Random Thought Thread

No question in my mind: get a D3V DEK1, in fact, don't wait, get the next one from the Exchange.

Why ?

Magnacut is spectacular in that it is a stainless steel with record hardness/wear-resistance; they say like stainless M4 or 4V.

I've had 4V chip on me, a tip breaking off with quite innocent yard work. Have not chipped 3V, Cruwear or Infi. I hate chips. 3V, Cruwear or Infi are
Excellent points

I used my bfk in the yard one day and put it away with plant bits still on the blade...when I grabbed it a few days later I was surprised not to see any discoloration on the areas where the wet pieces sat

I sold the 3V DEK1 I'd be using for the past year or so, and sharpened up the AEB-L blank I had for making some sheaths and holy shit will it take an icky edge. It's taken a lot of abuse and I'm super impressed with how that material's held up, (that knife gets thrown a lot). Don't kick an AEB-L DEK1 out of bed for eating crackers- it'll treat you right.

I was careful not to say it was hype, I've said it will be the highest wear-resistance stainless steel. Look, Jo doesn't go to competitions with D3V, so clearly there are non-D3V applications. It's just not as interesting for me for a fixed blade. And that's all I have to say, carry on :)
Oh yeah, no I get that! I meant generally, there is a lot of talk and hype around it, which regardless of if it lives up to it or not, is just a thing.
That's fair and I get that! Everyone has their preffered steel with preferred balance or spread of properties.
I have had aebl rust on me so it offers a different advantage to me that it wouldnt other people. My ocd mind freakin hates rust. Fortuntately Nate uses different steels with the best designs, so we can all be happy 😉

I sold the 3V DEK1 I'd be using for the past year or so, and sharpened up the AEB-L blank I had for making some sheaths and holy shit will it take an icky edge. It's taken a lot of abuse and I'm super impressed with how that material's held up, (that knife gets thrown a lot). Don't kick an AEB-L DEK1 out of bed for eating crackers- it'll treat you right.
I’ve got to agree with you. I only have one DEK1 and it is in AEBL. Really good stuff and takes a nasty edge. D3V might be about one of the best you can get in a fixed blade though. Can’t wait to see a bunch of testing and real world use with Magnacut though. Exciting times!

I can't help but ask why you sold the DEK1 in D3V?

Why are children so expensive....... especially ones that drive ☹

ferider ferider did me a solid today trying to help me out , but right before I checked the forum I found out how much I have to pay to fix my leech... I mean my youngest car is going to cost lol

Regardless thank you again ferider!

Was hoping to see a prototype folder somewhere blurry in the background 🧐
Glad you’re getting some rest, Nathan.

You know some brilliant physicists have proposed that we humans do not understand time at all (the whole concept of space / time fabric thingie) and in fact what we deem as time, i.e, the measure of change from one instant to another is vastly different to the actual meaning of time theorizing that the past, the present and the future happen all at the same time or sumptin like that!

Case in point, while this present version of you is looking for any morsel of info on the CPK-Folder (just like yours truly), the future version of us is already in possession of at least two of them brimming with smiles and the past version of us remains blissfully clueless, "what's a CPK?".

I'm making a 13" Bowie right now. I was briefly tempted to go with recurve, distal taper, hamon, serrations, sawback, fuller and gut hook. With a Spanish notch of course. In the end it is just tapered, hamon, and swedge. It will have a coffin handle...
This is the closest anyone has come to the correct incantation that draws forth Nathan into a murderous rage.

Back