1. BladeForums has ZERO TOLERANCE for extremism or calls of violence. We request your assistance dealing with this as we do not want to see the site shut down due to violent threats. Please see this thread here in Tech Support: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bladeforums-has-a-zero-tolerance-policy-towards-threats-of-violence-extremism-be-warned.1769537/

Random Thought Thread

Discussion in 'Carothers Performance Knives' started by Nathan the Machinist, Jul 17, 2017.

1. The Amazing Virginian

The Amazing Virginian Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 24, 2010
    Obviously I'm not Nathan, but FWIW I can recommend the Victoronix Model 79 with cigar cutter:

Victorinox Cutter.jpg

I use this, and an iii Corona cutter I bought in Italy probably 20 years ago and which still cuts beautifully but which I don't think you could find anymore. I also have a huge desktop guillotine which could easily cut your finger clean off if you aren't careful.

I dont use one, but a lot of guys I know have been happy with Xikar cutters. If I was to buy a new one, that's what I would buy.

Good luck!

Odog27, jus_gus and Mike157 like this.
  2. bluemax_1

bluemax_1 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 17, 2014
    Lol. A few years ago, during a regular checkup, my physician asked if I drank alcohol. When I told him I'd been teetotal for some time, he first asked if it was because of a problem with alcoholism in the past. When I replied in the negative, he said, "At your age, you might want to reconsider it. You're in good health, but I'm sure you've read the articles about the benefits of 1 or 2 alcoholic drinks a day. Just something to consider".

Yep, the family doc advised me to start drinking. :D

1AbominAble1, Odog27, mendezj and 4 others like this.
  3. Nathan the Machinist

Nathan the Machinist KnifeMaker / Machinist / Evil Genius Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 13, 2007
    I wouldn't say they're necessarily my favorite cigar, but I really enjoy The Bahia B line. They're made from the trimmings of pretty good cigars so they're a very affordable every day kind of smoke that taste good and smoke well. They're not high in nicotine but they're pretty strong flavored with a nice spicy flavor. Their worst attribute is a lousy end cap. I wet the end and slice around the very tip with my pocket knife. A trimmer will bust it every time. I keep a toothy edge on my pocket knife so it slices through the tobacco cleanly. An overly stropped edge wont cut it.

4. jus_gus

jus_gus Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 30, 2011
    Wow! That’s a beautiful view Derrel!:thumbsup::)

Odog27, woodysone and Big DJ like this.
  5. mendezj

mendezj Basic Member Basic Member

Nov 24, 1998
    True story. A friend of mine went to see a doctor. Doctor asks: do you drink? My friend: yes, I do. Doc: how much? Friend: well, you know, socially. Doc: how much is that? Friend: well, one or two. Doc: one or two drinks? Friend: oh, no, bottles.

6. TRfromMT

TRfromMT Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Jan 4, 2016
    Pro tip... when you get home and there is a new box with a knife on the kitchen counter, just ignore it. Do not let your wife know you are excited about it in any way. Pretend it isn't even there. It's no more important than parts to repair the oven.

She has a way of detecting that certain excitement mixed with probably having to grovel/ask forgiveness.

It needs to be like the scene in the Predator where Arnold is covered in mud and the Predator cannot even see him 6 inches away.

Don't. Let. On.

Ice in your veins, boys.

7. BIGDORK

BIGDORK Gold Member Gold Member

May 27, 2018
    Looks like a 2 hour wait in the covid test line, might as well indulge
    [​IMG]
    Father in law tested positive, he has no symptoms and it's been 2 weeks since exposure but, better safe than sorry

8. woodysone

woodysone Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 21, 2005
    How long did it take to perfect this technique?:eek: If that was my house I’d be all over that box and shortly after I can hear “what did you get this time?”:cool: Maybe you can share some of your other techniques?;)

9. gunslinger387

gunslinger387 Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 31, 2010
    Won’t cut it! Haha

Odog27, jus_gus and Mike157 like this.
  10. jus_gus

jus_gus Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 30, 2011
    That sucks. Hope everything goes well for you. At least you have a good cigar to pass the time

11. BIGDORK

BIGDORK Gold Member Gold Member

May 27, 2018
    Thanks man. I expect everything will be fine but, have to be safe and skip the family gathering this year. Which might actually be a blessing:p

Mike157, Odog27, jus_gus and 4 others like this.
  12. Lorien

Lorien KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 5, 2005
    I'm expecting something in the nail, can't wait for it to show up
    [​IMG]

Mike157, vkp78, Odog27 and 8 others like this.
  13. JustinFournier

JustinFournier Gold Member Gold Member

May 7, 2012
    Yesterday the kids (6, 6 and 4) decided to play outside after dinner, it’s dark up here by that time and happened to be raining.

So they asked to take their LED lanterns with them from the camping stuff. Whatever no problem.

When I left for work at 1am I saw this at the front door.

42364C9E-AEE8-40C1-AF16-1ACB69043696.jpeg

Edit: In case it doesn’t come across well in the pic, they made a rudimentary fire ring and packed it with their version of kindling from the yard.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2020
  14. Richard338

Richard338 Gold Member Gold Member

May 3, 2005
    God damn!
    Reminds me of my ingrown big toe nail, 30 years ago. The doctor cut it right up the middle with scissors, pulled half of it off, and wiped something in the raw bed that turned the flesh gray. It eventually all grew back.

fatfrog, Odog27, woodysone and 2 others like this.
  15. Nathan the Machinist

Nathan the Machinist KnifeMaker / Machinist / Evil Genius Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 13, 2007
    ^nope

:eek:

fatfrog, Odog27, woodysone and 4 others like this.
  16. benchrest308

benchrest308 Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 13, 2014
    She gets more excited than I do. I have let packages sit for days unopened. Drives her nuts. Makes me laugh.

17. SpyderPhreak

SpyderPhreak Rocketman for hire Platinum Member

Apr 13, 2004
    BTDT, it sucks! :eek: Last one was about a year ago. Hope the new one grows quickly, it sucks until they've grown back.

At least they didn't try to light it? ;) :thumbsup:

Mike157, fatfrog, woodysone and 2 others like this.
  18. comis

comis Gold Member Gold Member

May 17, 2013
    Happy Thanksgiving to those celebrate it, and hope all could stay safe and healthy thru out this time. Family is everything.

Mike157, vkp78, Wood5045 and 8 others like this.
  19. Hard Knocks

Hard Knocks Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 1, 2012
    Happy Thanksgiving all!

Mike157, vkp78, Wood5045 and 8 others like this.
  20. jlauffer

jlauffer Dissident Aggressor Platinum Member

Apr 11, 2016
    Happy Thanksgiving!

Mike157, vkp78, jus_gus and 8 others like this.