Random Thought Thread

Ah, always around are the ill-informed chartmakers. The US is first governed by the Constitutional law, which allows the federal government to make or change law as and to the degree the Constitution permits. The US Constitution allows the federal government full authority to regulate all interstate commerce. However, it does not allow the federal government to regulate intrastate commerce, but it finds it's ways, wihin the confines of Constitutional language, to interpret such things as human rights, for instance. So in lots of situations, the Supreme Court will rule the interstate commerce clause to be applicable where the states argue it is not. Abortion is an example of a state right (I disagree) turned into a human right and therefore subject to the interstate commerce clause, allowing the US Congress to pass laws regulating it. Then the state comes in and, in reverse fashion, passes state law that eliminates funding for any abortions. But this is only an example of how the state can attempt to reverse the effect. Sorry, bad example, as most really problematic decisions end up decided by the Supreme Court.

This legal minimum drinking age thing is a perfect example of how the US Congress can, legally, manipulate the states. So I repeat, there is no federal law in America that sets a legal minimum drinking age. That is a state right.

To reinforce this thought..(if memory serves correctly) I believe there was a substantial amount of federal funding that was used as leverage to make state level governments comply. Also, there was a lot of political pressure based on lobbying.. I'd have to Google this for details..

So although it is widely accepted that the legal drinking age in the "U.S." is 21, implying federal law, its not true. However, the legal drinking age in every state is 21. It's like puzzle pieces making the picture complete. The end result is the same.

To reinforce this thought..(if memory serves correctly) I believe there was a substantial amount of federal funding that was used as leverage to make state level governments comply. Also, there was a lot of political pressure based on lobbying.. I'd have to Google this for details..

So although it is widely accepted that the legal drinking age in the "U.S." is 21, implying federal law, its not true. However, the legal drinking age in every state is 21. It's like puzzle pieces making the picture complete. The end result is the same.

There are a few exceptions but they tend to relate to beer and wine, purchase age vs drinking age, whether in the company of adults - and particularly in the case of territories which, granted, are not states.

Bedtime!

I enjoyed watching Frank Zappa talk about beer in the US

Here is my profile on ratebeer.com (I prefer to waste my time on here rather than there :) ). From the aisles of Ralph's to Whole Foods to local breweries and festivals, I have sampled at least a thousand different beers over the years. The thing is that I don't really like beer. I still don't get it :( .

Here is my profile on ratebeer.com (I prefer to waste my time on here rather than there :) ). From the aisles of Ralph's to Whole Foods to local breweries and festivals, I have sampled at least a thousand different beers over the years. The thing is that I don't really like beer. I still don't get it :( .

My wife's cousin has a cidery in Hood River. It's kinda cool when we go visit because he runs me around to the different microbreweries there. Some of it requires a trained palate though :D

I love me some micro brews. My wife and i go to a few different beer tasting around ny throughout the year and we take a trip to Vermont for magic hat Mardi Gras. Theres about 10 other breweries we hit while were up there. Its always a great time but it gets really cold. When you're outside the beers freeze before you can drink them haha

I'm just so sad that the LC pattern is being retired and I missed the last of tge D3V versions. I mean, I'll try for the 4Vs, but these swedged shmoos were something special.

^ no worries Lukey, this was your atonement for your recent bad behavior (who could forget your last Friday's drama after the visit to the pub ;) ). I knew what was coming to you as Nathan had clearly posted only 1 per, but I bit my tongue and was wondering if you'd claim your own Zombie as you had the right to having come first place, or you'd abide by your original proxy for the Jackal. You just manned up son :thumbsup:

Back