malibu

Yo Mama

Gold Member
I snagged one yesterday, bladehq had them go live but didn't send me a text. Good thing I was stalking all the sites because it looks like they were gone quick (satin is still there).

Anyone else have one on the way? Super excited on this one. US made, flipper, no stud, 20cv, button lock.....I was interested on day one!

Good to know these are hitting the street. I am interested in this knife as well, but will probably hold out for the reverse tanto.

Can’t wait to see some pics.

I snagged one yesterday, bladehq had them go live but didn't send me a text. Good thing I was stalking all the sites because it looks like they were gone quick (satin is still there).

Anyone else have one on the way? Super excited on this one. US made, flipper, no stud, 20cv, button lock.....I was interested on day one!
I'd be all over it if it was a tad longer in blade length. Post your thoughts when you get it in please, pics of course!

I'm excited for this one, ProTech said they re-engineered the lock/detent system for the Malibu. Supposedly it'll be snappier than the Cambria and Mordax, and those two already have amazing actions. I'm hoping they have some handle inlay models coming, I'd really love a wood inlay, but CF or white Micarta sound good too.

I've only had it since last Friday, but I'm loving mine so far. Super light weight, great fit and finish, flawless action. Also looking forward to the reverse tanto blades, and the TI/full dress runs.

I've only had it since last Friday, but I'm loving mine so far. Super light weight, great fit and finish, flawless action. Also looking forward to the reverse tanto blades, and the TI/full dress runs.

And where are the pics to hold me over bro?!?!?!

And where are the pics to hold me over bro?!?!?!

QHvkIDZ.jpg
y5kLkea.jpg

jPrKWEA.jpg

zcW6b7T.jpg

KOz6WHd.jpg

AM2grdw.jpg

jauecGa.jpg

Ok, this is beyond a homerun. Such a simple design, but in hand you feel the execution of the design is perfect in so many ways. Ergos are made for the hand, no unnecessary jumping where it should not be, grind lines spot on, solid lockup, and attention to detail in a stellar package. It is smaller than I thought based on pics, but its lightweight and what I'm more gravitating to lately.

Only critique, and its small, Protech always in my experience has tiny spots that are off on the anodizing. This one has 2 micro spots, you would not notice unless you were as anal as I am about taking a magnifying glass to everything (just kidding I don't really do that).

Video of me showing it in action

jPrKWEA.jpg

zcW6b7T.jpg

KOz6WHd.jpg

AM2grdw.jpg

jauecGa.jpg

Ok, this is beyond a homerun. Such a simple design, but in hand you feel the execution of the design is perfect in so many ways. Ergos are made for the hand, no unnecessary jumping where it should not be, grind lines spot on, solid lockup, and attention to detail in a stellar package. It is smaller than I thought based on pics, but its lightweight and what I'm more gravitating to lately.

Only critique, and its small, Protech always in my experience has tiny spots that are off on the anodizing. This one has 2 micro spots, you would not notice unless you were as anal as I am about taking a magnifying glass to everything (just kidding I don't really do that).

Video of me showing it in action
That looks really good! Thanks for the pics.

Can you show and/or describe the spots where the anodizing is off? You didn't mention them in the video and I can't see them in the pics. Also, how would you describe the detent? I look forward to some comparison shots in the next video or maybe you could post some pics here?

I'm not a Pro-tech person ... 1) out of my budget range 2) most are autos ... but that is a good looking knife. I'd prefer G10/micarta over Al handles but I like the "minimalistic" look it has going on. That is obviously not a TOPS knife, it doesn't have 4 lines of writing on the blade.

As soon as I can find one I will pick one up. Never seem to be in stock when I go to looking. Have always wanted to try out a button lock and have decided this will be my first.

That looks really good! Thanks for the pics.

Can you show and/or describe the spots where the anodizing is off? You didn't mention them in the video and I can't see them in the pics. Also, how would you describe the detent? I look forward to some comparison shots in the next video or maybe you could post some pics here?

Protech anodizing has always been rougher to me, like extra fine sandpaper, it grabs any dirt or oil from your hands easily, where as the Microtech anodizing is smooth and glossy.

Here is as good a pic of the specs I normally find a little off on the Protech finishes:

4N26fNj.jpg

E35yO04.jpg

Those specs are not dirt, they are just like grains of sand size where the anodizing didn't stick.

Video of comparison between other blades for size reference

Protech anodizing has always been rougher to me, like extra fine sandpaper, it grabs any dirt or oil from your hands easily, where as the Microtech anodizing is smooth and glossy.

Here is as good a pic of the specs I normally find a little off on the Protech finishes:

4N26fNj.jpg

E35yO04.jpg

Those specs are not dirt, they are just like grains of sand size where the anodizing didn't stick.

Video of comparison between other blades for size reference

Ah, thanks. Interesting on the comparison to the pm2. Might not be too small in blade length like I thought.

Back