Rambo First Blood Knife question

2. United / 420J is junk: Again, this is always thrown in. .

That's because its true.

So. If you know all this stuff, and know what everybody is going to say, and you disagree with what you know everybody is going to say....then why did you even ask?

Seems like either: 1) You just wanted to hear people agree with what you already think; or 2) you just came here to stir trouble.

That's because its true.

So. If you know all this stuff, and know what everybody is going to say, and you disagree with what you know everybody is going to say....then why did you even ask?

Seems like either: 1) You just wanted to hear people agree with what you already think; or 2) you just came here to stir trouble.

Nah,i just like to hear everyone's opinion.
PS

I just ordered KA BAR instead of Rambo knife :D

I just ordered KA BAR instead of Rambo knife :D

Good. I didn't want to say it earlier, but I guess I can now.

That cheapo Rambo knife you were asking about is junk. And if you took it into the woods people would laugh at you.

Good. I didn't want to say it earlier, but I guess I can now.

That cheapo Rambo knife you were asking about is junk. And if you took it into the woods people would laugh at you.

Yeah,after all you guys know best,that's why i listened you.
Cheers :D

Hey guys,will Ka Bar take big "abuse" without breaking and damage,is it good against rusting,and how long will it stay sharp?
I know i should asked this before i bought it,but hey,after i saw that video with Ka Bar chopping that wood,i just had to order it.

As has been mentioned, ANY knife can be broken. That being said, I have only seen one or two hollow handle knives of decent quality that were broken, ever. Not that there haven't been more, but I have only seen one or two. The fact that they are weaker is largely untrue, as long as they are constructed properly. There have been FAR more broken KABAR's than quality HH knives broken, that I'm aware of. There is a lot of disagreement on what exactly would constitute failure of a HH knife. Just breaking at the guard would not constitute failure, to me. Any knife can be broken, and other than at the tip, that is where I have seen most full tang and hidden tang knives break.

This is a failure of a HH knife, to me. Meaning, if it hadn't been a hollow handle knife, it might not have broken.

AitorJK1_zps5f2460fe.jpg

Here are some other examples that don't constitute failure to me, if the knife had been a HH. They're simply bad design, poor heat treat, or bad luck, as in some flaw in the steel that couldn't be helped. Additionally, something to consider is that there are a lot more full tang and hidden tang knives out there in use, so of course there are going to be higher numbers of them breaking.

Broken-Tang-Camping-Knife.jpg

bussebwmcfbroke.jpg

982B2307-6A22-48B9-801D-BE564761BB7C-11834-00001BF6A9FAB753.jpg

post-167-0-74024200-1338709459.jpg

H2EMQIP.jpg

DSC01817.jpg

Sam

stabman

Gold Member
Hey guys,will Ka Bar take big "abuse" without breaking and damage,is it good against rusting,and how long will it stay sharp?
It's 1095 carbon steel.
Thus, you must oil it sometimes. The coating will help against rust till it wears off, but some occasional oiling will keep the evils of rust at bay.

How long it stays sharp will depend on how often you use it.
The edge won't fall off, but it doesn't last forever in use.
It'll work just fine though. :)

It will handle a fair bit of abuse, but if you baton excessively, the failure point is at the tang junction.

It's pretty tough though.

Thanks for answers guys.
So what do you recommend for under $100?
I want knife that will take almost any abuse,but like Sam told me,any knife can break.

stabman

Gold Member
Thanks for answers guys.
So what do you recommend for under $100?
I want knife that will take almost any abuse,but like Sam told me,any knife can break.

You want the Becker BK9.

Or a Condor Knives Golok.

Both come in at under $100, though the Becker is closer to it.
Both will satisfy you huge knife cravings.

The Becker will fit in a pack easier.
The Golok (with a 14" blade) will chop harder and clear trails better.

The Becker is 1095 steel (well, 1095 Cro-van, or some such thing)
The Condor is 1075 steel.

Both require some oiling.
Both are tough enough.

I agree with Stabman, the BK9 would be my top choice probably, in that price and size range. Simply a fantastic knife. I am going to add these pics, though, not to disagree, or disparage Becker, because they are a fine company, and Mr. Ethan Becker is a great guy and provides a great product. But simply to point out that sometimes bad things happen to any knife, and I would be more concerned with how I use it, than finding an "indestructible knife." That's just my outlook on it, though.

3baa1a16-55a5-42ad-a146-865afb54b3f5_zps399287fb.jpg

IMAG4026_zps814a0eb0.jpg

IMAG4027_zpse8c7bf5a.jpg

becker_combat_bowie_damaged.jpg

SSPX0026.jpg

Don't abuse the knife, and you've got a much better chance of it lasting forever. Just my .02.

Sam :thumbup:

You want the Becker BK9.

Or a Condor Knives Golok.

Both come in at under $100, though the Becker is closer to it.
Both will satisfy you huge knife cravings.

The Becker will fit in a pack easier.
The Golok (with a 14" blade) will chop harder and clear trails better.

The Becker is 1095 steel (well, 1095 Cro-van, or some such thing)
The Condor is 1075 steel.

Both require some oiling.
Both are tough enough.

I like Becker BK9 better.
So that means BK9 is better then Ka Bar?
I found one store here in Croatia (yes,im not from USA)that sells Ka Bar for $50,only problem is that im not sure is that real Ka Bar.
It says USMC,and does look like Ka Bar,but that sound too good to be true,because i found them on eBay for much,much bigger price.
Here is a link of it,so can you tell me is that "real" Ka Bar:

http://www.atomshop.hr/oprema/nozevi---alati/nozevi/370

So,what do you think?

I don't think that knife is a real Kabar. Look HERE for Kabar's site and it looks different, to me anyway. For what you're asking for, I would personally go with the BK9, myself. I was just trying to make the point that you can break any knife. Treat it with respect, and use it like a knife, for cutting/chopping, and you will most likely be fine.

Lol, yes, that is me in the video doing chin-ups. I was able to do that with the knife because I made it myself, and designed and built it to be very tough and durable. As several have stated, just because it's a hollow handle knife, doesn't mean that it's inherently weak.

As far as that other video, if you hit a knife with a metal hammer, expect it to break. It may not, but you're asking for trouble. Hitting a piece of hardened steel with anything other than wood, e.g. metal, is a very bad idea. In addition to possibly sending a shard of metal at you and risking injury, when you hit metal on metal, the vibrations are different, and exponentially increase your chances of failure of the knife.

That guy is doing that in the video for marketing purposes, and that's not evil, it's just marketing. But that is definitely not a recommended use of the knife, just as I don't recommend people do chin-ups with my knives.

Metal on metal DOES makes like a bad idea.
I would use my knife for cutting branches,and if it could do that,that's all i need.

Here is one of few Ka Bar from that link you gave me:

http://www.kabar.com/knives/detail/24

Now here is "Ka Bar" from store near my home:

w_00_33.jpg

Can you see is there any differences?

Yep the serrations are definitely off. The kabar's is staggered and the fake is not. Just order from a reputable dealer and you wont have this problem.

There are so many Ka Bar knives,and im not sure did i pick right one...
I ordered this:

(( removed live eBay links ))

Should i look for better version,or are these good?

Last edited by a moderator: