Random Thought Thread

I hope mr happy is happy. Good guy ive done at least 6 deals with him both ways. I was in full negotiations over that knife with him. I told himi was really after hdfk. He kindly allerted me to the one i bought here yesterday. He has an amazing ability to find off grid knives like a pink g10 tglb or an early 80s busse jerry personally hand ground and handled with an actual bear jawbone.
IMG_2617.jpg

Last edited:
I'm a bit late to the party ... wasn't around yesterday but wishing you good luck this weekend Jo !

maybe someday they will televise cutting comps like they got into timber sports for awhile years back.
That would be pretty cool. I miss ABC's Wide World Of Sports, where they would show the more obscure sporting events. I'm pretty sure it helped pique interest in some sports that most folks didn't even know existed.

TBH, seeing the pros at lumberjack competitions helped me refine my chopping technique back when I was a cub scout.

What better way to learn form, accuracy, power and efficiency, than watching folks who've spent years perfecting it?

Nate, mentioning Jo being the only female to 2-hit a 1x4 in competition... that's technique. I've never had the fortune to meet her in person, but she's tiny in all the photos, so she has to use technique to develop that power.

It's also why I like watching Dan's chopping videos. His technique is awesome to watch. Using his whole body to generate power (as opposed to folks who only use their arm), and still having the accuracy to hit in the same cut more often than not. Most folks swinging that hard can't hit anywhere close to the same spot twice.

P.S.
In comparison, it's absolutely hilarious to watch any of the thousands of 'seasoned' YT reviewers, featuring folks whaling away at a downed tree/piece of wood with absolute crap technique (dozens of chops, either completely vertical, or all over the place).

Iirc the main bottleneck cpk experience is with the heat treat
I've never thought about it, but now that you've mentioned it, I have to wonder what PHT looks like, considering they process stuff for many different makers?

Nate, mentioning Jo being the only female to 2-hit a 1x4 in competition... that's technique. I've never had the fortune to meet her in person, but she's tiny in all the photos, so she has to use technique to develop that power.

20190331_211835.jpg

Yeah, technique is a big part of it. That and, you know, look at her freaking arm...

Iirc the main bottleneck cpk experience is with the heat treat

They're a big outfit, they do a LOT of work. But our process is non-standard and can't be done anywhere at anytime. There is a specific oven and cryo setup that, when down for maintenance, can lead to logjams.

Back