Rambo First Blood Knife question

There are so many Ka Bar knives,and im not sure did i pick right one...
I ordered this:

(( removed live eBay links ))

Should i look for better version,or are these good?

I think you accidentally posted the same link twice bud, tis the same knife in both, with the same URL looks like.

This is a good knife though.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you accidentally posted the same link twice bud, tis the same knife in both, with the same URL looks like.

This is a good knife though.

Whops!My bad :)
I meant there are many Ka Bar knives,and i can't see big difference.
Here are links of few Ka Bar's:

(( removed live eBay links ))

and few others...
Thing is,one of sellers (from first link)mentioned that there are many fakes on eBay,that are cheap.
My questions is:almost all have same price,in just a few $$$.
How can i spot fake?

Last edited by a moderator:
I buy from the bay a lot, and it can be an increased risk... sometimes you'll get sellers who don't know or care about knives to vet the product (or perhaps got a few fakes unknowingly).

I would suggest checking some of the authorized dealers from here on Bladeforums instead to be SURE you get an authentic product.

That said, if you are set on an eBay purchase, my advice is:

1. Only choose sellers who've been there long enough to have had a lot of feedback, and are at least 99% positive.
2. Try to stick with sellers who focus on knives as a specialty or even better, sellers whose sole purpose is the sale of knives, and not knives + bunch of other stuff.

Feel free to PM me with any other questions relating to the bay and such purchasing if you have any.

Oh man, your video link led me to this creepy gem, filmed in a bathroom, lol. Don't know why the lid is off the toilet, maybe that's the Rambo-stash.

[video=youtube_share;Q3PGOKz1Z6I]http://youtu.be/Q3PGOKz1Z6I[/video]

Omg! I love the part at 1:30 where he gives the ole "flex and slash"!! This guy is obviously a bada$$! Definitely special forces. I like it that he's in his p.j.'s in moms bathroom too! It's not often you get to catch a trained killer in such a candid situation. Thanks for the link. :thumbup:

Omg! I love the part at 1:30 where he gives the ole "flex and slash"!! This guy is obviously a bada$$! Definitely special forces. I like it that he's in his p.j.'s in moms bathroom too! It's not often you get to catch a trained killer in such a candid situation. Thanks for the link. :thumbup:

The music made this really, really special for me. Especially the first part. Almost magical, you know?

Sorry guys for eBay links,i should read rules a bit better.
So,i can't decide which one should i take,Ka Bar USMC,or Becker BK9.
By Ka Bar i mean on this:
Ka-Bar Full-Size USMC Fighter Straight Edge Knife With Leather Sheath 1217
or
Ka-Bar Full Size Fighting Knife Black Plain Edge Blade 1213
or
Ka-Bar KaBar Full-Size USMC Plain Edge w/ Plastic Sheath 5017
I need knife that will be extremely durable and can chop woods very good without breaking,you know survival knife.
Also what handle material would you recommend?

What do you think?

Last edited:
The Becker bk9 is a much better all around survival knife than any of the kabar's they are designed more for a combat knife role.

The Becker bk9 is a much better all around survival knife than any of the kabar's they are designed more for a combat knife role.

Thanks for help:)
Few hours ago i canceled Ka Bar USMC and ordered Becker BK9 as my final decision.

This is my Ka-Bar Becker BK9. I love it but the truth is, other than the odd bit of landscaping in the backyard, I don't use it much.

bk901_zpsdb5d82b3.jpg

Because it isn't as good, for me and my use, as something like this:

machet02_zps081a6394.jpg

But my outdoorsy set-up of preference usually looks more like this:

izula04.jpg

ESEE Izula 2 and Victorinox SAK

YMMV. Good luck, OP! Unless ya want a wall-hanger, you'd do well to stay well away from Rambo™ knives...

-Brett

Beckers are phenomenal knives for the price, I definitely agree with Cricketdave. I have a BK 2 and I've never met a task it couldn't dominate.

I agree the BK9 is the best big knife for the money, especially for the out of the box sharpness (and resharpenability). I never understood why the USMC Kabar, with its fragile thin blade and inefficient low sabre grind (plus inefficient off-centered point), would be considered a good knife: What the USMC Kabar tells me is that WWII US design standards were pretty low when it came to knives... The Kabar is pretty much in the same league as the United Rambos in solidity, except that it looks more business-like... I wouldn't be surprised if the United Rambos proved stronger... Come to think of it, I have yet to see a broken United Rambo, though for cosmetics, performance and functionality I would place them way, way below the BK9 of similar price, and well into "junk" territory...

My objection to the BK9s is that the blades are apparently often very slightly curved sideways from the heat-treating, which I find cosmetically unacceptable: Not a functional issue at all, but it kinds of kills the pride of ownership for me, even if the curve is very slight. Another issue is that the BK plastic handle fills the hand so perfectly it leaves no "cushion" for the "jolt" of impact when chopping (my less confortable-looking CR Jereboam Mk II, with its cylindrical handle, is actually way, way more confortable under bare hand impacts, with the exact same initial chopping performance), but that problem is probably easily alleviated by wearing gloves.

As far as hollow handles breaking, for quality ones I did see on these forums a picture of a broken Randall 18 (-THE hollow handle knife thread-, probably defective as it broke easily), but then Randall mentions another that was rolled over by a tank and came out bent sideways into a shallow U shape, the joint undamaged...

Gaston

P.S. Glad to see you enjoy my (formerly mine) no saw Surv9 Dave! Great job that you did on it, especially the sheath! It's a small world the realm of hollow handle fans isn't it?

G.

Lol it sure is Gaston I'm glad your here on BF now I've really enjoyed that Surv9 and used it a lot.

This is probably the best knife $50 can buy: ( I would take it over BK any day :D)
9JpxL.jpg

Interesting: Is it the blade thickness or the handle confort that you prefer on the SP-10 over the BK-9? The low sabre grind would indicate more blade mass but less sharpness. It does look like a good deal if the sheath is comparable to the BK-9's... The fact that the blade gets heavier towars the front is especially noteworthy, particularly if the knife doesn't become an anvil overall... Finally, a shock-absorbing weight-saving stick tang! This must save some weight in the right place... How heavy is the SP-10?

Being biaised, I would tolerate a bit more weight from hollow handles, but I positively hate the extra weight from full tangs... I think full tangs are the true "fashionista" modern fad... They offer much more weight (in the wrong place) for nothing in return (except a greater ease of handle design/manufacture for the maker, which is undoubtedly one of the reasons they push this as a beneficial feature). At least with the hollow handle's weight you actually get something for your carrying effort, and it is the best possible place for fragile pills and a few other small items.

Worse, full tangs seem to transfer more shock to the hand while chopping, though maybe the hand-filling BK-9 handle -and its thinner blade- worsen the feeling. Strangely enough, as I've mentionned, I've found at least some cylindrical hollow handles more forgiving on the hand while chopping...

Gaston

As stated, the Rambo knives are low-quality display/collector items. If you want a knife to actually USE, do your research and buy a knife intended to be hard used.

I agree with Stabman, the BK9 would be my top choice probably, in that price and size range. Simply a fantastic knife. I am going to add these pics, though, not to disagree, or disparage Becker, because they are a fine company, and Mr. Ethan Becker is a great guy and provides a great product. But simply to point out that sometimes bad things happen to any knife, and I would be more concerned with how I use it, than finding an "indestructible knife." That's just my outlook on it, though.

3baa1a16-55a5-42ad-a146-865afb54b3f5_zps399287fb.jpg

IMAG4026_zps814a0eb0.jpg

IMAG4027_zpse8c7bf5a.jpg

becker_combat_bowie_damaged.jpg

SSPX0026.jpg

Don't abuse the knife, and you've got a much better chance of it lasting forever. Just my .02.

Sam :thumbup:

Wow, did I just see a whole bunch of different BK 9s with brittle breaks in the exact same place? I've yet to see a bunch of similar pictures from quality hollow handles...

One thing I've noticed with the BK 9, in heavy use, is the vibration, or a sort of "hand bite", when chopping. It is brief but it stings: Definitely wear gloves for heavy use...

One of my theories is that, on the other hand, a thicker blade spine with a deep hollow grind "cushions" the impact in wood, because of the "wedging" action of the hollow grind's "flare", which disperses the energy laterally into the wood: This "decelerates" the blade more gradually than a flat grind, and without any loss of "bite" depth because it starts to bite better at first from being thinner initially. Even the thicker-bladed Trailmaster might be harder decelerating on the hands if it wasn't rubber-handled: The Chris Reeve Jereboam just seemed naturally "cushioned" on impact...

I also think the fatter handles of hollow handles provide a broader surface to disperse the impact energy to the hand...

I think we are at the point where we need to tell people to get good hollow handle knives, if they want confortable hard-working handles, and if they want to avoid unexpected breaks... So far the only broken handle joint I've seen on a good one was a very old Randall Model 18... Even all the "cheapish" Parker-related stuff is still together thirty years later, including the tube-handled ones, and especially the cast handles...

Gaston

Last edited:
Back