Quail Hunting

Thanks JB & BRK. How old is your dog, (German Shorthair)?
The screw frame 110 does a good job of processing quail. Just snip the wings, neck and feet off. Most knives can do that. But raking loose the internals then out the vent is where the clip point excels. DM

Thanks Ant & Molokai. Andy is only 2 and on his way to become a good bird dog. The last week here has been in the teens, with a 15 mph north wind. Neither
one of us wanted to be out hunting. This morning it was 21*, clear skis and no wind. Both of us wanted to get out and enjoy a day afield. I don't talk much to my
dog. He looks for my hand signals and goes to it. All business. He's over joyed! Gambel don't hold so, one must be ready at a flush. DM

She’s 4. Yes a GSP. Unfortunately she has Addison’s disease and therefore I can’t hunt her.

BRK, that's too bad. But you can give her hormone shots.
Thanks sporting.
I will try to get back out and let Andy work. I'll say my other dog, in this picture is a good pointer. But not a strong retriever. She had a papered Portuguese Pointer
mother and a Rottweiler father. Still, she likes to hunt and is a motivation for Andy to find the bird before her. The two play their dominate games the whole time. DM
Cuttingoak.jpg

Great to get out with a good dog on a hunt,in Nova Scotia we don't have quail,we have ring necked pheasants to hunt,I have a little river duck dog(toller), she loves the pheasants and can flush them almost as good as she can toll ducks in and retrieve!thanks for sharing!

We are on our 3rd Shorthair,1st one was female,next 2 were males...Excellent dogs!
They are close hunters,very intelligent,big time characters & eager to please.:thumbsup:
I was going to buy a Lab years ago & a guy I worked with told me about his shorthairs...Glad I listened!

Yes she currently gets a shot every month. Quite the expensive shot to boot. She is worth it though. Awesome dog who has now become a great house/lap dog. She still averages one to two squirrels and/or rabbits a week on her own in the back yard.

Nice dogs and knife David. Great game pics. Hey what kind of saw do you use, I'm in the market for a new one. My poor old Craftsman 18" has seen better days. That fuel looks very familiar.

Hunter, Razor, Zak and BuckShack, thank you for your kind post.
BuckShack, my chainsaw is a Husqvarna model 455 Rancher. A good duty saw and heavy but I cut 3 or more cords of oak a year. Which is dirty
wood but really keeps our house warm. I've not had any trouble with it in 12 years. I merely change the fuel filter, air filter and spark plug at least once a year and disassemble the sprocket & grease the bearings. I run non-ethanol, Tru-fuel in it and leave it in year round and it starts right up. Mine doesn't sit much as I'm always clearing fence rows or cutting up limbs that fall down on our (and neighbors) roads. We get winds
and snow storms that break some large limbs that fall on our dirt road. I suppose a good duty Stihl would work as well. I sharpen all my chains
and replace links as needed. Then I split all our wood by hand with ax and wedges. I enjoy the exercise. Good luck on your purchase. DM

BRK, I'll tell you a story about my German Shorthaired, if the mods will allow me some leeway. My shop is a cargo container which I dug footings, poured concrete and sat it on this foundation. When I'm working inside it I have no cell phone service as the walls and roof are metal.
So, I leave my cell phone on the porch out front, thus I'll hear it ring and can catch the call. Andy has watched me using that phone and he knows it is mine. So, when he sees it on the porch he'll pick it up and bring it to me in the shop. I had to hang some netting in the tree near
the front, high enough so he cannot get it and bring it to me inside the shop. :) DM

Back