1. BladeForums has ZERO TOLERANCE for extremism or calls of violence. We request your assistance dealing with this as we do not want to see the site shut down due to violent threats. Please see this thread here in Tech Support: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bladeforums-has-a-zero-tolerance-policy-towards-threats-of-violence-extremism-be-warned.1769537/

Random Thought Thread

Discussion in 'Carothers Performance Knives' started by Nathan the Machinist, Jul 17, 2017.

1. jus_gus

jus_gus Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 30, 2011
    I was watching a late night show about giant squids the other night. They showed the first crew to film a giant squid still alive. They where deep with a large piece of bait attached to the front of their submarine, and this giant squid swam up and wrapped its tentacles around the bait and started chomping on the bait for awhile with its large beak. It was kinda funny, on one of their earlier attempts, a shark came by and bit the giant squids head off before it could get to their bait.
    Which reminds me, I had a delicious spicy raw squid appetizer at the Boat House in Disney Springs.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2020
    Mike157, Big DJ, bluemax_1 and 5 others like this.
  2. JustinFournier

JustinFournier Gold Member Gold Member

May 7, 2012
    Damn! What kind of shark was it?

3. fonedork

fonedork Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jul 7, 2011

jus_gus, Odog27 and comis like this.
  4. comis

comis Gold Member Gold Member

May 17, 2013
    I am sure many of you have seen the movie called "Jiro Dreams of Sushi", but in that documentary, the "God of Sushi" did talk about Squid as a sushi material and it's pretty interesting how they have to massage it 45 min(IIRC) before they think it is 'ready'. I found that documentary pretty inspiring--I mean any person who can dedicated decades of life to become best of his trade, still dream about it at night, and couldn't even take a day off on New Year's eve without feeling antsy deserve my upmost respect.

Oh, I remember that scene, pretty 'heavy' movie.

abbydaddy, Mike157, woodysone and 3 others like this.
  5. JustinFournier

May 7, 2012
    So he eats the octopus live, then he dies?

I mean, kill the thing first. Play stupid games...

Mike157, Odog27 and jus_gus like this.
  6. jus_gus

Aug 30, 2011
    I’m not sure, it was really quick, and it was dark with just some light from the submarine. The shark looked big in comparison to the giant squid. It was probably a great white shark.

7. JustinFournier

May 7, 2012
    Maybe a not so giant, giant squid lol. I thought they battled Sperm Whales.

duramax, Mike157, woodysone and 2 others like this.
  8. fonedork

Jul 7, 2011
    Nah, he passes out when she touches his hand cause of plot in that movie. I heard they did like four takes of that scene and the actor ate a big live octopus for each one. Anyway you are right about win stupid prizes. There’s a video of a live streamer girl who tries to eat an octopus this big and it bites her back and suctions all over her face, I think it’s too early in the morning to post it though

Mike157, duramax, Box_Opener and 4 others like this.
  9. JustinFournier

May 7, 2012
    Hahahahahhaaha. That’s awesome.

duramax, Box_Opener, Mike157 and 3 others like this.
  10. bluemax_1

bluemax_1 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 17, 2014
    Been there, done that. Lol.

A little disconcerting when your food is trying to slither off the plate, then proceeds to try to crawl back out of your mouth. Like many other animals (including snakes), the body still moves without the head.

But hey, I was younger and dumber, and couldn't turn down the challenge from the locals :p.

While on vacation (12-13 years old), I recall my first time ever, seeing someone eat a baby octopus live, as in literally fresh caught out of the ocean while standing thigh deep in the ocean.

An older fisherman in some country in Asia (can't recall which) was fishing in the ocean and caught a baby octopus. We were fascinated, and he offered it to us (he didn't speak any English). When we declined, he mimed something we took to mean, "Good to eat", then chomped right into it while we were all standing in the ocean. Watching it wriggle as he chewed it was...

Then, years later, I got to try it in a restaurant. Lol. Raw octopus is incredibly chewy.

11. jus_gus

Aug 30, 2011
    I don’t recall the exact measurements

https://www.google.com/search?q=fir...t=safari#sbfbu=1&pi=first film of giant squid

Yeah they showed the scars around the sperm whales mouths from eating giant squid.

12. 000Robert

000Robert Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 28, 2020
    I wouldn't have ate it even if they had a gun to my head. Yuk!

Mike157, duramax, bluemax_1 and 2 others like this.
  13. Nathan the Machinist

Nathan the Machinist KnifeMaker / Machinist / Evil Genius Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 13, 2007
    I don't believe in reincarnation. I think we're on this planet one time. You may as well shake things up a bit, try new things. Of all the weirdest things I've eaten, I think the grossest thing out there is probably raisins. Yuck. Sad little zombified grapes.

The Chinese think we're crazy for eating cheese. They're not wrong, if you think about it....

Dr_Void, mendezj, duramax and 7 others like this.
  14. bluemax_1

bluemax_1 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 17, 2014
    That's probably because a lot of Asians are lactose intolerant to some degree. If we're talking about fermented/aged foods though, I think they have a lot more types. Lol.

Dr_Void, woodysone, duramax and 4 others like this.
  15. kurpak

kurpak Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 31, 2008
    Eating cheese is crazy, but a Century egg is perfectly normal. :eek:

woodysone, duramax, jus_gus and 4 others like this.
  16. Nathan the Machinist

Nathan the Machinist KnifeMaker / Machinist / Evil Genius Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 13, 2007
    I heard that Tony Bose died. That sucks. He was good.

Mike157, mendezj, fonedork and 7 others like this.
  17. Odog27

Odog27 Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2011
    That does suck. Always loved his designs. Really nice traditionals.

18. mendezj

mendezj Basic Member Basic Member

Nov 24, 1998
    Well, I’d rather have a cheeseburger than rats or bats, brother man. :)

duramax, Odog27, woodysone and 3 others like this.
  19. mendezj

mendezj Basic Member Basic Member

Nov 24, 1998
    Tony is one of the very best humans I have ever met. And I say that very seriously and consciously. It seems as if only the good die. He was a truly good man. If only there were more of us with so much kindness in our hearts. I’ll miss the Wiz every day.

duramax, Mike157, Odog27 and 5 others like this.
  20. fonedork

Jul 7, 2011
    China clearly wins the horrifying world food contest, but cheese making is pretty horrific. Not everyone knows you have to extract a baby calf’s stomach to obtain the rennet that you need in order to make cheese. I believe in a sort of version of reincarnation. I think when I die, I will get reborn as you, in the past, as a baby, then after I die as you, I will get reborn as my grandma, in the past, and so on, going through every person living or who ever lived or will live, living every single human life in history one at a time from beginning to end, but it actually happens all at the same time, sort of in the blink of a giant God eye in space.

duramax, Odog27, Box_Opener and 4 others like this.