Queen Cutlery Company Closes

A bankruptcy trustee for Daniels Family Cutlery Corporation (also known as "Queen") has now been appointed in this case, and anyone with a knife at Queen for repair should contact the trustee in writing ASAP and request their knife back. Do not object to paying return postage if they ask since the company is bankrupt.

I called the trustee more than a week ago and asked him to call me back to discuss how I could assist him and the company in smoothly returning customer property, publicizing a simple method on various forums, etc. but the trustee has not returned my call so I want to share this info with all of you so you can take action for yourself.

The bankruptcy trustee's info is:

John C. Melaragno, Trustee
502 West 7th Street.
Erie, PA 16502
eight one four-four five 9-5557
eight 1 four-4 five nine-6778 (fax)

j o h n m @ m p legal .com (delete all spaces)

The Federal Bankruptcy case is:

Daniels Family Cutlery Corporation
U.S. Bankruptcy Court
WESTERN DISTRICT OF PENNSYLVANIA (Erie)
Bankruptcy Petition #: 18-10250-TPA

In order to have best chance of getting your property back I suggest sending the trustee a very short and very polite email or letter stating:

Case name and number, your full name, full address, email, phone number, a request for the return of your personal property, a short description of the property (for example - "Queen sodbuster, brown jig bone handles", and any other info such as a serial number or whatever you have), and when you sent the knife to Queen/Daniels.

Don't forget that the claims deadline is May 30, 2018 and if you don't have your property back well before then, it would be wise to file a proper claim before the deadline.

Good luck to all.

Charlie, I believe I have read that the Queen Cutlery has been running, in one form or another, since 1850. One of the oldest continuous enterprises in America. Very sad, indeed.
I think it was later than that, Jeff. Schatt & Morgan started in the 1890s, and Queen City ca. 1920.

That building was finished around 1902 if memory serves. Schatt & Morgan were the first occupants. They moved there from Gowanda, NY. Knives were made there ever since, interrupted by a previous bankruptcy in the late 1920s.
Queen City bought it from bankruptcy ca. 1933 eventually changing their name To Queen Cutlery.

Charlie, thanks for the correction! Still a very long and illustrious history, and a shame it's come to an end.

A bankruptcy trustee for Daniels Family Cutlery Corporation (also known as "Queen") has now been appointed in this case, and anyone with a knife at Queen for repair should contact the trustee in writing ASAP and request their knife back. Do not object to paying return postage if they ask since the company is bankrupt.

I called the trustee more than a week ago and asked him to call me back to discuss how I could assist him and the company in smoothly returning customer property, publicizing a simple method on various forums, etc. but the trustee has not returned my call so I want to share this info with all of you so you can take action for yourself.

The bankruptcy trustee's info is:

John C. Melaragno, Trustee
502 West 7th Street.
Erie, PA 16502
eight one four-four five 9-5557
eight 1 four-4 five nine-6778 (fax)

j o h n m @ m p legal .com (delete all spaces)

The Federal Bankruptcy case is:

Daniels Family Cutlery Corporation
U.S. Bankruptcy Court
WESTERN DISTRICT OF PENNSYLVANIA (Erie)
Bankruptcy Petition #: 18-10250-TPA

In order to have best chance of getting your property back I suggest sending the trustee a very short and very polite email or letter stating:

Case name and number, your full name, full address, email, phone number, a request for the return of your personal property, a short description of the property (for example - "Queen sodbuster, brown jig bone handles", and any other info such as a serial number or whatever you have), and when you sent the knife to Queen/Daniels.

Don't forget that the claims deadline is May 30, 2018 and if you don't have your property back well before then, it would be wise to file a proper claim before the deadline.

Good luck to all.
Thank you, I sent an email.

I bought a S&M stag whittler penknife (new in it's original box at a gunshow last week.The bolster on one side rides higher on one side & the stag slab is a little high on one side! Even with the faults I like the knife!However,no more S&M or Queen for me.I have one GEC from BLADE....it's flawless!
Jim

Almost every Queen or S&M knife I have purchased has been pretty much perfect. On occasion, the blades are pretty dull which can be fixed. I hope they rise again after the bankruptcy. We'll see.

A couple of favourites that never close...:cool:

fpR44fz.jpg

TucsonMik TucsonMik Thanks indeed! It is thin, and diamond stone sharpening has made it a tremendous slicer that now only needs a stropping :cool: D2 does patina, this has cut oranges,lemons&limes and is quite grey now-does not impart flavour to fruits like carbon does. These Amber Carved Stag Bone knives from the early years of this century are really worth getting hold of, plenty of patterns to choose from too.:thumbsup:

Regards, Will

I have been unplugged for a little while and only just heard this news. I have a bunch of their knives and always thought they'd always be there.

Blade is pretty peppered up, what was it used to cut during that week?

I looked inside the well when I got it and was happy that the shield seemed penned. It was a forum knife , does anyone know if penned shields were part of that order?
The blade condition was barbecue sauce left on little too long.
I thought only Case knives shed their shields!!??
Ah well - Super Glue was invented for such things I guess!

Did it have a pin that sheared off???:eek:
t

Txjohn Txjohn Aaarghh!:eek: Is that the 08 Forum Knife? If so, I'm not actually sure Queen made it as it was a Northwood's knife before KSF took it over. But, somebody here will know if it was made for Northwoods by Queen or not. It was based on their No.26 Stockman frame.

Regards, Will

Txjohn Txjohn Aaarghh!:eek: Is that the 08 Forum Knife? If so, I'm not actually sure Queen made it as it was a Northwood's knife before KSF took it over. But, somebody here will know if it was made for Northwoods by Queen or not. It was based on their No.26 Stockman frame.

Regards, Will
I don't know if it's a Queen ,I thought northwoods were either Queen or GEC. Northwoods used other Cutlery firms ?

Back