Random Thought Thread

Discussion in 'Carothers Performance Knives' started by Nathan the Machinist, Jul 17, 2017.

1. WValtakis

WValtakis Hand Engraving, Ti anodizing, and mods Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

May 29, 2004
    Hmmmm...sand in your "sheath", sounds painful:eek:

2. fonedork

fonedork Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jul 7, 2011
    I appreciate the metaphor but also felt literal pain listening to the sand grinding against the blade just now

3. Richard338

Richard338 Gold Member Gold Member

May 3, 2005
    I hear you.
    I carefully polished a tanto up past 3000 grit and did numerous cycles of etch to bring out the hamon.
    Then I chiseled out a wooden saya, got lazy and used the corner of my grinder wheel with 36 grit ceramic belt on it to quickly remove the wood...test fit...SCRATCHHH!
    A couple stray particles got me. I sure didn't save any time with that grinder after all.

woodysone, Mike157, WValtakis and 3 others like this.
  4. fonedork

fonedork Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jul 7, 2011
    Ah man that sucks!!

5. Richard338

May 3, 2005
    Some lessons I would prefer to learn without the hands-on experience, but it does make the deepest impression.
    No abrasives near saya!

vkp78, woodysone, Mike157 and 4 others like this.
  6. Lorien

Lorien KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 5, 2005
    I found a nice scratch in my 3K finish...

7. Richard338

May 3, 2005
    I'll confess a second incident. I was sanding at 4000 grit 3M polishing sheet using an EDM stone as a block.
    The 120 grit stone made its way through the polishing sheet...

8. Lorien

Lorien KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 5, 2005
    fuuuuu....

speaking of 120 grit
    [​IMG]

vkp78, duramax, jus_gus and 12 others like this.
  9. bluemax_1

bluemax_1 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 17, 2014
    Can we name the 2nd blade profile from the top, off a user poll from this list below? :p

1617142355055.jpg

jus_gus, benchrest308, Odog27 and 8 others like this.
  10. trevitrace

trevitrace Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 21, 2013
    [​IMG]

Checks out.

11. Lorien

Dec 5, 2005
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I was smashing this rock today with the sledge and a big chunk of it popped off with a full force blow and rocketed right at my crotch, hitting my dick. It hurt for ten minutes, but I'm glad I didn't take it in the scrote. Thought to myself that maybe I should be wearing a cup

abbydaddy, vkp78, Box_Opener and 12 others like this.
  12. WValtakis

WValtakis Hand Engraving, Ti anodizing, and mods Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

May 29, 2004
    :eek:....paging @Mecha for lightweight space age junk protection:cool:

vkp78, jus_gus, BIGDORK and 7 others like this.
  13. Mecha

Mecha Titanium Bladesmith Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 27, 2013
    Hell ya, titanium ball cups. With this latest scam, I'll be rich!

vkp78, Murphjd25, jus_gus and 9 others like this.
  14. Lorien

Dec 5, 2005
    can I pay with Instagram likes?

vkp78, Box_Opener, Mecha and 6 others like this.
  15. WValtakis

May 29, 2004
    I'll vouch for this guy x100:D

Box_Opener, Mecha, jus_gus and 3 others like this.
  16. fatfrog

fatfrog Basic Member Basic Member

Jul 26, 2019
    Who's ready for the third Boot Dagger sale today?

17. 1AbominAble1

1AbominAble1 Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 26, 2010
    last week I was smashing some river rock that was cemented in place by the previous owner of my home. When the sledge hit a large rock flew out and just missed hitting me waist high, bounced off of the house brick, and barely missed my new truck. I placed myself between the rocks and the truck after that as I’d rather take a rock than let it dent the truck or break a window. I’ll heal and the blemish on the truck will hurt more than the rock;)
    I know, I’m weird.

vkp78, duramax, benchrest308 and 7 others like this.
  18. SharpPancake

SharpPancake Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 30, 2018
    [​IMG]
    I heard that some of you like 'em polished.
    This is my Teräva Skrama, with blended, sorta-convexed and polished edge. And as a true savage, I applied a micro bevel :D
    I kinda like the transition between polished and satin finish.

jus_gus, Ian80, vkp78 and 2 others like this.
  19. duramax

duramax KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Nov 29, 2012
    I think your just a true car nut !!! :) And your not alone out there !! I know I think the same way :)
    I bought a new f250 in 99. I had it a week and a friend asked my help to move him. I said ok but we are NOT using my truck lol. I got there parked far away. But yet someone decided to try and put a chair in the trucks bed. Of course they attempted to go over the bed side not the tailgate. Well they missed by a long shot. It took my buddy and I four attempts to get an exact match !! After that I started yellow taping off my truck lol. Now I just keep a daily driver inexpensive truck lol. So yes your not alone lol
    :)

20. TRfromMT

TRfromMT Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Jan 4, 2016
    Ask @Lorien about being a human rock guard....

#©o¢krockblock