1. BladeForums has ZERO TOLERANCE for extremism or calls of violence. We request your assistance dealing with this as we do not want to see the site shut down due to violent threats. Please see this thread here in Tech Support: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bladeforums-has-a-zero-tolerance-policy-towards-threats-of-violence-extremism-be-warned.1769537/

Random Thought Thread

Discussion in 'Carothers Performance Knives' started by Nathan the Machinist, Jul 17, 2017.

1. Winston_Smith

Winston_Smith Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 18, 2019
    Oh, Canada? Tell me this is satire...

50CF6564-1D14-4D30-8E3A-1A076D63048B.jpg

Winston

duramax, jus_gus, vkp78 and 4 others like this.
  2. 000Robert

000Robert Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 28, 2020
    I've never eaten anything like that. I've never eaten horse meat, oysters, squid, or anything like that, ever. And I never will unless I am starving to death. Even then, I might just go ahead and die...

3. TRfromMT

TRfromMT Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Jan 4, 2016
    duramax, jus_gus, vkp78 and 3 others like this.
  4. jlauffer

jlauffer Dissident Aggressor Platinum Member

Apr 11, 2016
    duramax, jus_gus, woodysone and 5 others like this.
  5. fatfrog

fatfrog Basic Member Basic Member

Jul 26, 2019
    Why?

jus_gus, Odog27 and Mike157 like this.
  6. 000Robert

Mar 28, 2020
    Because it's nasty.

7. fatfrog

Jul 26, 2019
    I love nasty things then :D

duramax, jus_gus, woodysone and 5 others like this.
  8. 000Robert

Mar 28, 2020
    Ok.

9. JustinFournier

JustinFournier Gold Member Gold Member

May 7, 2012
    Thoughts?

duramax, jus_gus, woodysone and 2 others like this.
  10. fonedork

fonedork Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jul 7, 2011
    "[CPM 3V] might lose a little bit of an edge quicker than a stainless type blade, but I don't like stainless blades in the field."

Wut

duramax, jus_gus, woodysone and 7 others like this.
  11. fatfrog

Jul 26, 2019
    I was thinking the exact same thing!

duramax, Odog27, bluemax_1 and 2 others like this.
  12. Nathan the Machinist

Nathan the Machinist KnifeMaker / Machinist / Evil Genius Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 13, 2007
    Huh? Yeah, that's not right.

duramax, jus_gus, woodysone and 8 others like this.
  13. Nathan the Machinist

Nathan the Machinist KnifeMaker / Machinist / Evil Genius Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 13, 2007
    Curse you Justin. Knifemakers aren't supposed to talk shit about other knifemakers. Although I guess technically he's not a knife maker? IDK. I'm sure I would get along with him great in person. And his arms look great don't they? but he does not seem to me to know a great deal about what he's talking about.

14. Richard338

Richard338 Gold Member Gold Member

May 3, 2005
    I love the training scene near the end...if a guy takes a slow-mo punch at you wearing 12 oz gloves, you duck and then stab them in the neck!

duramax, jus_gus, woodysone and 4 others like this.
  15. JustinFournier

May 7, 2012
    If you watch many of the recent videos with Karambits, this is a very common practice.

jus_gus and Odog27 like this.
  16. bluemax_1

bluemax_1 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 17, 2014
    Many (most?) manufacturers use a standard 3V heat treat that's pretty soft. Nate's 3V definitely has better edge holding than most of these mass manufactured knives, despite them touting the 'super-steels' used.

duramax, jus_gus, vkp78 and 6 others like this.
  17. Richard338

Richard338 Gold Member Gold Member

May 3, 2005
    Just wasn't sure why he needed boxing gloves if he was pulling the punches and later grappling...

duramax, jus_gus, woodysone and 3 others like this.
  18. Mike157

Mike157 Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 29, 2006
    Have to agree with Nathan. I’m sure that they are sincere in their efforts, and doing things to the best of their knowledge and abilities, and I certainly don’t want talk down about their product, but, in my opinion, CPK’s are next level, in every respect, compared to just about anything else on the market.

Don’t know the cost of those knives, but if they fill a niche, given their price, design, and materials, then more power to them. I am a bit concerned about the spreading of information that may not be accurate. But then again, that is all over the place in the knife world. Mike

duramax, jus_gus, vkp78 and 10 others like this.
  19. JustinFournier

May 7, 2012
    As a point of reference the knives release today at 5pm, limited to 3000 pieces, limit 1 of each colourway per person, total limit of 3 per person. And they are $395.

He’s definitely not a knifemaker. He’s a vet who built a really big cult following, he primarily does training and makes tactical products with his market in mind to sell to.

He’s a good guy, living his dream. I think for a lot of casual people who buy his brand, and follow his methods they will love this shit.

I have some of his gear, found it’s not worth the hype but I have tons of shit that isn’t.
    I still respect him and catch up from time to time but I’m not on the cool-aid.

20. JustinFournier

May 7, 2012
    Cause viral marketing is all about catching hype and marketing a product to that niche and making money, then getting into the next trend in time. Timing is everything.