1. Week 43of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco C243PBK Edela + Misc Prize Pack

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco Endela + Misc Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Oct 26 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Random Thought Thread

Discussion in 'Carothers Performance Knives' started by Nathan the Machinist, Jul 17, 2017.

1. SwarthyGnome

SwarthyGnome Basic Member Basic Member

Nov 1, 2018
    upload_2019-4-12_18-30-9.jpeg

Ya’ll Got any more of them shivs?

Organic556, gusbuster, vkp78 and 7 others like this.
  2. UffDa

UffDa Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 11, 1999
    I bet Mr. HAPPY is happy. He sold his FK2. I have no idea what he got for it, but it looks like others are trying to cash in.

3. fonedork

fonedork Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jul 7, 2011
    Worth $500 anyway imo

4. betzner

betzner CenCal Coast Platinum Member

Jan 23, 2007
    Kinda crazy when you think that next Friday, there will be 50 of them at the sale and lord knows how many in the pipeline for some time to come...

5. WValtakis

WValtakis Hand Engraving, Anodizing and Embellishment Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

May 29, 2004
    It seems like these may actually be "in stock" at some point...

gusbuster, vkp78, Mike157 and 4 others like this.
  6. coinbuysell

coinbuysell Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 29, 2014
    Go get'em Jo and try to stay dry, it is going to be nasty here tomorrow. I may try to sneak down there and check it out since it's not too far from my house near DFW airport.

7. Murman

Murman

Nov 11, 2015
    Good luck. Dfw is about 5 hr from my house. I plan to be at the texas bushcraft gathering tomorrow.

8. Jo the Machinist

Jo the Machinist KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Nov 17, 2015
    Men’s competition starts at 10. Ladies at 2:00. Then there will be the 2nd half of men’s prelims. Tomorrow will be the Men’s final. :)

9. Phill50

Phill50 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 6, 2018
    Is anybody going to the Eugene Oregon knife show today?

abbydaddy, Fullflat and Odog27 like this.
  10. Allmy Digits

Allmy Digits

Sep 14, 2014
    If your curiosity is getting the best of you, send me a pm and I’ll tell you.

TommyGun56, Fullflat and Odog27 like this.
  11. Murman

Murman

Nov 11, 2015
    I hope mr happy is happy. Good guy ive done at least 6 deals with him both ways. I was in full negotiations over that knife with him. I told himi was really after hdfk. He kindly allerted me to the one i bought here yesterday. He has an amazing ability to find off grid knives like a pink g10 tglb or an early 80s busse jerry personally hand ground and handled with an actual bear jawbone.
    IMG_2617.jpg

Last edited: Apr 13, 2019
  12. fonedork

fonedork Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jul 7, 2011
    Jos before bros

Odog27 and Fullflat like this.
  13. TommyGun56

TommyGun56 Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 29, 2014
    According to Nathan, about this many:eek:
    ......I'm literally making thousands of those.....

Odog27 likes this.
  14. JJ_Colt45

JJ_Colt45 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 11, 2014
    I'm a bit late to the party ... wasn't around yesterday but wishing you good luck this weekend Jo !

maybe someday they will televise cutting comps like they got into timber sports for awhile years back.

Fullflat, Mike157 and Odog27 like this.
  15. Murman

Murman

Nov 11, 2015
    Iirc the main bottleneck cpk experience is with the heat treat

16. bluemax_1

bluemax_1 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 17, 2014
    That would be pretty cool. I miss ABC's Wide World Of Sports, where they would show the more obscure sporting events. I'm pretty sure it helped pique interest in some sports that most folks didn't even know existed.

TBH, seeing the pros at lumberjack competitions helped me refine my chopping technique back when I was a cub scout.

What better way to learn form, accuracy, power and efficiency, than watching folks who've spent years perfecting it?

Nate, mentioning Jo being the only female to 2-hit a 1x4 in competition... that's technique. I've never had the fortune to meet her in person, but she's tiny in all the photos, so she has to use technique to develop that power.

It's also why I like watching Dan's chopping videos. His technique is awesome to watch. Using his whole body to generate power (as opposed to folks who only use their arm), and still having the accuracy to hit in the same cut more often than not. Most folks swinging that hard can't hit anywhere close to the same spot twice.

P.S.
    In comparison, it's absolutely hilarious to watch any of the thousands of 'seasoned' YT reviewers, featuring folks whaling away at a downed tree/piece of wood with absolute crap technique (dozens of chops, either completely vertical, or all over the place).

vkp78, Standard78, JJ_Colt45 and 2 others like this.
  17. bluemax_1

bluemax_1 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 17, 2014
    I've never thought about it, but now that you've mentioned it, I have to wonder what PHT looks like, considering they process stuff for many different makers?

18. Murman

Murman

Nov 11, 2015
    mike-marra-highresscreenshot00000.jpg

Standard78, Fullflat and Hard Knocks like this.
  19. Nathan the Machinist

Nathan the Machinist KnifeMaker / Machinist / Evil Genius Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 13, 2007

20190331_211835.jpg

Yeah, technique is a big part of it. That and, you know, look at her freaking arm...

20. Nathan the Machinist

Nathan the Machinist KnifeMaker / Machinist / Evil Genius Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 13, 2007
    They're a big outfit, they do a LOT of work. But our process is non-standard and can't be done anywhere at anytime. There is a specific oven and cryo setup that, when down for maintenance, can lead to logjams.

David Lennon, duramax, vkp78 and 6 others like this.