Protech Malibu

question for someone that has taken their malibu apart. what size screws are they? i have an all black reverse tanto and i was able to snag an extra pearl button for it. trying to install it but real worried about scratching the screws

question for someone that has taken their malibu apart. what size screws are they? i have an all black reverse tanto and i was able to snag an extra pearl button for it. trying to install it but real worried about scratching the screws

T6 for pivot, pocket clip screws, and the 2 handle screws on top. The two next to the pocket clip 1/16 hex for those.

Last edited:
thank you soo much! why wouldnt they just make them all t6? weird

Actually I just tried it and t6 will work for all of them. Not sure how by the look of the screws next to the clip, but t6 does work on those also.

BTW, for when you do take it apart:

Actually I just tried it and t6 will work for all of them. Not sure how by the look of the screws next to the clip, but t6 does work on those also.

thats literally the 1st thing i looked at was the shabazz video lol but he didnt mention what bits he was using. thanks for all the help guys! also ill get a pic up if i can figure out how. definitely new to this

Haha I've used a torx bit on hex head screws before. Always feel a bit nervous about it though.

Haha I've used a torx bit on hex head screws before. Always feel a bit nervous about it though.

Yea, I think I've done this by accident, I definitely would not recommend it. You're also more likely to damage the screw or mar the coating if you're using the wrong bit.

I have both the wharncliffe and the reverse tanto Malibus in the damascus TI configurations. Had to sell a kidney for them.

I initially thought I'd like the reverse tanto more because it looks tougher but surprisingly the wharncliffe is the one I think I like more. The whole knife itself is smaller than I expected - I almost want to classify it as a small knife but it's just long enough to be. Given its unexpected size it seems to be better suited towards the pointier and smaller footprint of the wharncliffe. Being a needle fits its theme more than being a butcher knife (reverse tanto). Also for some reason the action on the wharncliffe is significantly crispier. Everything from the detent to the bright flipping sound to the overall smoothness and tolerances. The action on the reverse tanto almost makes it feel like a different knife. Really surprised right now.

Edit: just put the Malibu next to my Benchmade 940 and the 940 has a half inch longer handles with the same blade size.

Last edited:
I have both the wharncliffe and the reverse tanto Malibus in the damascus TI configurations. Had to sell a kidney for them.

I initially thought I'd like the reverse tanto more because it looks tougher but surprisingly the wharncliffe is the one I think I like more. The whole knife itself is smaller than I expected - I almost want to classify it as a small knife but it's just long enough to be. Given its unexpected size it seems to be better suited towards the pointier and smaller footprint of the wharncliffe. Being a needle fits its theme more than being a butcher knife (reverse tanto). Also for some reason the action on the wharncliffe is significantly crispier. Everything from the detent to the bright flipping sound to the overall smoothness and tolerances. The action on the reverse tanto almost makes it feel like a different knife. Really surprised right now.

Edit: just put the Malibu next to my Benchmade 940 and the 940 has a half inch longer handles with the same blade size.

I have both as well, but in the standard Aluminum handle versions. I can confirm that the action on the wharncliffe is significantly crisper; and, the action of the tanto feels almost like a different knife.

I have both as well, but in the standard Aluminum handle versions. I can confirm that the action on the wharncliffe is significantly crisper; and, the action of the tanto feels almost like a different knife.

Really interesting thanks for sharing! I guess there is something structurally different about the wharncliffe that gives it better action. Really the two shapes are not THAT geometrically different but the feeling is so stark it just might be the case. Good to know because I almost considered selling my other kidney and buying another reverse tanto just to be sure.

I know man, the blade to handle ratio is unreal vs anything else I've seen!

Interesting, I wonder if the extra blade material on the reverse tanto has that much of an effect on the action.

I agree that the wharncliffe looks way better than the reverse tanto despite the fact that I have the reverse tanto. But that's only because I missed out on all the wharncliffe ones. I'll definitely be getting a wharncliffe one when they're available again. Hopefully GPKnives does another exclusive with the acid washed blades.

Really interesting thanks for sharing! I guess there is something structurally different about the wharncliffe that gives it better action. Really the two shapes are not THAT geometrically different but the feeling is so stark it just might be the case. Good to know because I almost considered selling my other kidney and buying another reverse tanto just to be sure.

Interesting, I wonder if the extra blade material on the reverse tanto has that much of an effect on the action.

I agree that the wharncliffe looks way better than the reverse tanto despite the fact that I have the reverse tanto. But that's only because I missed out on all the wharncliffe ones. I'll definitely be getting a wharncliffe one when they're available again. Hopefully GPKnives does another exclusive with the acid washed blades.

I've posted about this issue before but received no responses. I assume that's because few have purchased both and have been able to compare. "VS_Power" is the first to have reported the same issue.

The difference between the two is subtle that I'm wondering if it's even worth sending in. Tho it's definitely there.

I've installed an aftermarket thumstud to try to offset the front heaviness of the blade. It actually works very well, makes the blade more fidget friendly, and gives the blade a little thumb ramp. Oh I gave the thumstud a satin finish to match the button lock myself.

Still I wonder if some of us have received the reverse tanto with a little sample variation or if it's like that with all the reverse tanto blades.

Once again, a photo of my two:
IcD9DgBh.jpg

Last edited:
I'm going off of memory of a conversation, so I may be wrong. Supposedly ProTech updated their manual detent between making the Cambria and the Mordax, and the Malibu has the same detent geometry as the Mordax.

The detent on my Mordax is not nearly as crisp as my Malibu, or even the Cambria, which leads me to believe blade weight is playing a big factor, and there is definitely more weight on the reverse tanto blade than on the wharncliffe.

Then again, I don't have the wharncliffe blade, and I'm comparing one sample each of three different knives, so it's not much of a comparison.

I've posted about this issue before but received no responses. I assume that's because few have purchased both and have been able to compare. "VS_Power" is the first to have reported the same issue.

The difference between the two is subtle that I'm wondering if it's even worth sending in. Tho it's definitely there.

I've installed an aftermarket thumstud to try to offset the front heaviness of the blade. It actually works very well, makes the blade more fidget friendly, and gives the blade a little thumb ramp. Oh I gave the thumstud a satin finish to match the button lock myself.

Still I wonder if some of us have received the reverse tanto with a little sample variation or if it's like that with all the reverse tanto blades.

Very interesting. Your experiment confirms to me that subtle weighting differences have a large effect on the Malibu's action. Thank you for sharing.

A few more data points - I have somewhat obsessed over this and searched Instagram for others who own both, then reached out for their conclusions. I've received two responses so far and both say the action feels different on each blade shape. Here are the links but mods feel free to remove if this is not allowed:
https://www.instagram.com/p/CDzl8ZIpynj/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link
https://www.instagram.com/p/CEBzBGxHnOf/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Very interesting. Your experiment confirms to me that subtle weighting differences have a large effect on the Malibu's action. Thank you for sharing.

A few more data points - I have somewhat obsessed over this and searched Instagram for others who own both, then reached out for their conclusions. I've received two responses so far and both say the action feels different on each blade shape. Here are the links but mods feel free to remove if this is not allowed:
https://www.instagram.com/p/CDzl8ZIpynj/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link
https://www.instagram.com/p/CEBzBGxHnOf/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Ahhh, thank you. Your input and the two Instagram posts confirms it for me too.

I'll live with my reverse tanto, it isn't all that bad anyway.

For the record I've sent out a few queries to both Protech and Nick Shabazz (I know he has tried both) and will update with their responses.

It has been really therapeutic for me to hear back from y'all in this thread so far ;) Thank you!

At this point I doubt it'll change which knife(s) I keep and enjoy but just doing it for science and maybe for future buyers who are curious.

Update: I bought a second blue ti damascus reverse tanto Malibu and returned the original. Also, Protech support contacted me.

First of all, the action still feels a bit mushier on the new reverse tanto. I'm totally convinced now the action will just always feel different from the wharncliffe due to blade shape and weight. It's still a top tier action FYI.

Next, the detent this time on the reverse tanto is much better. I cannot fail a flip no matter how hard I try. It's still not an ultra strong detent that makes the blade fly open, but it's right there in the middle. Not bad.

Finally the fit and finish this time is absolutely perfect on the reverse tanto. So of the three ~$800 knives I've bought from Protech, two were absolutely perfect, and one with some slight detent / centering issues. Normally I wouldn't bother worrying about these things but since these were $800 I am being picky.

Protech support actually mentioned that there is more variation in detent/action on the damascus blades since the micro layers of the blade are just big enough to alter the detent. You can feel the layers with your fingertips so this makes sense to me. Protech also sent me an essay basically on how heat treatments on the titanium scale, carbidizing, and moving the knife through various extreme weather environments during shipping could cause the knife to go slightly off center even if it's perfectly centered coming out of Protech.

They generously offered to do a full tune-up + centering of the knife free of charge with no shipping costs both ways.

This was my first experience overall with Protech knives and their customer support and I gotta say they've won over a big fan here. Looking forward to seeing more non-auto knives from these folks since I'm stuck in California!

jOJXPcTntcjvN39EUnKID3DwTZYw2jRkpxcsIeFiF6fyGAGY9WZqWdNxL77UfSRkfbv4rYu0pmcLUOtgv8m9uUh2jpQXXW4WRh2Az4lyjtD9Cuqpci5zITzeA9SzxcZw_tddb87T96A

Update: I bought a second blue ti damascus reverse tanto Malibu and returned the original. Also, Protech support contacted me.

First of all, the action still feels a bit mushier on the new reverse tanto. I'm totally convinced now the action will just always feel different from the wharncliffe due to blade shape and weight. It's still a top tier action FYI.

Next, the detent this time on the reverse tanto is much better. I cannot fail a flip no matter how hard I try. It's still not an ultra strong detent that makes the blade fly open, but it's right there in the middle. Not bad.

Finally the fit and finish this time is absolutely perfect on the reverse tanto. So of the three ~$800 knives I've bought from Protech, two were absolutely perfect, and one with some slight detent / centering issues. Normally I wouldn't bother worrying about these things but since these were $800 I am being picky.

Protech support actually mentioned that there is more variation in detent/action on the damascus blades since the micro layers of the blade are just big enough to alter the detent. You can feel the layers with your fingertips so this makes sense to me. Protech also sent me an essay basically on how heat treatments on the titanium scale, carbidizing, and moving the knife through various extreme weather environments during shipping could cause the knife to go slightly off center even if it's perfectly centered coming out of Protech.

They generously offered to do a full tune-up + centering of the knife free of charge with no shipping costs both ways.

This was my first experience overall with Protech knives and their customer support and I gotta say they've won over a big fan here. Looking forward to seeing more non-auto knives from these folks since I'm stuck in California!

jOJXPcTntcjvN39EUnKID3DwTZYw2jRkpxcsIeFiF6fyGAGY9WZqWdNxL77UfSRkfbv4rYu0pmcLUOtgv8m9uUh2jpQXXW4WRh2Az4lyjtD9Cuqpci5zITzeA9SzxcZw_tddb87T96A

Jealous here man!!!

Back