1. BladeForums has ZERO TOLERANCE for extremism or calls of violence. We request your assistance dealing with this as we do not want to see the site shut down due to violent threats. Please see this thread here in Tech Support: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bladeforums-has-a-zero-tolerance-policy-towards-threats-of-violence-extremism-be-warned.1769537/

Random Thought Thread

Discussion in 'Carothers Performance Knives' started by Nathan the Machinist, Jul 17, 2017.

1. fonedork

fonedork Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jul 7, 2011
    Yeah I was wrong about calf rennet, I just read that there are some alternatives which are rather widely used to make cheese.

mendezj, duramax, Mike157 and 2 others like this.
  2. Big DJ

Big DJ Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 29, 2013
    Whew! I love cheese.

mendezj, duramax, Mike157 and 3 others like this.
  3. jus_gus

jus_gus Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 30, 2011
    Me too!

Last edited: Nov 23, 2020
    mendezj, duramax, Mike157 and 2 others like this.
  4. The Amazing Virginian

The Amazing Virginian Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 24, 2010
    Nothing wrong with eating cheese. That's just crazy.

I was out to dinner with some Koreans and they got my colleague to eat a live baby octopus, and that baby's tentacles were apparently sucking his throat. He had a very hard time with it.

More than 20 years ago, I ate a live baby eel as a special delicacy as the guest of honor at a Korean wedding reception. Chew hard and chew fast and have the soju at the ready to wash that bad boy down.

Oh, and I was not friends with Tony like some of you, but I met him at a few shows and had some pleasant conversations with him. Got pulled for a couple of his knives. In addition to being an important figure in the knife making world, he always struck me as a real good guy and down to earth, too, although he would have had every reason to have a huge ego based on his accomplishments. RIP. :(

mendezj, Box_Opener, duramax and 6 others like this.
  5. JBC_Hunter

JBC_Hunter

Jan 9, 2015
    Anybody know what edge angle Nathan set the FK2 too?

jus_gus, Odog27 and woodysone like this.
  6. Nathan the Machinist

Nathan the Machinist KnifeMaker / Machinist / Evil Genius Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 13, 2007
    18 dps.

JBC_Hunter, jus_gus, Mike157 and 4 others like this.
  7. Nathan the Machinist

Nathan the Machinist KnifeMaker / Machinist / Evil Genius Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 13, 2007
    Put a little splash of vermouth in your gin with ice.

... you're welcome....

8. mendezj

mendezj Basic Member Basic Member

Nov 24, 1998
    Just because. Shucking my mind, shucking my heart.
    AA3B5C47-D00D-454E-B19B-8FFBEF4226E9.jpeg

Xr6x, Box_Opener, Hard Knocks and 8 others like this.
  9. The Amazing Virginian

The Amazing Virginian Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 24, 2010
    Then toss that ice and add some olives or a lemon twist.

10. 1AbominAble1

1AbominAble1 Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 26, 2010
    I love venison nacho night, and leftover nachos for lunch the next day. Mmmm Deer!
    2F40A744-D0FD-4285-B1F1-F7A8DAB753DE.jpeg

11. Nystagmus

Nystagmus Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Or glance at the vermouth bottle as you pour the gin. Somebody famous said that...Churchill maybe?

EDIT* Churchhill: "Glance at the vermouth bottle briefly while pouring the juniper distillate freely."

Last edited: Nov 24, 2020
  12. abbydaddy

abbydaddy Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 14, 2014
    I feel like about the only thing that would be more extra than a Tony Bose Oyster Knife would be a Carothers Performance Knives Oyster Knife.

jus_gus, Odog27, Box_Opener and 2 others like this.
  13. JBC_Hunter

JBC_Hunter

Jan 9, 2015
    Thanks!!

jus_gus, Xr6x, Odog27 and 1 other person like this.
  14. Big DJ

Big DJ Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 29, 2013
    20201124_164749.jpg

Beautiful sunset from our back porch tonight.

15. mendezj

mendezj Basic Member Basic Member

Nov 24, 1998
    I have a friend, a young guy, former Marine Captain, who was having serious cholesterol problems. His doctor was considering prescribing medication. So recently he went back to the doctor with his blood work and the doctor notes than his cholesterol had gone down 50 points. The doctor asked him if he had been doing anything different. He said, no. Nothing at all. The doctor asked him if he ate meat and my friend answered that he ate meat at least three times a week. What kind of meat? My friend: Well, I shot a moose earlier this year and that’s what I’ve been eating. That’s it, said the good doc.

16. Box_Opener

Box_Opener Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 21, 2018
  17. benchrest308

benchrest308 Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 13, 2014
    @Nathan the Machinist I think you enjoy cigars. Which is your favourite and what cutter do you use? Sign me up for a Carothers cutter if that ever came to be. I'm in the market for a cutter as I have been using a punch for the longest time and now believe I'm missing out.

18. 1AbominAble1

1AbominAble1 Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 26, 2010
    Nothing but the good stuff!

I thought when it was only 3 times a week that you just say no, like when they ask if you drink alcohol :)

19. 91bravo

91bravo Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 29, 2008
    A glass of red wine with your dinner and some green roasted peanuts as a snack, will help lower your cholesterol significantly.

20. 91bravo

91bravo Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 29, 2008
    Morning CPKers!
    [​IMG]