Question about scales

PSA for the newer folks around here:

I thought that I'd add my observations and findings about the CPK Choppers scales in this post here as I see quite a few Choppers coming up for sale with extra handle scale materials:

The production BC, the production HDMC and the production MC variants of the Choppers, all are interchangeable. Further, these scales also fit the proto-MC but the holes in the tang and the cuttings in the scales for the lanyard are not 100%. The scales do not protrude or anything and to an untrained set of eyes, they will be the same but if you are anal like me, you will see the very small percentile differences which will not impede you from attaching a butt end lanyard! There will be no issue with the front lanyard holes.

I have not experimented with the proto-BC but I highly suspect the same with the proto-MC as I have explained above but I will not guarantee this 100%. None of these will fit your LC so if looking for AECM for an LC, you're SOL!

Case in point: since so many Choppers are coming up for sale with AECM scales, you can play dress up if you'd like with your other Choppers with the exception of the LC.

ETA: Also a fit for the Behemother just in case you didn't already know!

Currently all mine are black canvas micarta, and I have 2 extra sets of chopper scales...one is TeroTuf and the other is AECM. Would love to have a set of AECM for all of them, but doubt that will happen:oops:

Not True, it is as simple as dropping NinJo an e-mail and asking:thumbsup:

jocarothers (at) gmail (dot) com

Yeah thought of that after I posted. Could probably get another chopper set and maybe a DEF set that way, but the HDFK will be more of a challenge. Regardless, went a bit too crazy this year, so once my Behemother arrives I need to cool it for a while.

I have not experimented with the proto-BC but I highly suspect the same with the proto-MC as I have explained above but I will not guarantee this 100%.
Proto BC handle profile is slightly different, the production scales are proud in the belly of the handle and the butt...the tang is JUST SLIGHTLY proud where your the heel of your palm rests on the spine.

Daverous Daverous

I didn't want to clog up the ANAQ any more for today, so here are some links to that past with some historical contexts. Some of these were apparently moved around behind the scenes after they were scored by the individuals who are showing as winners back when (almost 3 years to the very same time of the month!) :eek:

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/fancy-scales-sale-1-vintage-micarta-sold.1438363/

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/fancy-scales-sale-2-wood-opens-friday-at-3-00-est.1440276/

^ note:

In the first link the #1 EDC is flat-cut and not edge-cut. Looks quite interesting when buffed. There are more EDC1s with AECM than those but most were "aftermarket" where owners swapped AECM handle scales from EDC2 pattern which were slightly thinner than those above. The net affect would've been about the same because EDC2 had a slightly thicker stock as opposed to EDC1's.

Thanks for the leg work sir. I'm interested in what Nathan has to say about the limited number produced. I'm guessing the liner and possibility of breakage during manufacturing limited initial quantities. Or maybe it was as simple as it being a new material that wasn't fully embraced yet?

Thanks for the leg work sir. I'm interested in what Nathan has to say about the limited number produced. I'm guessing the liner and possibility of breakage during manufacturing limited initial quantities. Or maybe it was as simple as it being a new material that wasn't fully embraced yet?

I wouldn't hold my breath for a response. Nathan is hard to get <<< this plus his infamous A.D.D :p

Last edited:
Back