Question about the Griptilians and QC

Fred Sanford

Gold Member
Hey folks,

I've owned many Benchmade Griptilians. However that was 4 or 5 years back. They were awesome well built monsters. Loved 'em.

My question is this: Are they still the same?

I ask because I've seen a few threads on how some BM knives are coming dull these days (like they used to back in say 2003/2004. Seems like 2006/2007 they started getting things right and then I started hearing that they were starting to come "dull" again. I've also heard that people had problems with omega springs. I have a good friend that has had a Cabelas Mini-Grip in D2 and he's had it for 10+ years and used it HARD. He still has no rust, and no springs have ever been broken. He works for the Water Dept. in my local city and it's been soaked wet, brought home and cleaned the next day. It's been in mud etc.

So I guess my real question is can you still buy a good old Griptilian and still have a quality piece? Do they still come sharp and reliable? Gots to get me another one if I can.

Thanks!

I don't hear much bad about them. In fact just the opposite and the guys that have the Ritter Survival knife model seem to really like that one too.

STR

I think the one that I got in a trade was of good quality. The blade was perfectly centered, the thumb hole was clean (no sharp edges, no laser burnt crap inside), and the plastic handle seemed well-finished. I can't speak for the sharpness since the original owner used it once or twice.

But over all, I think the quality was much better compared to Spyderco's Seki models, for example.

Thanks for the info folks! It is all appreciated. Gonna pick up a 550 HG. Love that blade shape.

Plus....I'm jonesin' big time for an Axis lock again.

It is a fine knife, David. I hope you enjoy it as much as I enjoy mine.

i bought a mini from ag russell a couple of months ago, excellent QC.

my full sized m4 grips from aeromedix were less so.

The Mini's I own were the only Benchmades that were really sharp out of the box. I guess the hit or miss is on the other models.

Hey folks,

I've owned many Benchmade Griptilians. However that was 4 or 5 years back. They were awesome well built monsters. Loved 'em.

My question is this: Are they still the same?

I ask because I've seen a few threads on how some BM knives are coming dull these days (like they used to back in say 2003/2004. Seems like 2006/2007 they started getting things right and then I started hearing that they were starting to come "dull" again. I've also heard that people had problems with omega springs. I have a good friend that has had a Cabelas Mini-Grip in D2 and he's had it for 10+ years and used it HARD. He still has no rust, and no springs have ever been broken. He works for the Water Dept. in my local city and it's been soaked wet, brought home and cleaned the next day. It's been in mud etc.

So I guess my real question is can you still buy a good old Griptilian and still have a quality piece? Do they still come sharp and reliable? Gots to get me another one if I can.

Thanks!

Heres my take on my Mini Grip 556: Overall it's an amazingly built knife. The axis lock is solid and easy to use, and allows for quick one handed deployment. The ergos are great and the blade steel is great too. Only real complaint I have is that my blade shipped VERY dull, brand new. Since I'm new to knives and currently have no sharpening system, this pissed me off. I emailed them about it and they wouldn't sharpen it without me shipping it to them and paying return shipping. Bogus, thats the last Benchmade I'll ever buy.

Heres my take on my Mini Grip 556: Overall it's an amazingly built knife. The axis lock is solid and easy to use, and allows for quick one handed deployment. The ergos are great and the blade steel is great too. Only real complaint I have is that my blade shipped VERY dull, brand new. Since I'm new to knives and currently have no sharpening system, this pissed me off. I emailed them about it and they wouldn't sharpen it without me shipping it to them and paying return shipping. Bogus, thats the last Benchmade I'll ever buy.

Good luck finding a company that doesn't charge for sharpening or shipping the knife back to you. Almost all companies sharpen their knives by hand so some are going to slip through that aren't as sharp as everyone would like. But refusing to by an entire brand because a knife wasn't as sharp as you want is a little crazy. If you keep buying knives you will eventually not have any brands to buy because you will eventually get a dull one and have to write another company off until there are none left. Knives get dull so unless you plan on spending a lot of money sending knives back to the company (even just one way) and don't mind not having them for weeks at a time, you will want to learn how to sharpen them.

If companies build in the cost of sending every knife they get back to sharpen back to the owner, then the initial cost will go up. I will take the lower price myself.

Did you expect them to send someone to your house?

Good luck finding a company that doesn't charge for sharpening or shipping the knife back to you. Almost all companies sharpen their knives by hand so some are going to slip through that aren't as sharp as everyone would like. But refusing to by an entire brand because a knife wasn't as sharp as you want is a little crazy. If you keep buying knives you will eventually not have any brands to buy because you will eventually get a dull one and have to write another company off until there are none left. Knives get dull so unless you plan on spending a lot of money sending knives back to the company (even just one way) and don't mind not having them for weeks at a time, you will want to learn how to sharpen them.

If companies build in the cost of sending every knife they get back to sharpen back to the owner, then the initial cost will go up. I will take the lower price myself.

Except i've NEVER gotten a new blade that wasn't hair popping sharp from Spyderco :rolleyes:

Did you expect them to send someone to your house?

I expected a brand new $67 knife from them to be razor sharp, like my $31 Rat-1 and Tenacious. After they failed at that, I figured they might pay for shipping and sharpening. For example, I once had a problem with a supplement company I bought from. I let them know the problem, and they payed $45 overnight shipping so I could send them it back, then sent me a replacement just as fast. Now THATS customer service.

Looks like you've already decided to go ahead with the purchase, but I'll go ahead and add another voice to the chorus in favor of it. The Griptilian I got about two months ago was very well built and, as a bonus, was one of the sharpest knives I've received out of the box.

Yes the griptilians are great knives. I infact have WAY to many of them in all different flavors. Right now my favorite is a mini ritter with wilkins scales.

my 710 came from the factory pretty dull and with a rounded tip

I spent about 10 minutes on the sharpmaker, and it's super sharp

that was easy.

Thanks for the info folks! It is all appreciated. Gonna pick up a 550 HG. Love that blade shape.

Plus....I'm jonesin' big time for an Axis lock again.

Preachin to the choir.

I recently gave my Grip to my youngest brother, I don't give non-quality gifts.

I never really pay attention to factory sharp because after a week, maybe two it's time to sharpen. It's a great utility knife and Ankersons recent thread will give you a pretty fair idea of how good the quality is.

Except i've NEVER gotten a new blade that wasn't hair popping sharp from Spyderco :rolleyes:

I have. A carbon fiber S90V Military of all things and let me tell you, it was a mother to get shaving sharp without diamond hones. All is well however and it resides in my pocket as I type this. Even the best of companies miss one now and again.

Back