1. BladeForums has ZERO TOLERANCE for extremism or calls of violence. We request your assistance dealing with this as we do not want to see the site shut down due to violent threats. Please see this thread here in Tech Support: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bladeforums-has-a-zero-tolerance-policy-towards-threats-of-violence-extremism-be-warned.1769537/

Random Thought Thread

Discussion in 'Carothers Performance Knives' started by Nathan the Machinist, Jul 17, 2017.

1. Lorien

Lorien KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 5, 2005
    I love Knife Talk, and am now hopelessly addicted to Mareko's soothing voice

2. vkp78

vkp78 Gold Member Gold Member

May 6, 2014
    Random thoughts
    Happy Mother's day to the ladies!
    A puukko is an elegant shank
    CPK terotuf is grippier than others
    A handshake and a hug will become the symbols of trust they once were (not my own)

3. UffDa

UffDa Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 11, 1999
    Just an old fart's observation. I do not intend to insult anyone. There was a time when people who owned a knife knew how to sharpen it and repair any damage.

One thing that I see sometimes in the exchange is "Professionally sharpened." The other is "Professionally sharpened on Japanese water stones." :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:BFD!

Mike157, jus_gus, ironwagon and 6 others like this.
  4. fatfrog

fatfrog Basic Member Basic Member

Jul 26, 2019
    :( I literally did the same thing to my fk2 tonight but dropped it tip down on a glasstop stove. Damage isn't horrible so I'm going to try to repoint it.

Any tips for repointing? I think I lost ~0.5mm of the tip.

5. SneezySky

SneezySky Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 23, 2017
    CHAMPION!

6. heat_treat

heat_treat Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 25, 2015
    Yes, I have seen many an older knife where a person "repaired" it themselves. Most of the repairs were, let us just say, less than professional looking. Worked yes, looked like the maker repaired them, no. Grinding wheels seemed to be the tool of choice. There is now, and has always been, a subset of users who are mechanically inclined and with a proper attention for detail.

I think the biggest difference here is the potential for loss. Most people will try and fix a $15 Mora without much thought. That same person may be a bit more cautious with a $300+ CPK.

Mike157, CoryMc, jus_gus and 6 others like this.
  7. fonedork

fonedork Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jul 7, 2011
    Yeah, for a long time I thought a bench grinding wheel that throws sparks was the best way to sharpen knives since my granddad used one.

Mike157, fkctrjt121, vkp78 and 7 others like this.
  8. tinfoil hat timmy

tinfoil hat timmy Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 21, 2014
    Well. Sparks are a bad thing. I hope that your mind has changed in this area......

Mike157, Odog27, bluemax_1 and 2 others like this.
  9. Nathan the Machinist

Nathan the Machinist KnifeMaker / Machinist / Evil Genius Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 13, 2007
    Delta 3V is sensitive to temperature and people vastly underestimate the temperature they hit at the edge.

If there is significant damage, send it in for some flood coolant water cooled grinding love.

I hate the idea of a knife out there with my name on it with a sub-optimal heat treat. and people who grind on their knives without the proper setup are likely to get a sub-optimal heat treat at the edge.

10. fatfrog

Jul 26, 2019
    Last night, I dropped my FK2 tip down onto our glasstop stove (don't ask...) and lost the very tip:
    IMG_20200510_191454.jpg

This morning, a few minutes throwing sparks on the waterstone fixed it right up ;) Since I worked backwards from the tip, the OAL is now slightly shorter and I also had to take a bit of metal off the spine to get it pinprick sharp. As a result, the edge angle just behind the tip is a tad thicker, which should help protect it in the future. This was the only way I could repoint it at home without regrinding the entire front end of the knife (which honestly wouldn't have been worth it, IMO):
    IMG_20200511_080254.jpg

Anyways, I'm pretty happy with the result as it's barely noticeable to my eyes.

11. fatfrog

Jul 26, 2019
    I would've sent my FK2 in if the tip damage was any worse. Thankfully it was just the very end of the pinpoint that I lost and I was able to fix it pretty quickly this morning.

Besides the tips (arguably a knive's weakest point), I honestly can't imagine how anyone would practically damage one of your knives without purposely abusing them. That said, I'm glad to know that you stand behind and back up your products, Nathan!

12. tinfoil hat timmy

tinfoil hat timmy Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 21, 2014
    That looks really nice.

13. twyych@gmail.com

[email protected] Basic Member Basic Member

Sep 20, 2008
    I like your plants.

My wife and I are approaching our third move within the last year (all within the same area; job related), so we've had a lot of plants die alone the way, but we still try to keep some greenery at all times. This move should be semi-permanent, so we've started a bunch of veggies to bring with us.

woodysone, Mike157, vkp78 and 6 others like this.
  14. bluemax_1

bluemax_1 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 17, 2014
    Covering defects or a material failure would be one thing (and I've certainly NEVER heard of defects with CPKs), but IMHO, reprofiling a tip/edge that a customer damaged goes above and beyond "standing behind his products".

ironwagon, woodysone, Mike157 and 8 others like this.
  15. fatfrog

Jul 26, 2019
    Thanks!! We actually have hundreds of species of plants in our home - they're so nice to have around but it's a ton of work. We need to dedicate a full day to their care every few weeks.

Here's the smallest portion of our collection. We keep a variety of succulents/cacti, tropicals, and carnivorous plants.
    IMG_20200415_170633.jpg

Watering my mounted staghorn fern:
    IMG_20200501_093454.jpg

16. fatfrog

Jul 26, 2019
    Oh yeah for sure. I just don't know how else to say it haha :D

woodysone, Mike157, Odog27 and 2 others like this.
  17. fonedork

fonedork Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jul 7, 2011
    6939E957-5E42-4111-A5F0-B8B6194DEB05.jpeg

18. jus_gus

jus_gus Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 30, 2011
    I dropped my 15 degree per side UF on my ceramic tile floor approximately 4’ tip first and bent the crap out of it. I was thinking about sending it in, but I just fixed it the best I could on my stones.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

ironwagon, woodysone, Mike157 and 9 others like this.
  19. fatfrog

Jul 26, 2019
    Honestly, other than the tiny dent near the spine, it's barely noticeable so I think you did a great job!

In other news, I got my UF last Thursday and don't know why it took me so long to get one. This thing is awwwwesome!

woodysone, Mike157, duramax and 6 others like this.
  20. TRfromMT

TRfromMT Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Jan 4, 2016
    Y'all keep it up with these sharpening/dropped knives horror stories and @betzner is going to show up and post gory photos of his experience, so knock it off!

Speaking of which, anyone seen him lately?

woodysone, Mike157, duramax and 5 others like this.