Random Thought Thread

I speculate that in the hypothetical experiment of Schrodinger's cat, if one were to actually really perform that experiment, that cat would be literally both dead and alive simultaneously until you observed it.

And

It would continue to be both dead and also alive even after you observed it.

The only thing that it would change (and this really isn't even a change) is that you would then know, upon observation, which reality you are in.
The show Silicon Valley discusses all of these issues including Schrodinger’s cat and the potential of artificial intelligence. It’s a comedy, but they do bring up the cat a lot. I just rewatched the series. It’s pretty funny and good.

Hedge funds already do this for the stock market.

so yes

That's not the same. There are limited outcomes. To over-simplify, stock/options go up or down in value. The only "unknown" is when those fluctuations will occur and their duration. There are strict rules governing how Stock prices are determined by market makers, which eliminates some of the potential for "random" occurrences as well.

The predictions you're referring to are done using pattern analysis of fluctuations against one another. There are patterns which indicate probable outcomes.

That's not the same. There are limited outcomes. To over-simplify, stock/options go up or down in value. The only "unknown" is when those fluctuations will occur and their duration. There are strict rules governing how Stock prices are determined by market makers, which eliminates some of the potential for "random" occurrences as well.

The predictions you're referring to are done using pattern analysis of fluctuations against one another. There are patterns which indicate probable outcomes.
I understand. i was simply demonstrating the point that at the base level of 2 outcomes the AI can be programmed to ''win'' at the game.

so I'm pretty sure that with enough information an ai could be pretty good at predicting outcomes

I'm dumb though. Brain smuth like dolphin fetus

Random thought for the smarter than me guys here:

Will an AI, running on a quantum computer, be able to calculate near term future events? Not through estimation but through observation?
It depends on the event. There are some events that are not predictable by any means, because the prediction itself affects the outcome, a self-defeating prophecy if you will.

Back