Question from Dr.Bill= A,B OR C???

I would spend more on the smaller knife as it would get more use. The larger one for me would be a backup.

sub $5 folding saw and $295 for a small knife. :D

i don't have much to saw or chop around here.

B.

I seem to spend less on choppers than on smaller knives. Smaller knives get more constant use.

Including P+P this is about £57 (about the same as a GB Small Forest Axe)
IMGP0933.jpg

KA-BAR Cutlass

Including P+P this is about £90
IMGP0802.jpg

Kellam Wolverine

007-1.jpg

How about a Norlunds hatchet that you can find used and restore the edge like i did this one and a Bark River woodcraft knife like an Aurora or a Kephart.

Well under $300.00 and it works.

007-1.jpg

How about a Norlunds hatchet that you can find used and restore the edge like i did this one and a Bark River woodcraft knife like an Aurora or a Kephart.

Looks like it would work great:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

The purpose of the question was to see what value each of us places on both a large and small blade

Which one is worth spending more $ on in your opinion

Some of us would spend $280 on the chopper and the rest on a Mora

Others $240-80 on a custon fixed blade and $20-40 on a Cold steel Machete,Condor,etc

Both are correct for the person making the choices

I'd probably split the cost between the two 50/50. I'd want the best of each that I could afford. ESEE Lite Machete and ESEE 3 would make a good combo.

Option E.

18" sawvivor $40
Brian Andrews The Bushcrafter $225 (w/firesteel and sheath)
Corona Machete $20

What did I win?

Same kind of deal with hatchets. I now use a very simple Faithful when it is cold. I figure if the head is made from good stuff and has a good heat treatment provided it does not involve adding material I can make that head any shape I want. This shape works great for me at any price. The only way I'd throw money at at these is if they could carry themselves.

mnschnuy6nj31za9lf.jpg

For a TWO knife combo, by far my best experience has been

a 100 dollar HEST and a
20 dollar Condor Bolo.

The HEST takes the best of small beaters and small slicers and puts them in the same tiny package while offering a very comfy grip for extensive use. The Condor Bolo, while not being the most compact, lightweight or highest performance chopper I have, is more multitask oriented than say a golok or a khukri. You can dig and drawknife with it with no problems. Neither are very beautiful anymore, both have earned their keep in miles alone.

DSCN3973.jpg

Overall, since my HI Binge, I think i'm pretty much even on my money distribution between inexpensive big blades and inexpensive small ones, and expensive big blades and expensive small ones (100+ range)

For a TWO knife combo, by far my best experience has been

a 100 dollar HEST and a
20 dollar Condor Bolo.

The HEST takes the best of small beaters and small slicers and puts them in the same tiny package while offering a very comfy grip for extensive use. The Condor Bolo, while not being the most compact, lightweight or highest performance chopper I have, is more multitask oriented than say a golok or a khukri. You can dig and drawknife with it with no problems. Neither are very beautiful anymore, both have earned their keep in miles alone.

DSCN3973.jpg

Overall, since my HI Binge, I think i'm pretty much even on my money distribution between inexpensive big blades and inexpensive small ones, and expensive big blades and expensive small ones (100+ range)

Excellent well thought out reply!!!!!:thumbup::thumbup:

I guess my point was the bushcrafter sized knife is where I put my money. My big chopper is a hatchet. Now, as all through history, axes and hatchets are cheaper and easier to make than good quality knives and swords.

Put your money in the best 4 to 5 inch bushcraft style knife you can buy and then get whatever chopper trips your trigger. Some brands hold an edge better than others. My point was some vintage hatchets will out chop a $500.00+ knife made of some unobtanium steel and can be had for a song.

May take a little work to bring it up to par.:)

007-1.jpg

may i ask where you got the Barkie Kephart with the simple scales?

all i've seen recently are the expensive versions with fancy scales on KSF, searching gor them only leads me to stuff that's already sold, or out of stock, etc.

Another vote for "option D". Of the ones I have been using most lately I would pick my Wetterling Carpenter's Axe and My Gossman Nessmuk. I'm not sure you could get both for less than $300 now but I bought the Wetterling several years ago for $40 and I've got less than $200 in the Gossman.
5002514584_82290412d8_z.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

Last edited:
I guess my point was the bushcrafter sized knife is where I put my money. My big chopper is a hatchet. Now, as all through history, axes and hatchets are cheaper and easier to make than good quality knives and swords.

Put your money in the best 4 to 5 inch bushcraft style knife you can buy and then get whatever chopper trips your trigger. Some brands hold an edge better than others. My point was some vintage hatchets will out chop a $500.00+ knife made of some unobtanium steel and can be had for a song.

May take a little work to bring it up to par.:)

I agree with ya--110%:thumbup::thumbup:

may i ask where you got the Barkie Kephart with the simple scales?

all i've seen recently are the expensive versions with fancy scales on KSF, searching gor them only leads me to stuff that's already sold, or out of stock

being somewhat limited editions the Bark Rivers often sell out in a short time. The only ones left usually have either very expensive or ugly handle materials.

Keep in mind that Bark River knives are often sold in as good as new condition on this forum and on the "other" knife forum in the specific Bark River for sale section. There were two full tang Kepharts for sale over there last month. I missed one in burl wood and hesitated for one day on a antique ivory Micarta one and missed it as well.

We are all hoping for another run of full tang Kepharts in the future if we can talk Mike into it. In the end it is the requests of the dealers that sway him so e-mail them about your needs.

When the run comes off jump on one even if you have to finance the purchase. That's how I got my osage orange full tang Kephart.

I should have it paid for by 2020.

LOL

Back