Question from Dr.Bill= A,B OR C???

Option "D"??

Man--you white people are always messing things up

Geez!!!

Ok--Option "D" too

:)

I didnt know you had a sense of humor Dr.:p
I would go by option C, I like a good chopper, and my MORA 510 is a bad ass cheap knife.
Although lately, I have been looking into the option of carrying one knife only...around 7 inches. I used to like this option, and then moved away from it, now...I would like to make it work. I dont know that Its always gonna be an option, but I did just buy this one.

FOX parang..7 inch blade, 1/4inch spine..light and sharp..chops really well for a small knife.
picture.php

It went through this 1" branch with a flick of my wrist..very deep chopping power for the weight.
After chopping several times on a hike today..it was still razor sharp.
picture.php

Sorry for the hijack Bill.

I didnt know you had a sense of humor Dr.:p
I would go by option C, I like a good chopper, and my MORA 510 is a bad ass cheap knife.
Although lately, I have been looking into the option of carrying one knife only...around 7 inches. I used to like this option, and then moved away from it, now...I would like to make it work. I dont know that Its always gonna be an option, but I did just buy this one.

FOX parang..7 inch blade, 1/4inch spine..light and sharp..chops really well for a small knife.
picture.php

It went through this 1" branch with a flick of my wrist..very deep chopping power for the weight.
After chopping several times on a hike today..it was still razor sharp.
picture.php

Sorry for the hijack Bill.

Nothing be be sorry about my friend Gene:D

I like that Fox

Sweet design~~~

Interesting question William! I still need to get some down time and either take some new pictures or track down my old ones to get loaded up!

1. If I was around hardwoods in the fall/winter where temperatures were a little cooler, I would most likely invest in a good axe, such as GB’s Small Forest Axe, and HI Khukuri or quality/heavy duty chopper. With the left over funds, you could still get a decent field/bushcraft/camp knife such as Fallkniven, Bark River or RAT.

With a quality chopper, I think you could afford a less-expensive smaller knife such as a Mora. Although, Dan Koster brings up a good point about spending more money on the one that will be used the most…I think this needs to be balanced with terrain and location.

2. If I was in the SE or any type of jungle environment, I would be quite comfortable with a good, inexpensive machete and a more quality small fixed blade knife. A good machete like Ontario, Tramontina or Condor coupled with a good fixed blade like a Fallkniven F1 or my Martin BT in S30V.

3. If I was in highland vegetation where there were a lot of small saplings/trees, hardwood vines, bamboo, etc., I would really consider a quality large chopper such as my Siegle Hoodlum II or maybe a Khukuri; still a small Mora would complement quite well.

The season really impacts your choices. Outside of summer, the extremes of the other seasons would really require efficient and quick shelter building; a quality chopper is a must. Late spring through early fall, I could most likely get by with a quality bushcraft type knife such as the Skookum Bush Tool, Bravo-1, Martin Knives BT, Fiddleback, Koster or Brian Andrews would all be solid performers. The quality small blades would let you do some more rugged tasks and most likely hold their edge longer.

I guess if I was working with hard woods, I would much rather have a more quality chopper that I could rely on as the smaller tasks wouldn’t be as hard on the smaller blade.

Good discussions!
ROCK6

Interesting question William! I still need to get some down time and either take some new pictures or track down my old ones to get loaded up!

1. If I was around hardwoods in the fall/winter where temperatures were a little cooler, I would most likely invest in a good axe, such as GB’s Small Forest Axe, and HI Khukuri or quality/heavy duty chopper. With the left over funds, you could still get a decent field/bushcraft/camp knife such as Fallkniven, Bark River or RAT.

With a quality chopper, I think you could afford a less-expensive smaller knife such as a Mora. Although, Dan Koster brings up a good point about spending more money on the one that will be used the most…I think this needs to be balanced with terrain and location.

2. If I was in the SE or any type of jungle environment, I would be quite comfortable with a good, inexpensive machete and a more quality small fixed blade knife. A good machete like Ontario, Tramontina or Condor coupled with a good fixed blade like a Fallkniven F1 or my Martin BT in S30V.

3. If I was in highland vegetation where there were a lot of small saplings/trees, hardwood vines, bamboo, etc., I would really consider a quality large chopper such as my Siegle Hoodlum II or maybe a Khukuri; still a small Mora would complement quite well.

The season really impacts your choices. Outside of summer, the extremes of the other seasons would really require efficient and quick shelter building; a quality chopper is a must. Late spring through early fall, I could most likely get by with a quality bushcraft type knife such as the Skookum Bush Tool, Bravo-1, Martin Knives BT, Fiddleback, Koster or Brian Andrews would all be solid performers. The quality small blades would let you do some more rugged tasks and most likely hold their edge longer.

I guess if I was working with hard woods, I would much rather have a more quality chopper that I could rely on as the smaller tasks wouldn’t be as hard on the smaller blade.

Good discussions!
ROCK6

THAT IS SUCH A GREAT ANSWER!!!!!!!!!!!:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Good question but I find a good mid-sized blade seems to be able to cover any tasks I really need.
With a mid-sized blade I can chop anything up to around 2" dia pretty quickly. Perform basic bushcraft tasks and carry out moderate prying when breaking apart fatwood stumps etc.
Can't say I've ever felt underknifed.

p81000071.jpg

By pitdog2010 at 2010-08-10

Last edited:
I'de spend a little more on a 5" blade knife like a ESEE5 or Jk LOBO or Wohlwend SAR5 ...etc & then for a big chopper I'de go for a KA-BAR BK9 or Condor 10" Inca knife. The smaller knife would get the most use & would ride on myself where the "Chopper would be in the Pack until needed. I really like a 5" blade, I feel comfortable & can use it for 90% of my chores;)

I think I'd tend to lean more toward spending the $$ on the chopper because in the field that's the one I'm going to ask the MOST from.

Here are my absolute favorite knives...although I'm not sure that the Seal Pup qualifies as the small knife that you're referring to.

knives.jpg

BTW...have you established your local chapter of SA yet??? What ...you don't know what that is you say??? Why Seigleholics Anonymous, of course! :p

I see from your pics that you're still feeding your addiction. ;)

Last edited:
I'd go with one of these
100_1130.jpg

100_1149.jpg

100_1147.jpg

100_1146.jpg

Maybe this?
100_1140.jpg

100_1151.jpg

And then this one for sure.
100_1091.jpg

100_1092.jpg

I also generally carry a folding saw.

Please forgive my photography abilities. I'm still trying to work it out.

Last edited:
I believe I would go with option C. I would go with a chopper such as this Wohlwend and a Fallkniven F1. The particular chopper wouldn't be as important as my F1; I'd have to have that. If something were to happen to the big knife, I could at least baton with the smaller one as well as almost anything else. I would be a little under $300 with these two, I believe.

Attachments

• 028.jpg
    028.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 8
  • 022.jpg
    022.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 20
I'd have to go with A also. The big blade could do more if need be in a survival situation.
Plus i don't think you've got much to worry about with all those awesome Siegles, Dr Bill. :thumbup:

$300 is exactly what I have invested in my EDC bag knife and chopper. $200 for a NWA Scout, and under a $100 for a GB mini. However, this will change in two weeks, as the Mini will be replaced by a RMJ.

As a general rule, more $ on the smaller, as it is in constant use, whereas the chopper less frequently. However, a situation could easily arise where the roles could be easily reversed. As for knives to fill both roles, I have more $ in the choppers, as they cost more. I have several sets of large/small knives, both production and custom, where the larger, containing more material and requiring more labor, cost more than the smaller.

My lighthearted response is, I'd try to borrow another $200, and by a wildertool :D :D :D

Really though, in my neck of the woods, I've sort of come full circle back to the axe as the chopper king around these parts. I think a chopper knife works great for wood that is already downed, but they are really difficult fell standing wood with (yeah it can be done, but with a great deal of effort). For an all rounder, I prefer a 3/4 axe (24-26" handle) along with a take-down buck saw - e.g. 18" trailblazer which goes for about $30. An axe/buck saw combo gives you a very powerful wood processing capability for taking down standing trees, cutting them into rounds and splitting them. I'm pretty happy with my B.Andrews modified S&N, but Since S&N has tanked in terms of QA (According B. Andrews who no longer modifies them), I'd probably end up going with the GB Scand. forest axe or the equivalent sized Wetterlings.

Small knife would use the differece of the funds (~$170) or so. Not entirely sure where I would go with that one right now. Probably would go with a B. Andrews terrasaur (although it would cost a bit more than that), fallkniven H1, BRK&T aurora or Koyote bushcrafter leuku. Those are just off the top of my heads (yeah thinking with the one at the top and the one at the bottom). I might just as well replace my Breeden Cub, ESEE-4 or B. Andrews bitterroot.

A lot of your choice depends on where you live

Mesquite Trees in Texas are as hard as concrete almost and if you intend to chop one--you better have a High Quality tool(axe or knife)--or you will damage the tool.

If all you chop is Pine---any tool will work well.

Keep the answers coming...

Buying them today? I guess I'm in the option B group as I'd spend more on the smaller knife than on the larger one. I can see having a well made larger cutting tool, but I am definitely going to be working the smaller knife more. That's the way I am set up now on outings, the larger knife is in the $100.00 price range and the smaller is in the $200.00 and I am very fortunate that they both happen fit my current uses and style of knife use perfectly. However just like Codger, put in the position I'd have no problem with an old 165OT Woodsman in 1095 and my SAK in my part of the world, I don't like to work any harder than I have to anyway. I logged many miles and many hours in the woods of the Chattahoochee River Valley carrying nothing but my Woodsman and a small folder. I have an old Woodsman that I love very much that stays in the truck because I already know I can trust it, I've known that for many years now. It took till just recently to find the style of machete I like and so now I am really fond of it and a smaller knife...and my SAK. Now...if I had something in the same exact, and I mean the same exact, dimensions and shape as this machete but in 1/8 or 5/32 5160 at about RC57 then I would be in group A because that and my SAK would be all I'd ever really need to get by.

All that said...in my part of the world I wouldn't feel under-knifed if all I had on me out there in the woods was my A1, or my 165OT, or my Bushfinger, or even an RC4. I know this area well and know how to get by here with pretty much any good sturdy knife with a decent point. Now...take me to the frozen north and I am going to feel under-knifed with any of those and wanting an axe to go with them. In the jungle it would be the same only wanting a machete rather than an axe....

Mesquite Trees in Texas are as hard as concrete almost and if you intend to chop one--you better have a High Quality tool(axe or knife)--or you will damage the tool.

Scrub Oak here in the Desert is tough, the HI Choppers do a swell job on it though. The stuff ate up one of my axes in the course of one summer (a True Value store cheapie)

Scrub Oak here in the Desert is tough, the HI Choppers do a swell job on it though. The stuff ate up one of my axes in the course of one summer (a True Value store cheapie)

Great point

You gotta match the tool to the job---

I have heard those HI choppers are Great

Post a photo of yours Bro

I'm sorry to say 'Ol Bud....but Pine has busted more knife/axe/machete than you would think:eek: Why do you think they say tougher than a pine knot ;)
Gotta be careful when chopping pine !

Great point

You gotta match the tool to the job---

I have heard those HI choppers are Great

Post a photo of yours Bro

family072a.jpg

The Scrapyard LE, Regulator, BRKT Neck Knife, CS Master Hunter, HI Chunks(2)

My LE bit me during the taking of the pics...:thumbup::cool:

Back