The Puukko

And how many of those might have open books and/or a way to contact them?
There's the rub :(

And how many of those might have open books and/or a way to contact them?
There's the rub :(
From what I know all but Vilppola and Haverinen have open books. I'm not actually sure if Vilpoola has forged anything since his moving a few years back, since he had to completely abandon the smithy he was working at. Haverinen works in a common smithy with a couple of other forgers but I was never able to find his contat informations.

All the others have their own website, just google the names. I think Tuominen is the one with the longest waiting list: a while back it was one year and a half.

06YHZaCh.jpg

My recent project was attaching handles to these 2 blades.

The top one is Red Coral and ebony on a blade by @BogdanS and the bottom is stacked birch bark on a blade by Ethan Goss of Sugar Shack Forge.

• 3-3/4" blade with the 4 1/8" red coral • 3-1/4" blade with the 3-3/4" of stacked birch bark.

They are both finished with 2 coats of TruOil which is why the high sheen. Shine not withstanding, these handles are not slippery at all and very comfortable in hand.

View attachment 1510990

The birch bark handle has an oval to round profile from the butt to the bolster. Very fine feel.

View attachment 1510991

How did you keep the birch bark layers compressed without a mechanical attachment? All the birch bark puukkos I've seen have the end of the tang peened over a metal buttcap.

Two wonderful puukko. Nice work. I esp like the blade shape of a birch bark one. Would be pleased to carry either one.
Rich

How did you keep the birch bark layers compressed without a mechanical attachment? All the birch bark puukkos I've seen have the end of the tang peened over a metal buttcap.

I had intended this to be the classic baked and fused by a stay in the oven between my clamp blocks but when the stack came out of the oven many of the pieces fell apart. :confused: I had cleaned and squared up the bark pieces early last summer. They have been stored in a paper bag since then. After they fell apart I woke up to the realization that the squares were simply too dry. I ended up brushing a thin layer of epoxy between each layer and reclamped. I had always intended to epoxy the last 3 or 4 squares to the stack so no butt cap. The tang is about 3/8" of an inch in. The top 4 layers are simply flat glued - no holes. It is a very solid assembly. My woodworking experience gives me complete confidence that the only way this is coming apart is with a saw or hammer. No battoning allowed ;) Very nice little hand full of carver and other EDC use though.

Two wonderful puukko. Nice work. I esp like the blade shape of a birch bark one. Would be pleased to carry either one.
Rich

Thanks. I am very happy with these too. I'm glad that my work didn't compromise the quality of the blades. I was completely prepared to grind off my work and start over if needed. :)

This one will be here next Tuesday, Jelio's pictures. Great guy to work with on a custom build. He had no problem adjusting to my specs. 121mm handle with a 90mm circumference, that will fit my hand just right, 95mm blade of CPM 4V.
NjMU3U1.jpg
Rf60WpC.jpg
k10PpMp.jpg

Nice work Ray:thumbsup:
Here are a couple of blade profile photos. They are very fine and slicey blades.

The GOSS blade with Birch bark ~
• Blade length: 3.25" • Tang length: 3" • Spine thickness: 1/8" • Steel: 1080hc

View attachment 1511100

The @BogdanS blade with the red coral handle ~
• 078" thick • 3.75" long • 1" wide (in the widest part) • 1095 carbon steel. • scandi zero grind and a fake back edge.

View attachment 1511099

I like the matte finish too, makes me want to use it, won't show scratches as bad as polished finish. Post pics if you buff em.
Thanks Ray
I like the matte finish on your beautiful Jelio Puukko Rob. I think I will buff mine to dull it down a bit. :thumbsup:

Back