Random Thought Thread

Currently on the hunt for a clear plastic straw so I can "suspend" it directly above the tubes;)

20190623_152719.jpg
Awesomeness Chip
Is that a DIY vacuum tube clock?
Looked at those a few years ago thinking I need one :)

Last edited:
Not many people know what nixie tubes are. The early Xerox machines that I serviced used them. Practical LEDs hadn't been developed yet. I think the first 7 segment LED displays didn't become common until the early to mid '70s and were very expensive.

One of our salesmen bought a pocket calculator that had a LED display. It cost $300. It was great. It would add, subtract, multiply and divide AND you could play Mary Had A Little Lamb on it.

Not many people know what nixie tubes are. The early Xerox machines that I serviced used them. Practical LEDs hadn't been developed yet. I think the first 7 segment LED displays didn't become common until the early to mid '70s and were very expensive.

One of our salesmen bought a pocket calculator that had a LED display. It cost $300. It was great. It would add, subtract, multiply and divide AND you could play Mary Had A Little Lamb on it.

Remember my sister getting one of those TI LED calculators for her birthday way back when...was a big deal

Back