Random Thought Thread

This all sounds really great, and right up my alley. I’ll start incorporation more of this in my own inversions. Thank you! Mike

One thing I’ve learned with inversion slow and steady, and minor corrections over time. Just like not bouncing in a stretch movement, just nice gentle steady stretch. It took me almost 6 months to get to 90° rotation and hold for stretch. Also abs seem easy at first, so don’t over do. Cause wow you’ll feel it later lol. Just like the gym :)

Every time when I tried inversion therapy, even starting with much shallower angles while trying to ease into it, I ended up getting super disoriented and nauseous :( Maybe it was just the crappy and cheaper inversion machine I had used but just didn't appeal to me as a remedy.
I had that when I first started. But I was a total mess from an injury I sustained. So I already had the disorientation and nauseous plus stabbing pain. But with my Doc and Chiro both agreed for me to push through. Only other choice was surgery and that got a NO lol. Now 100% unless my dumb ass lifts too much lol. But I did spend a good 2-3 weeks at just slightly below level, gradually letting my body adjust. The teather strap is your friend in the beginning :)

Every time when I tried inversion therapy, even starting with much shallower angles while trying to ease into it, I ended up getting super disoriented and nauseous :( Maybe it was just the crappy and cheaper inversion machine I had used but just didn't appeal to me as a remedy.
Unfortunately, getting nauseous and disoriented from inversion isn't due to yhe quality of the inversion table. It's due to not being used to the sensation of being inverted with all that blood rushing to your head. Different folks will adapt to it at different rates.

It's one of those things that you can generally condition yourself to, if you have the time and inclination. The more sensitive you are to it, the slower you should go. With adjustable inversion tables (eg. Teeter Hangups), start off with just slight inversion with your head only a little lower than your feet.

You can even try to see if conditioning yourself to the sensation, is an option before spending the money on an inversion table, by simply propping up one end of your couch and laying on it with your feet higher than your head (you won't get the back stretching benefits of inversion, but will be able to see if you can gradually build tolerance to the effects of blood rushing to your head).

As you get used to the sensation, you can increase the inversion angle with an adjustable table. Going straight into complete inversion isn't for everyone (and can potentially exacerbate a back problem, in folks who've never done anything to stretch their backs like that).

Alternatives exist for stretching out your back, for folks who can't deal with the sensations from inversion:
- there are upper arm straps, meant to be used for doing leg raises from a chinup bar. They allow folks to do leg/knee raises, who may not have the requisite grip strength/endurance to hang on for longer periods. You can use them to hang in an upright position. Ankle weights can increase the traction.
- free and easy to try option. Lay on the floor with your hands slightly under the top of your buttocks. Relax your core/back, then using your arms, push to extend your back by moving your shoulders away from your butt. The friction on carpet will help hold the stretch, but your triceps will still need to do a fair amount of work to hold the static position.
- there's also a machine (as/more expensive vs inversion tables?) that has you lay flat on the floor, and place your legs in an elevated cradle. The motorized cradle slowly moves your legs side to side (IIRC) to loosen up a stiff back. A friend bought one, and says it does wonders for his lower back pain. I've never tried one.

As mentioned, good posture helps, as do stretching exercises and building core strength. I popped a disc years ago, being stupid. Over the years, I've been focusing on deadlifts with proper form. The stronger my back, the less issues I've had (aside from throwing ~20lb shovelfuls of heavy snow 10-15 feet for 90 minutes ;))

P.S.
Funny story:
My brother (2 years older) is a LOT shorter than I am (and always been a little chunkier). In high school, when he'd stopped growing while I hit my growth spurt, he decided to order a pair of gravity inversion boots (the kind you clamp on your ankles, with hooks to hang on underneath a chinup bar), to see if they could stretch him a few more inches.

When they arrived, he showed them to me, and I actually tried them out first. Hung upside down. Did a few sets of situps. I told him, "Well, I can definitely feel the stretch in my back when hanging upside down".

I came home from school one day and find him hanging upside down, face beet red, barely conscious. He goes, "help......". I get him down off the chinup bar, and after he finally recovers, I asked, "What happened?".

He said he didn't want to try the gravity boots while anyone was around, so he waited until he was home, alone. Managed to get the boots up on the bar. Hung upside down for a few minutes, then realized he didn't have the ab strength to get his hands back on the bar to unhook the boots.

He said he kept trying again, and again, progressively getting more tired, and finally was too tired, and hung there waiting for someone to get home. I had some after school sports before getting home. I asked him how long he'd been hanging upside down for. It was almost 90 minutes.

I then proceeded to put on the boots to show him how he could 'climb up' his own leg to reach the bar, if he couldn't pull a situp far enough to reach it. He said, "Damn, I never thought of that". I don't think he ever tried using those gravity inversion boots again.

Last edited:
- there's also a machine (as/more expensive vs inversion tables?) that has you lay flat on the floor, and place your legs in an elevated cradle. The motorized cradle slowly moves your legs side to side (IIRC) to loosen up a stiff back. A friend bought one, and says it does wonders for his lower back pain. I've never tried one.

I've got one of these. I had an L5/S1 fusion (no lamenectomy) 34 years ago and it mostly solved my problem, but one is never free and clear of it forever. I found out about this product about 2 years ago when problems occurred again. It eliminated the problems and they don't recur as long as occasional use is made of the unit. It can be found for less than $100 used on places like Ebay, though I had purchased it new. Info can be found at getback2life.com .

It sure did work for me. Rather than moving the legs side to side, one cradles the knees in an adjustable frame that moves the leg (from knee to back area) forward ever so slightly and slightly to the side, which works for me. Most who have a back problem are willing to pay anything for something that works, and it did.

And for maintainence, I use a "relaxtheback" self-inflating rectangle for the back. It can be taken anywhere and works on pretty much any chair. Chairs were always my worst enemy until it was recommended years ago. It rolls up and can be carried anywhere - relaxtheback.com.

Last edited:
Enjoying the warm breeze and salty air....
DCYV20H.jpg

Hey man, don't worry, one of these days you'll grow some hair on those legs.

Back in another life, I used to ride a mountain bike. I was never into those glow in the dark skin tight outfits, but some of the folks who road seriously would shave their legs. I asked why and was told that when they got road-rash, it was easier to clean up with less chance of infection. Notice that they said when, not if. :eek:

Back in another life, I used to ride a mountain bike. I was never into those glow in the dark skin tight outfits, but some of the folks who road seriously would shave their legs. I asked why and was told that when they got road-rash, it was easier to clean up with less chance of infection. Notice that they said when, not if. :eek:
yeah, well the real reason is because shaved legs feel great between the sheets

Back